GREAT QUESTION NEED GREAT HELP
Author Message
 GREAT QUESTION NEED GREAT HELP

I have a great idea to create a application (secret until it is fully
developed) and it need to write and read files from the hard disc. The
problem is that I want to open the file(my application generated file) with
my own application when users try to open the file with Windows Explorer or
through My Computer.

Would you help me to solve this problem by giving proper guidance? Kindly

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:54:26 GMT
 GREAT QUESTION NEED GREAT HELP
You need to register your file extension with Windows file associations. I'm
not sure of the API that will do this when you install your application, but
you can add a new file association by opening windows explorer, and select
folder options under the tools menu. It should be fairly straight forward
from here, but look at some of the other associations to get an idea of what
you need to do.

PJ

Quote:
> I have a great idea to create a application (secret until it is fully
> developed) and it need to write and read files from the hard disc. The
> problem is that I want to open the file(my application generated file)
with
> my own application when users try to open the file with Windows Explorer
or
> through My Computer.

> Would you help me to solve this problem by giving proper guidance? Kindly

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:12:25 GMT
 GREAT QUESTION NEED GREAT HELP
Thanking you for your great help sir. Kindly give a brief description. It
will be a great help. Send your reply even it is very small

Quote:
> You need to register your file extension with Windows file associations.
I'm
> not sure of the API that will do this when you install your application,
but
> you can add a new file association by opening windows explorer, and select
> folder options under the tools menu. It should be fairly straight forward
> from here, but look at some of the other associations to get an idea of
what
> you need to do.

> PJ

> > I have a great idea to create a application (secret until it is fully
> > developed) and it need to write and read files from the hard disc. The
> > problem is that I want to open the file(my application generated file)
> with
> > my own application when users try to open the file with Windows Explorer
> or
> > through My Computer.

> > Would you help me to solve this problem by giving proper guidance?
Kindly

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:52:10 GMT
 GREAT QUESTION NEED GREAT HELP
Ok, use windows explorer and create a new text file (test.txt).
Change the file extension to .xyz (test.xyz)
Double click the file (text.xyz) and windows will attempt to open it.
Because it doesnt understand what an xyz file is, you will get the "open
with" dialog. Select a program to use and click the "always use this
program" check box, and click ok

Now click the start button, Run, and type REGEDIT in the run box and click
ok.

You will see a hive called HKEY_Classes_Root. Expand this and you will see a
long list of the file extensions. Find .xyz and click on it to open it. In
the right hand pane you will see a value DEFAULT="xyz_auto_file" or
something like that.
In the menu, click on "Registry" and "Export Registry File"
Type in a filename "Test1" and make sure "Selected Branch
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xyz" is selected
Click ok and this will write a .reg file

Now look further down the list for a folder marked "xyz_auto_file" (or what
ever was in the default value above)
Expand this and you will get a structure that looks like:
-xyz_auto_file
--Shell
---Open
----Command
In the command folder you will see a default value c:\windows\NOTEPAD.EXE
"%1" (or what ever program you selected)
Click on the xyz_auto_file folder to select it. Click the menu Registry,
Export Registry File and write a file "Test2" enauring that the Selected
Branch "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xyz_auto_file" is selected.

Close REGEDIT.

Find the two reg files we created (Test1.reg and test2.reg) and use notepad
to move the text from test2 to test1
(remove the extra Reg4 tag)

You will end up with a file like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xyz_auto_file\shell]

If you incluce this Reg file in your application package it will
automatically register xyz files to use notepad.
Ok, so you dont want to use xyz files with notepad, but this gives you the
basics for creating a reg file for your own file extension and application.

The only drawback is that you must have your app installed at a know
location (in the example "C:\Windows\Notepad.exe"

You can do this by adding a key: ForceUseDefDir=1 in the setup section of
your Setup.Lst file made by the package and deployment wizard

Quote:
> I have a great idea to create a application (secret until it is fully
> developed) and it need to write and read files from the hard disc. The
> problem is that I want to open the file(my application generated file)
with
> my own application when users try to open the file with Windows Explorer
or
> through My Computer.

> Would you help me to solve this problem by giving proper guidance? Kindly

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:26:18 GMT

1. Delphi = GREAT And VB5 = Not so great

2. In GREAT need - Qbasic gurus HELP!

3. HELP! Need great editor for processing ASCII text

4. Need Foreign Testers for Great Access Tool

5. Good Visual Basic Developers needed for GREAT company!!

6. VB developers needed for our GREAT software company!!

7. Need of a variable greater than a Double

8. Need Foreign Testers for Great VB ADO Component

9. These re great but what I need to do:

10. A Few Questions: ClipCursor(), SetPalette, possibly pointers, looking for Great Graphics Program

11. Great Help Page for Newbies and Power Users

12. Free HTML Help Tool, works great with VB6