directx with vb.net
Author Message
 directx with vb.net

I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net, does anybody
know of one?

Sun, 23 May 2004 23:12:15 GMT
 directx with vb.net
While you can program DX8 with VB.NET by using COM Interop, there
are a lot of issues you'll need to deal with. You'd be better off
waiting for DirectX 9 or switch to using VB6 with DirectX 8.

     ..........Wayne

--

Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,

Quote:
> I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net,
does anybody
> know of one?

Sun, 23 May 2004 23:37:27 GMT
 directx with vb.net

Theres a book coming out on the 15th December, that deals with DX8 and
VB.NET

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672322250/anasazibooks

for details

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:12:15 +0100, "Jose San Miguel"

Quote:

>I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net, does anybody
>know of one?

Tue, 25 May 2004 05:10:40 GMT
 directx with vb.net
I'm currently making a game for a class in school using VB.NET and DirectX
8.1. The only problem I have come across is that some DirectX function
parameters have been changed to take IntPtr types instead of types labeled
(Any). This is a big problem if you want to use the functions because as far
as I know there is no way to convert objects or struct value types to IntPtr
types.

An example of what I'm referring too is when using the function
DrawPrimitiveUp of a d3ddevice object.

object.DrawPrimitiveUP( _

PrimitiveType As CONST_D3DPRIMITIVETYPE, _

PrimitiveCount As Long, _

VertexStreamZeroDataArray As Any, _

VertexStreamZeroStride As Long)

The third parameter gets reassigned the type IntPtr in VB.NET and that's
where the problems start. What needs to fit here is the first vertex of an
array of vertices for a primitive that you want to draw, and a vertex type
has now way of being converted to an IntPtr. Hope this gives you a good Idea
of the problems that are faced when trying to use VB.NET and DirectX
together. If anybody has a solution as I'm sure there is one somewhere
please enlighten me.

Quote:
> I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net, does anybody
> know of one?

Fri, 28 May 2004 09:23:01 GMT
 directx with vb.net
I spent a lot of time working with VB.NET and DirectX a few months
ago and I kept running into problem after problem. Nothing major,
but each time I ran into a problem, I had to find a workaround to
make it work. I was spending more time working around problems
than developing an application. Finally, I took Phil Taylor's
recommendation to wait for DirectX 9. I don't know if they are
still accepting applications for the beta program, but you might
try visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx to find out and
apply.

      ..........Wayne

Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
including
my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

Quote:
> I'm currently making a game for a class in school using VB.NET
and DirectX
> 8.1. The only problem I have come across is that some DirectX
function
> parameters have been changed to take IntPtr types instead of
types labeled
> (Any). This is a big problem if you want to use the functions
because as far
> as I know there is no way to convert objects or struct value
types to IntPtr
> types.

> An example of what I'm referring too is when using the function
> DrawPrimitiveUp of a d3ddevice object.

> object.DrawPrimitiveUP( _

> PrimitiveType As CONST_D3DPRIMITIVETYPE, _

> PrimitiveCount As Long, _

> VertexStreamZeroDataArray As Any, _

> VertexStreamZeroStride As Long)

> The third parameter gets reassigned the type IntPtr in VB.NET
and that's
> where the problems start. What needs to fit here is the first
vertex of an
> array of vertices for a primitive that you want to draw, and a
vertex type
> has now way of being converted to an IntPtr. Hope this gives you
a good Idea
> of the problems that are faced when trying to use VB.NET and
DirectX
> together. If anybody has a solution as I'm sure there is one
somewhere
> please enlighten me.

> > I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net,
does anybody
> > know of one?

Fri, 28 May 2004 11:19:54 GMT
 directx with vb.net
Do you know when will directx 9 be released?

Fri, 28 May 2004 17:43:22 GMT
 directx with vb.net
Historically Microsoft releases a new version of DirectX during
the 3rd or 3th quarter each year.

         ......Wayne

Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
including
my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

Quote:
> Do you know when will directx 9 be released?

Fri, 28 May 2004 21:23:41 GMT
 directx with vb.net
Thank you very much

Quote:
> Historically Microsoft releases a new version of DirectX during
> the 3rd or 3th quarter each year.

>          ......Wayne

> Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> including
> my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

> > Do you know when will directx 9 be released?

Fri, 28 May 2004 23:12:10 GMT
 directx with vb.net
Well, my problem is that I've already built most of my game in C# which is
working great but all of my DirectX stuff I'm keeping in a class library
built in VB.NET. So I need to find a solution to my problems with DirectX
8.1 and VB.NET or I will have to switch to a VB6 and then rewrite all my
code that is in C# to VB6 code. I heard that this problem I'm having in
particular is covered in the release candidate but I doubt I can get my
hands on it soon enough. If I could get a beta of DirectX 9 (I have signed
up to be a beta tester) that would be good too. I was thinking of even
possibly rewritting everything in Java since they have an exclusive mode and
VRAM access built in now but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it all
working in time. Mainly I need to use alpha blending, image blitting, and
spotlight lighting effects in a flat 2D game and I'm really not sure what
I'm going to do it but I guess this is what it's like to be a student.

Quote:
> I spent a lot of time working with VB.NET and DirectX a few months
> ago and I kept running into problem after problem. Nothing major,
> but each time I ran into a problem, I had to find a workaround to
> make it work. I was spending more time working around problems
> than developing an application. Finally, I took Phil Taylor's
> recommendation to wait for DirectX 9. I don't know if they are
> still accepting applications for the beta program, but you might
> try visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx to find out and
> apply.

>       ..........Wayne

> Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> including
> my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

> > I'm currently making a game for a class in school using VB.NET
> and DirectX
> > 8.1. The only problem I have come across is that some DirectX
> function
> > parameters have been changed to take IntPtr types instead of
> types labeled
> > (Any). This is a big problem if you want to use the functions
> because as far
> > as I know there is no way to convert objects or struct value
> types to IntPtr
> > types.

> > An example of what I'm referring too is when using the function
> > DrawPrimitiveUp of a d3ddevice object.

> > object.DrawPrimitiveUP( _

> > PrimitiveType As CONST_D3DPRIMITIVETYPE, _

> > PrimitiveCount As Long, _

> > VertexStreamZeroDataArray As Any, _

> > VertexStreamZeroStride As Long)

> > The third parameter gets reassigned the type IntPtr in VB.NET
> and that's
> > where the problems start. What needs to fit here is the first
> vertex of an
> > array of vertices for a primitive that you want to draw, and a
> vertex type
> > has now way of being converted to an IntPtr. Hope this gives you
> a good Idea
> > of the problems that are faced when trying to use VB.NET and
> DirectX
> > together. If anybody has a solution as I'm sure there is one
> somewhere
> > please enlighten me.

> > > I need a reference handbook to program directx8 with vb.net,
> does anybody
> > > know of one?

Sat, 29 May 2004 04:36:35 GMT
 directx with vb.net
You could try building a VB6 class that manages the DirectX stuff
and get rid of your VB.NET class and is accessed by your C# code
through COM Interop. Or you could build a VB6/DX driver program
that calls your C# code to handle the processing for your game.

Also, I wouldn't want to base my grade on a beta version of
DirectX. I don't know when the first beta of DX 9 would ship, but
I would expect to run into some issues that may take a while to
resolve.

I'd also avoid Java unless you want to use OpenGL. I would doubt
that Java supports DirectX directly and even if it did, I would
expect a bunch of problems similar to the ones you are running
into now.

       .........Wayne

--

> [...]

> > > DrawPrimitiveUp of a d3ddevice object.

> > > object.DrawPrimitiveUP( _

> > > PrimitiveType As CONST_D3DPRIMITIVETYPE, _

> > > PrimitiveCount As Long, _

> > > VertexStreamZeroDataArray As Any, _

> > > VertexStreamZeroStride As Long)

> > > The third parameter gets reassigned the type IntPtr in
VB.NET
> > and that's
> > > where the problems start. What needs to fit here is the
first
> > vertex of an
> > > array of vertices for a primitive that you want to draw, and
> > vertex type
> > > has now way of being converted to an IntPtr. Hope this gives
you
> > a good Idea
> > > of the problems that are faced when trying to use VB.NET and
> > DirectX
> > > together. If anybody has a solution as I'm sure there is one

Sat, 29 May 2004 09:51:56 GMT
 directx with vb.net
This may not be your problem, but after your variable,
try putting a "." and then use the toIntPtr I think it
is.  I havn't used it in awhile, but hopefully that will
solve your problem.

Quote:

Sat, 29 May 2004 11:18:17 GMT
 directx with vb.net
Hey thanks for the idea it I think the Idea of using VB6 to write the
directX management stuff and then access it in C#. I just have to make sure
I don't make any "Any" parameters in the functions. Do you know if it can
install and use Visual Studio 6 in Windows XP while I have VS.NET installed
already?

Quote:
> [...]

> > > ago and I kept running into problem after problem. Nothing
> major,
> > > but each time I ran into a problem, I had to find a workaround
> > > make it work. I was spending more time working around problems
> > > than developing an application. Finally, I took Phil Taylor's
> > > recommendation to wait for DirectX 9. I don't know if they are
> > > still accepting applications for the beta program, but you
> might
> > > try visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx to find out and
> > > apply.

> > >       ..........Wayne

> > > Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> > > Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> > > including
> > > my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and
> DirectX,
> > > and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

Sun, 30 May 2004 05:22:40 GMT
 directx with vb.net
I haven't run into any problems using XP with VB6, VB.NET and the
DirectX 8.1 SDK. In fact I have a ton of other stuff installed
also and everything runs fine.

> [...]

can
> > get my
> > > hands on it soon enough. If I could get a beta of DirectX 9
(I
> > have signed
> > > up to be a beta tester) that would be good too. I was
thinking
> > of even
> > > possibly rewritting everything in Java since they have an
> > exclusive mode and
> > > VRAM access built in now but I'm not sure if I'll be able to
get
> > it all
> > > working in time. Mainly I need to use alpha blending, image
> > blitting, and
> > > spotlight lighting effects in a flat 2D game and I'm really
not
> > sure what
> > > I'm going to do it but I guess this is what it's like to be

Sun, 30 May 2004 05:45:00 GMT

1. DirectX and VB.net problem, help!

2. DirectX and VB.Net

3. DirectX in VB.NET

4. DirectX with VB.NET

5. DirectX and VB.Net ?

6. directx and vb.net

7. directx in vb.net

8. DirectX and VB.NET?

9. DirectX 8 - VB .Net (CaptureAudio)

10. DirectX in VB.NET

11. DirectX and VB.net

12. Directx and VB.net - where's D3DX gone ?