~ in file names
Author Message
 ~ in file names

Is there a way to configure NT or vb so that it does not put ~
in file names.

I am running the VB ide. It saves file names with ~ in the
project file. When we then try to share projects between
computers things don't work.

The funny thing is some computers consistently save the
project files with  ~'s in the files and some don't.

The directory structure is the same on all computers
This leads me to beleive that some configuration option
is different??

--
Jack Stephenson

  Sr Systems Analyst
  EDS Canada

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ~ in file names
Hi Jack

I think I can guess what's going on.  Only certain file systems support long
(more than 8.3) filenames.  NT may or may not be set up for them; I'm
guessing yours isn't.

Even when a machine supports long filenames, it also has to support
restricted filenames to support legacy software - such as DOS, Win 3.1, and
short file systems.  So every long filename is given a short equivalent,
which is normally generated by removing everything after the seventh
character, then adding back on a tilde (~) and a unique number.  For example

    Long                                         Short
    ------------------------------            -----------------------
    MySpecialVBFile3.txt             MySpec~1.txt
    MySpecialVBFile4.txt             MySpec~2.txt

I don't know what the solution to your specific problem, but if these are
the problems you are encountering, then understanding the above should help
you develop a solution.

Chase

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ~ in file names

Quote:

>Is there a way to configure NT or vb so that it does not put ~
>in file names.

Sure; check the policy editor in NT. One of the options
is, "do not create 8.3 filenames for files"

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ~ in file names
Check the VB Annoyances page at http://www.gridlinx.com
George
GridLinx Software    Programming Tools for VB Programmers
Quote:

>Is there a way to configure NT or vb so that it does not put ~
>in file names.

>I am running the VB ide. It saves file names with ~ in the
>project file. When we then try to share projects between
>computers things don't work.

>The funny thing is some computers consistently save the
>project files with  ~'s in the files and some don't.

>The directory structure is the same on all computers
>This leads me to beleive that some configuration option
>is different??

>--
>Jack Stephenson

>  Sr Systems Analyst
>  EDS Canada

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can't Get full File name for Long file names

2. Get long file name from short file name

3. 8.3 file name to Long file name

4. Long File Names and Short File Names

5. Get Short File Name from Long File Name?

6. Long file names to 8.3 File names convertion

7. Long file names to short file name

8. Getting short file name from long file name:

9. Converting Long File Names to Short File Names

10. long file names to short file name

11. How to convert long file names to short file names

12. Api function to convert Long File Names To Short Dos File Names