VB3 to VB5 Vs. VB3 to VB4?
Author Message
 VB3 to VB5 Vs. VB3 to VB4?

Could someone cite some advantages of going VB3 to VB5 versus VB3 to VB4?
I've thought of a few such as true compilation in VB5... how abort porting
and IDE issues? Thanks for any feedback. -Manny

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3 to VB5 Vs. VB3 to VB4?

Quote:

>Could someone cite some advantages of going VB3 to VB5 versus VB3 to VB4?
>I've thought of a few such as true compilation in VB5... how abort porting
>and IDE issues? Thanks for any feedback. -Manny

It depends of what You are doing in your app, and mostly if
You plan to run on 16bit os  also. (msdos/win3.x)
VB4 can make both 16 and 32 bits code.
16 bits code mostly run ok under Win95 and NT,
32bits code runs ONLY on 95/NT.

But: Before You trying to go upwards:
1. Many 16bit VBX'es and dll's will not work in 32bit VB,
2. Some controls (as grid etc) will need OCX instead,
3. save all code to text before try loading in VB4 / 5 ( and take a backup
first)
4. Some things need to be rewritten totally,

IDE: Will mostly be ok, but depends somewhat on controls, (1.)

Both VB4 and VB5 have a few new items that will be put into the code,
and code will of these reason not be loadable in vb3 afterwards, without
removing/changing the code.
From VB3 to VB4/5 -> smootly in most cases,
From VB5 /VB4 to VB3 -> much work.

Also; Check out wich new things wich is implemented in VB4 and VB5 before
decide.
(I guess VB4 will only for a short time be on marked. VBDOS and VB3 are
rarely to find now.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Asbjoern Aamot  [MVP-VB]
P.b. 562 ,N-6901 Floroe,Norway.
http://www.vestdata.no/~asea/asbj.htm

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB3 to VB4 vs. VB3 to VB5

2. VB3 to VB4 vs VB3 to VB5

3. VB3 Pro VS. VB4 por under win 3.1

4. vb5 grid control Vs. the old vb3 one

5. vb4 Pro 16bit vs. vb3 Pro <- speed

6. VB3 vs VB4 What's The Tradeoff?

7. VB3(DAO) vs. VB4(RDO)

8. Quotes in SQL: VB3 vs. VB4

9. VB3 vs. VB4 - Dynaset / Recordset methods

10. VB3 vs VB4

11. VB3 vs VB4

12. VB3 vs VB4 commands?