VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls
Author Message
 VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls

Hi there;
I have some controls (Combobox and Label) on my form that are not visible
anymore. After some investigation I have noticed the value in the left
property is -74000 or in this area. I don't need those controls and I would
like to delete them. One way (I thought) is to change the value for left to
100 or 1000, which makes them visible on the form. I am now able to delete
them, but! when I try to save the form, vb crashes and all is back to the
way it was before: the form with the hidden controls. It drives me mad!!!

Did anyone experience something similiar and can offer some help?

TIA

BTW I am using Visual Basic 6 with the latest Service Packs installed.

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls
Solved it;
They were hiding on another Tab on a SSTab Control. I could have sworn I
deleted them, but they were still there! Anyway VB still crashes when I
delete the controls from a tab which is not the one where the controls are
on.

Quote:
> Hi there;
> I have some controls (Combobox and Label) on my form that are not visible
> anymore. After some investigation I have noticed the value in the left
> property is -74000 or in this area. I don't need those controls and I
would
> like to delete them. One way (I thought) is to change the value for left
> 100 or 1000, which makes them visible on the form. I am now able to delete
> them, but! when I try to save the form, vb crashes and all is back to the
> way it was before: the form with the hidden controls. It drives me mad!!!

> Did anyone experience something similiar and can offer some help?

> TIA

> BTW I am using Visual Basic 6 with the latest Service Packs installed.

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls

Are you using an SSTab control? Setting the left property of controls to large -ve numbers is the way SSTab "hides" the controls that are not on the current tab. You should leave these controls alone or recreate your form using the TabStrip control which does not use the horrible trick.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

  I have some controls (Combobox and Label) on my form that are not visible
  anymore. After some investigation I have noticed the value in the left
  property is -74000 or in this area. I don't need those controls and I would
  like to delete them. One way (I thought) is to change the value for left to
  100 or 1000, which makes them visible on the form. I am now able to delete
  them, but! when I try to save the form, vb crashes and all is back to the
  way it was before: the form with the hidden controls. It drives me mad!!!

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls
Make a backup copy of the form, then open the form in
notepad and delete the definition of the control.

Always make the backup first.

Quote:

>Solved it;
>They were hiding on another Tab on a SSTab Control. I could have sworn I
>deleted them, but they were still there! Anyway VB still crashes when I
>delete the controls from a tab which is not the one where the controls are
>on.

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls

2. calling Session.Contents.Remove in VB COM = crash!!

3. Word Automation Crash (-2147417851) and other strange errors

4. Strange problem - VB5 crashing

5. VB/Inet Control component crashes VB

6. Strange VB6 IDE crash

7. Removing entries from Add/Remove list in control panel

8. VB5-Debug crashes after Load or Hide

9. Show/Hide causes system crash

10. Remove Hidden Characters

11. Removing Hidden Text