VB eating accellerator keystrokes!!
Author Message
 VB eating accellerator keystrokes!!

Hello.  I am working with some third party controls that do not support
accellerator keys, because there is not a proper Caption (specifically, APEX
Combo and List).  I thought it would be easy just to trap the appropriate
KeyDown events (with vbAltmask), but it appears that VB is eating them,
presumably assuming that it has exclusive use of accellerator
key-combinations.

Right now, I am not happy with the two potential workarounds I have
discovered (below). If you have resolved this problem in the past, PLEASE
let me know what worked.

a) I may be able to use the Windows API TranslateMessage to convert the key
in question to an unprintable ASCII character, then hope that it shows up in
KeyPress
b) I can use the Antenna control to receive all the Windows keyboard events
directly, before VB messes with them.  However, this does not give me the
nice KeyPreview function - I would have to add the form AND every control on
it to the list of window handles to watch.  I assume this would be quite
inefficient.

Chase

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB eating accellerator keystrokes!!
The answer to this is to use a label control with the appropriate
accellerator in the caption and the tab order one less than the control you
want to recieve the focus.  Since labels can't recieve the focus, it passes
to the next control in the tab order.

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. GetAsyncKeyState eats the keystrokes???

2. GetAsyncKeyState eats the keystrokes???

3. Accellerator Table - Shortcut Menu Keys

4. VB program eating up RAM

5. Help - Memory Eating - VB/SQL6.5

6. VB program eating up RAM

7. VB.Net Editor keystrokes lag/slow to respond (VS.NET 2003)

8. How to make vb recognize keystrokes

9. Problem intercepting keystrokes in VB 4.0 form

10. Passing keystrokes to DOS via Windows clipboard using VB

11. Trap keystrokes in VB programs that is not the active program

12. Trap keystrokes in VB pro