COM component as a Visual component??
Author Message
 COM component as a Visual component??

How should I implement a COM component that I am using for a middle tier
(business rules layer)

Should I compile this as a separate DLL, or as a Visual Component to be used
in VB??

If I use it as a DLL, is there any way of putting it on the control palette,
and changing event code etc from there??

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:02:54 GMT
 COM component as a Visual component??
1. If this component will run on the same computer as the client app, you can
have a dll or exe or user control.  If it runs on a different computer, it has
to be exe.

The choice is really dictated by:

1. Is there any reason to run it as a stand alone application? If yes, it is
exe.
2.Will you use it with COM+?  If yes, it is dll.

Will you make  life for many developers easier if you provide visual interface?
usually business rules tier does not have any run-time interface (that what
presentation layer is for).

MSDN has a whole section on when to use which.  The same section has
step-by-step how to test both exes and dlls.

Quote:

--
Laura Meyerovich
Magnet Systems

Visual Basic, MS Access, Crystal Reports, SQL Server, and ASP independent
consultant.
Development, system integration, database design and data conversions.

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:14:36 GMT
 COM component as a Visual component??
On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:14:36 GMT, Laura N Meyerovich

Quote:

>1. If this component will run on the same computer as the client app, you can
>have a dll or exe or user control.  If it runs on a different computer, it has
>to be exe.

Not quite true, but close enough to be taken for granted.

With DCOM you can "wrap" a DLL with something called a surrogate. The
surrogate provided with NT is DllHost.exe, it's purpose in life is to
put a wrapper around a DLL that is called across the network.

Note that MTS and COM+ are essentially surrogates. And they will only
accept DLLs. With MTS and COM+ you'd hardly expect the client to be on
the same machine :).

Surrogates require some registry settings to be made, not usually a
great idea to go down this route - but it can be done.

Andrew

--- KazPlan Resource Planner ---
Multi-user resource planner
for Microsoft Windows
http://www.kazplan.com

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:40:53 GMT
 COM component as a Visual component??
well...
middle tier components are actually the logic of yr application wich means
they will not have interface (usually) and they will have to be programmed
so it will be easiest way to replace them without changing teh rest of the
application.
there is nothing special about writing a middle tier component except those
facts....also usually in n tier application you will use MTS to control yr
components - to transact logical components and database connection
components...if you are using mts - yr component must be a dll component if
not...depends...usually you will set it as an exe..

hoped i helped..

orit

Quote:
> How should I implement a COM component that I am using for a middle tier
> (business rules layer)

> Should I compile this as a separate DLL, or as a Visual Component to be
used
> in VB??

> If I use it as a DLL, is there any way of putting it on the control
palette,
> and changing event code etc from there??

> Any help appreciated

> Thanks

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:23:40 GMT

1. COM component as a Visual component??

2. VB COM component in Win2k Component Services

3. Republishing a component using Visual Component Manager does not work

4. Invoking a method in a Visual Basic COM component from C++

5. Read http source from my Visual Basic COM component

6. HOW TO: Create COM components with Visual Basic 6

7. Com and Com+ component

8. Where can i find Com+ Services type library or Component services com+ 1.0 for Win98

9. Visual Studio 6: A question about Visual Component Manager and VB.

10. Visual Components Visual Suite Deal

11. Visual Components Visual Writer 3.0 16 Bit OCX HELP

12. I want to create a component but how with visual basic or visual c