VB ADO Client and Delphi DCOM Server
Author Message
 VB ADO Client and Delphi DCOM Server

I am a Systems Developer and am currently designing DCOM objects for a C/S
system using delphi 4.0.    The company I work for is also designing another
sytem using VB 5 for a front end.  Much of the data we are using is the same
and we would like to re-use our Middle tier with both the Delphi and VB
Clients.  I have not done any ADO programming with VB but my understanding
is that in a VB 3 tier system, there is a light weight ADO Recordset that is
used to receive, and pass data to and from the DCOM Server.  I have many
examples of hitting a database directly with ADO, but what I require is an
example of how to create one of these light weight ADO Recordsets that are
passed a recordset from the server.

If anyone could assist me in a code example of the client side ADO
Recordset, i'd much appreciate it.  If anyone else has had any experience
with this issue, I would be most interested in comparing notes.

Sincerely

   Systems Programmer/Analysist
   Veco Engineering Inc.
   Calgary, Ab, Canada

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB ADO Client and Delphi DCOM Server
The MDAC 2.0 documentation is pretty good here.  See the ADO and SQL Server
Developer's Guide in these docs.  Even if you're using Access or Oracle,
this will get you started.  Several other good examples in the documentation
too.  This documentation seems much better than the usual MS laundry list of
features.
--------------
Bob Peticolas
Peticolas & Associates
Rhode Island

Quote:

>I am a Systems Developer and am currently designing DCOM objects for a C/S
>system using Delphi 4.0.    The company I work for is also designing
another
>sytem using VB 5 for a front end.  Much of the data we are using is the
same
>and we would like to re-use our Middle tier with both the Delphi and VB
>Clients.  I have not done any ADO programming with VB but my understanding
>is that in a VB 3 tier system, there is a light weight ADO Recordset that
is
>used to receive, and pass data to and from the DCOM Server.  I have many
>examples of hitting a database directly with ADO, but what I require is an
>example of how to create one of these light weight ADO Recordsets that are
>passed a recordset from the server.

>If anyone could assist me in a code example of the client side ADO
>Recordset, i'd much appreciate it.  If anyone else has had any experience
>with this issue, I would be most interested in comparing notes.

>Sincerely

>   Systems Programmer/Analysist
>   Veco Engineering Inc.
>   Calgary, Ab, Canada

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO 2.0 Error passing recordset from DCOM Server to Remote Client

2. C++ DCOM server from VB Client (HOW?)

3. Install OLE Server for DCOM, Server and Client

4. DCOM server hangs: Win2000 client / NT server problem

5. Delphi Client/Server Wins Technical Excellence Award

6. DCOM settings needed on client and server for remote Outlook application

7. vb5 - DCOM - RS232 - Client server

8. How do I identify client from a DCOM server

9. DCOM client/server programming with Visual Basic

10. Q: DCOM Client/Server with VB5 ?

11. DCOM/Client/Server Contention Issues