UI question... request suggestions/comments
Author Message
 UI question... request suggestions/comments

Hi Folks,

    I posted this request, yesterday and a few of you e-mailed me asking
me to further elaborate what I am trying to accomplish.

    I need to develop a VB6 Database application, so that the users can
access the information in the database from anywhere (the desktops in
their office or over the internet).  Typically, our users would access
the information from their desktops when
in Office.  But when they travel, they periodically would like to check
the information via Internet.  I am trying to have a consistent UI, no
matter, how they access the information (via Internet or via their
desktop).

    The tools I have at hand, to develop this application are Visual
Studio 6.0 (I intend to use VB6 & Visual Interdev).  I will be using SQL
server 7.0 DB.  The desktop clients are Win 95, 98 and NT.  The internet
clients will be using standard browsers... IE & Netscape.

    This will be a 3-tier application.  I have a pretty good idea of the
Business services and the data services.  I am not sure about the best
way to design/implement User services (GUI) layer.  If I were to develop
one version of UI for Web clients and another version of UI for desktop
clients, the UI will more likely be inconsistent.  Any changes to UI in
future, will have to be done to both versions of UI.  Maintaining 2
versions of UI, is not the best.

   My questions:

   Is there a way to have one consistent UI, that would cater to both
desktop and Web clients ?.   As much as possible, I would like to stick
with HTML that is supported by both Netscape & IE browsers and ASP for
dynamic scripting, so the users are not forced to use a particular
browser.  Or, are there any plug-ins that would help me use DHTML
features, Active-X controls with Netscape browsers, so I do not have to
sacrifice the new technologies for compatibility.

   Your comments/suggestions will be very much appreciated.  I am sure
there are many applications similar to this, out there.  I hope some of
you will shed some light on this subject.  Also, if you can suggest some
references to articles/books or other documentation on this subject, I
will appreciate it.  Please let me know, if you need further
clarification.

   Thanks in advance, for your help.

Sincerely,
Prasad.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 UI question... request suggestions/comments
Develop you app in VB. Encapsulate your Database calls in a ActiveX DLL and
use DCom with HTTP: tunneling to when you are remote, switch to a local copy
when you are local.

It works.

Quote:
> Hi Folks,

>     I posted this request, yesterday and a few of you e-mailed me asking
> me to further elaborate what I am trying to accomplish.

>     I need to develop a VB6 Database application, so that the users can
> access the information in the database from anywhere (the desktops in
> their office or over the internet).  Typically, our users would access
> the information from their desktops when
> in Office.  But when they travel, they periodically would like to check
> the information via Internet.  I am trying to have a consistent UI, no
> matter, how they access the information (via Internet or via their
> desktop).

>     The tools I have at hand, to develop this application are Visual
> Studio 6.0 (I intend to use VB6 & Visual Interdev).  I will be using SQL
> server 7.0 DB.  The desktop clients are Win 95, 98 and NT.  The internet
> clients will be using standard browsers... IE & Netscape.

>     This will be a 3-tier application.  I have a pretty good idea of the
> Business services and the data services.  I am not sure about the best
> way to design/implement User services (GUI) layer.  If I were to develop
> one version of UI for Web clients and another version of UI for desktop
> clients, the UI will more likely be inconsistent.  Any changes to UI in
> future, will have to be done to both versions of UI.  Maintaining 2
> versions of UI, is not the best.

>    My questions:

>    Is there a way to have one consistent UI, that would cater to both
> desktop and Web clients ?.   As much as possible, I would like to stick
> with HTML that is supported by both Netscape & IE browsers and ASP for
> dynamic scripting, so the users are not forced to use a particular
> browser.  Or, are there any plug-ins that would help me use DHTML
> features, Active-X controls with Netscape browsers, so I do not have to
> sacrifice the new technologies for compatibility.

>    Your comments/suggestions will be very much appreciated.  I am sure
> there are many applications similar to this, out there.  I hope some of
> you will shed some light on this subject.  Also, if you can suggest some
> references to articles/books or other documentation on this subject, I
> will appreciate it.  Please let me know, if you need further
> clarification.

>    Thanks in advance, for your help.

> Sincerely,
> Prasad.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 UI question... request suggestions/comments
You answered your own question and didn't realize it.  Don't create 2
separate apps, one for the desktop and one for the web.  Let you desktop
users access the info on your web server via their browser, just like the
web clients.
- Bob Consorti

Quote:
> Hi Folks,
> If I were to develop
> one version of UI for Web clients and another version of UI for desktop
> clients, the UI will more likely be inconsistent.  Any changes to UI in
> future, will have to be done to both versions of UI.  Maintaining 2
> versions of UI, is not the best.

>    My questions:

>    Is there a way to have one consistent UI, that would cater to both
> desktop and Web clients ?.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 UI question... request suggestions/comments
Don't write 2 front-ends; only 1

They can use the browser from either the Intranet or Internet.

Use javascript exclusively on the client, and switch between  using IE &
Netscape daily
Use VB Webclasses instead of ASP - it is a lot easier to debug.
Use ActiveX dlls for your business logic.

One other tip: encapsulate the data access into a single class.
Thay way you can tweak your ADO code or switch drivers, OLEDB, or whatever,
without having to change ALL your objects.
Don't allow your webclasses to call your ADO wrapper class - they must use
the business object layer.

Quote:

>Hi Folks,

>    I posted this request, yesterday and a few of you e-mailed me asking
>me to further elaborate what I am trying to accomplish.

>    I need to develop a VB6 Database application, so that the users can
>access the information in the database from anywhere (the desktops in
>their office or over the internet).  Typically, our users would access
>the information from their desktops when
>in Office.  But when they travel, they periodically would like to check
>the information via Internet.  I am trying to have a consistent UI, no
>matter, how they access the information (via Internet or via their
>desktop).

>    The tools I have at hand, to develop this application are Visual
>Studio 6.0 (I intend to use VB6 & Visual Interdev).  I will be using SQL
>server 7.0 DB.  The desktop clients are Win 95, 98 and NT.  The internet
>clients will be using standard browsers... IE & Netscape.

>    This will be a 3-tier application.  I have a pretty good idea of the
>Business services and the data services.  I am not sure about the best
>way to design/implement User services (GUI) layer.  If I were to develop
>one version of UI for Web clients and another version of UI for desktop
>clients, the UI will more likely be inconsistent.  Any changes to UI in
>future, will have to be done to both versions of UI.  Maintaining 2
>versions of UI, is not the best.

>   My questions:

>   Is there a way to have one consistent UI, that would cater to both
>desktop and Web clients ?.   As much as possible, I would like to stick
>with HTML that is supported by both Netscape & IE browsers and ASP for
>dynamic scripting, so the users are not forced to use a particular
>browser.  Or, are there any plug-ins that would help me use DHTML
>features, Active-X controls with Netscape browsers, so I do not have to
>sacrifice the new technologies for compatibility.

>   Your comments/suggestions will be very much appreciated.  I am sure
>there are many applications similar to this, out there.  I hope some of
>you will shed some light on this subject.  Also, if you can suggest some
>references to articles/books or other documentation on this subject, I
>will appreciate it.  Please let me know, if you need further
>clarification.

>   Thanks in advance, for your help.

>Sincerely,
>Prasad.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. UI question... request suggestions/comments

2. Ideas?Comments?Suggestions?

3. Suggestions on adding a comment to a JPEG?

4. Want comments or suggestions on my code (long)

5. Comments/Suggestions: Sharing data between apps

6. Request for comment; Re: Coding style

7. ASP: Request for Comment: Image retrieval database

8. Comments requested on VB4 OLE2 client/server architecture with multiple RDBMS

9. Request for Comment

10. ASP: Request for Comment: Image retrieval database

11. SUGGESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS