Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?
Author Message
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

I'm trying to convince my boss that we should go with VB 5 as the front end
for a relatively small SQL Server database project.  He would prefer to go
with Access 97 as the front end - why I do not know.

Can some of you guys out there give my some pros and cons on this?  Access
97 allows for the use of Active X controls, ODBCDirect, RDO... What is the
big advantage to VB 5?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated....

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

Here's my $0.02 worth ......

Use VB !!!  I started out using Access 1.1 / 2.0 and though application
development was pretty easy, you just don't seem to get the freedom that VB
gives you.

Applications distributed under access, run under the access run-time
(msarnxxx.dll) and is effectively Microsoft Access with the database window
drawn in the same colour as the background.  In other words, the users are
effectively using access.  This could pose security risks - the users could
get at the underlying data source directly.

Additionally, depending upon the experience of the programmer, there can be
a temptation to use Macros as a short cut to modules.  This in itself is
very bad.  You have absolutely no program control when the application is
running a macro.  If it stumbles across a run-time error, your prgram craps
out!

VB5 is in a world of it's own (I admit I am biased).  Not only can you
create standalone executables, but you can also create your own ActiveX
controls, ActiveX DLLs, activeX document executables etc...

It broadens your scope for future development.  By using the COM model, you
can create your business functions as dlls or other com objects, and then
port these directly for use either under VB, Internet / Intranet - or
whatever you like.

Happy persuasion !!!!!!

Steve

Quote:

>I'm trying to convince my boss that we should go with VB 5 as the front end
>for a relatively small SQL Server database project.  He would prefer to go
>with Access 97 as the front end - why I do not know.

>Can some of you guys out there give my some pros and cons on this?  Access
>97 allows for the use of Active X controls, ODBCDirect, RDO... What is the
>big advantage to VB 5?

>Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated....

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

For a small project with a few users and no chance of any future
modifications/enhancements then there is nothing wrong with Access 97.
Unfortunately projects never seem to stay that way...

Access is a heavyweight tool it load up every time you want quick access to
your data. If you have low spec PCs this could be a problem. (Then again VB5
isn't exactly miserly with its resource requirements.) If these resources
are useful (eg the report writer) then it might swing things back in favour
of Access.

You don't have to pay for each copy of your VB program. With Access you will
have to have Access installed.

If you move to Access 98 you either have to rebuild and retest your program,
or run Access 97 and Access 98 simultaneously. With VB you could just leave
it there.

VB5 looks better on your CV (actually you'd better not try that one with
your boss).

Your systems auditors might have a problem with the freedom that Access
gives to your users.

OCXs are far more likely to have been tested thoroughly with VB than Access.

More service packs get issued for VB than Access.

You can do a three-tier architecture with VB.

Quote:

>I'm trying to convince my boss that we should go with VB 5 as the front end
>for a relatively small SQL Server database project.  He would prefer to go
>with Access 97 as the front end - why I do not know.

>Can some of you guys out there give my some pros and cons on this?  Access
>97 allows for the use of Active X controls, ODBCDirect, RDO... What is the
>big advantage to VB 5?

>Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated....

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

I agree. Applications designed and built in Access never have the
professional, solid feel of a VB application.

SimonJ
PC Pro Magazine

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

Using Access like a Front-End to a SQL Server Database is better than VB,
ok you lose the flexibility of VB, but if the app is data intensive you
best bett is Access.
Come on boys (David,Steve) ...
Buy Access every time? Did you ever heard about the Office Developers
Edition?
Security risks? ... yes  ... if you implement security dead wrong.
Macros??? The number of programmers that today use Macros is minimal again
the number of programmers that "fall in the temptation" of use Data
Controls in VB ...

You cant do ActiveX controls, ...?    Ok in this I agree, but, you need
now?
I have 5 years working with VB and 2 in Access ... believe me, for
non-exteme flexibility, self contained, intensive data app. go with Access
..
For a master-detail relation, what do you use? a grid ? ... come on ...

--
Alberto Borbolla
Tecnologa en Sistemas

(to send mail replace the X ...)

Quote:
> I'm trying to convince my boss that we should go with VB 5 as the front
end
> for a relatively small SQL Server database project.  He would prefer to
go
> with Access 97 as the front end - why I do not know.

> Can some of you guys out there give my some pros and cons on this?
Access
> 97 allows for the use of Active X controls, ODBCDirect, RDO... What is
the
> big advantage to VB 5?

> Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated....

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

At the risk of making this into a Access97/VB Battle, I'm going to correct a
few statements made by David Barker.  First of all, you don't have to pay
for each copy of your Access Program, and you don't have to have Access
installed to run an application developed in Access (Ever here of Run-Time
applications).  With Access 97, you can save your app in an MDE format that
removes all the source code behind your app, which will enhance performance
on other machines.

For a real discussion on when and why to use A7 and VB5, check with the
experts.  There you will find more in depth and intelligent discussions as
to which app is better for your database.  Check with Ken Getz, Mike
Gilbert, Dev Ashish, or someone that has actually worked with both A7 and
VB5 for some intelligent insight.  The advice that you just received isn't
accurate at all, so I wouldn't suggest going to your boss with that
information.
Hope this helps.

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

1. Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

2. Deciding between Access 97 and VB 5 - Any advice out there?

3. Req advice on how to activate Excel Macro using Access Module (Msoffice 97)

4. Req advice on how to activate Excel Macro using Access Module (Msoffice 97)

5. Replication of Access 97 with VB5 Need Advice and Suggestions

6. VB 5.0, OLE, Access 97, Graph 97

7. Access 97: VBA-DAO-Access 97 synchronization problem?

8. Converting VB Code from Access 97 to Access 2002 or higher

9. Access 97 -> Access 2000 VB Scope Problem

10. Creating new Access 97 database by VB code in Access 2000 module

11. Converting VB code modules in Access 95 to Access 97

12. Use VB to Detect Access 97 or Access 2000