difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?
Author Message
 difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?

In ADO, you can set both recordset and connection cursors to either
client-side or server-side.  What's the difference and what are the
dis/advantages of each one?

Thanks.

--
Mitch Abaza

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?

Quote:
> In ADO, you can set both recordset and connection cursors to either
> client-side or server-side.  What's the difference and what are the
> dis/advantages of each one?

Oversimplifying here, the data is marshalled completely to the client
in the case of a client-side cursor and you move a local pointer in the
recordset to access the data.  For a server-side cursor, part (or all)
of the data is marshalled back to the client, depending on the cursor
type you choose, and a pointer to the data is kept on the server.
Differences are mainly in the amount of data received, how stale it is
(server-side cursors can also show recent modifications by other users,
where client-side cursors cannot), and speed: a server-side, forward-
only, read-only cursor (called a firehose cursor) is the fastest access
method to data, according to Microsoft.

--
Kirk Allen Evans

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Server side or client side cursors?

2. ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor

3. ?client-side vs server-side cursors

4. Client Side and Server Side Cursors

5. attached Contact Item on server-side becomes attached Mail Item on client-side

6. How Can I Pass Data Between the Server Side and the Client Side VB/JScript

7. store server-side array in client side

8. Client-side Subroutine calling Server-Side Subroutine

9. pass server side vbscript to client side javascript

10. Client side VS server side

11. Client side scripting / server side scripting

12. Client Side and Server Side Scripts