VB Threads vs. Timers Design Issue
Author Message
 VB Threads vs. Timers Design Issue

Hello All,
I am currently writing a VB Winsock program where I will have a pool of up 5 ports to connect to. I would like to be able to use all of these ports simultaneously if possible. As I see it there are two possibilities

1) Create one executable with a control array of timers and winsock controls and connect each of these winsock/timer pairs to a separate Port and process my data when these timers go off (not true multithreading but maybe good enough).

2) Create 2 programs, the first is a driver which creates instances of an out of process OLE Server which does the communications in it's own thread.

Does either of these approaches offer any advantage over the other ? This program(s) will be run by itself on it's own NT Server 4 machine which will have 64Meg of memory.

Thanks,
Dave

David winslow

Alliance of Computer Professionals

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB Threads vs. Timers Design Issue

    Why don't you just create a single standalone ActiveX EXE program?  If you set the threading to Thread Per Object, then each multiuse class in your program that you instantiate with a CreateObject call will be run in it's own thread.

--
Paul Parkhurst
Software Engineer

[...]

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB Threading issue

2. VB Com and Threading issues

3. Server Timers vs. Windows Timers for RS232 polling

4. N-Tier Architecture Design Issues in VB.NET

5. M = Design(x,y,z) /vs/ Design x,y,z

6. web service and updating web reference with vb.net design time vs run time

7. web service and updating web reference with vb.net design time vs run time

8. VB 5 Timers vs using API

9. VB Long vs DWORD Issue

10. C++ ActiveX vs VB. Collection issue

11. International Issues - Locale Code Page Vs. VB Code Page

12. VB Long vs DWORD Issue