can't init device
Author Message
 can't init device

When i run sample bargraph application i have these
problems :

first : "no hardaware support . switching to reference
rasterizer"

second : " No suitable device was found to initialize D3D -
 application will now exit "

but i tested it to make appli to deployed
on a computer without directX sdk
(i have included dx8vb.dll just this and directx 8 on it)

I can't find anything about this ?

i am sorry but dont speak good english
and i will try to anderstand

thank's

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:58:42 GMT
 can't init device
do the DXDiag display tests run?

--

Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a

> When i run sample bargraph application i have these
> problems :

> first : "no hardaware support . switching to reference
> rasterizer"

> second : " No suitable device was found to initialize D3D -
>  application will now exit "

> but i tested it to make appli to deployed
> on a computer without directX sdk
> (i have included dx8vb.dll just this and directx 8 on it)

> I can't find anything about this ?

> i am sorry but dont speak good english
> and i will try to anderstand

> thank's

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:16 GMT
 can't init device
Hi,

I got exactly the same problem with two PCs equipped with ATI chipsets.

The DXDiags are working perfectly in 3D mode (DirectX7 and DirectX8) but
there is no possiblity to get the device initialized. By looking at the code
of the Dolphin sample (shipped with the DirectX 8.1 SDK for VB), it seems
that the call of the DIRECT3D8.CREATEDEVICE (in the InitWindowed from the
D3D_INIT module) is returning an error (the code being the same value as the
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL constant).

I would be happy if someone can help.

Regards,
Thierry

Quote:
> do the DXDiag display tests run?

> --

> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
rights.

> > When i run sample bargraph application i have these
> > problems :

> > first : "no hardaware support . switching to reference
> > rasterizer"

> > second : " No suitable device was found to initialize D3D -
> >  application will now exit "

> > but i tested it to make appli to deployed
> > on a computer without directX sdk
> > (i have included dx8vb.dll just this and directx 8 on it)

> > I can't find anything about this ?

> > i am sorry but dont speak good english
> > and i will try to anderstand

> > thank's

Mon, 03 Jan 2005 04:50:33 GMT
 can't init device
if you create device for the REF, does it succeed?

--

Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
few more bits and bobs.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

> Hi,

> I got exactly the same problem with two PCs equipped with ATI chipsets.

> The DXDiags are working perfectly in 3D mode (DirectX7 and DirectX8) but
> there is no possiblity to get the device initialized. By looking at the
code
> of the Dolphin sample (shipped with the DirectX 8.1 SDK for VB), it seems
> that the call of the DIRECT3D8.CREATEDEVICE (in the InitWindowed from the
> D3D_INIT module) is returning an error (the code being the same value as
the
> D3DERR_INVALIDCALL constant).

> I would be happy if someone can help.

> Regards,
> Thierry

> > do the DXDiag display tests run?

> > --

> > Phil Taylor
> > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and
> > few more bits and bobs.
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> rights.

> > > When i run sample bargraph application i have these
> > > problems :

> > > first : "no hardaware support . switching to reference
> > > rasterizer"

> > > second : " No suitable device was found to initialize D3D -
> > >  application will now exit "

> > > but i tested it to make appli to deployed
> > > on a computer without directX sdk
> > > (i have included dx8vb.dll just this and directx 8 on it)

> > > I can't find anything about this ?

> > > i am sorry but dont speak good english
> > > and i will try to anderstand

> > > thank's

Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:01:20 GMT
 can't init device
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately NOT. For both HAL and REF, the CREATEDEVICE function fails
(this is why I got the two messages highlighted by Josiane in the initial
message).
I got these two "failure" messages in both development mode (VB6 SP5) but
also when I am trying to run the complied VB_Dolphin.exe (which is shipped
compiled with the SDK).

Thanks,
Thierry.

Quote:
> if you create device for the REF, does it succeed?

> --

> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
rights.

> > Hi,

> > I got exactly the same problem with two PCs equipped with ATI chipsets.

> > The DXDiags are working perfectly in 3D mode (DirectX7 and DirectX8) but
> > there is no possiblity to get the device initialized. By looking at the
> code
> > of the Dolphin sample (shipped with the DirectX 8.1 SDK for VB), it
seems
> > that the call of the DIRECT3D8.CREATEDEVICE (in the InitWindowed from
the
> > D3D_INIT module) is returning an error (the code being the same value as
> the
> > D3DERR_INVALIDCALL constant).

> > I would be happy if someone can help.

> > Regards,
> > Thierry

> > > do the DXDiag display tests run?

> > > --

> > > Phil Taylor
> > > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers,
and
> > > few more bits and bobs.
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> > rights.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:16:21 GMT
 can't init device
The REF device is only available when installing the SDK (and is a developer
tool, not something suitable for end users).

For the HAL device, it would be interesting to see what error code is
reported. For now you have two options :
- you don't have a suitable hardware (or a pre-DX6 driver)
- if this is in windowed mode, hardware acceleration is not supported for
the current display bit depth (try 16 or 32 BPP)

The strange thing is that D3DERR_INVALIDCALL is usually an improper API
usage (i.e. it will fail everywhere and under all circumstances).

Patrice

Quote:
> Hi Phil,

> Unfortunately NOT. For both HAL and REF, the CREATEDEVICE function fails
> (this is why I got the two messages highlighted by Josiane in the initial
> message).
> I got these two "failure" messages in both development mode (VB6 SP5) but
> also when I am trying to run the complied VB_Dolphin.exe (which is shipped
> compiled with the SDK).

> Thanks,
> Thierry.

> > if you create device for the REF, does it succeed?

> > --

> > Phil Taylor
> > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and
> > few more bits and bobs.
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> rights.

> > > Hi,

> > > I got exactly the same problem with two PCs equipped with ATI
chipsets.

> > > The DXDiags are working perfectly in 3D mode (DirectX7 and DirectX8)
but
> > > there is no possiblity to get the device initialized. By looking at
the
> > code
> > > of the Dolphin sample (shipped with the DirectX 8.1 SDK for VB), it
> seems
> > > that the call of the DIRECT3D8.CREATEDEVICE (in the InitWindowed from
> the
> > > D3D_INIT module) is returning an error (the code being the same value
as
> > the
> > > D3DERR_INVALIDCALL constant).

> > > I would be happy if someone can help.

> > > Regards,
> > > Thierry

> and
> > > rights.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:49:53 GMT
 can't init device
Thanks Patrice,

Your proposal fixed the problem. By switching from 24 bits to 16 bits or 32
bits in the number of color defintion (control panel / display /
configuration), the examples of the DirectX SDK are running without any
problem (no error message about suitable device...).

Tanks again & best regards,

Thierry

Quote:
> The REF device is only available when installing the SDK (and is a
developer
> tool, not something suitable for end users).

> For the HAL device, it would be interesting to see what error code is
> reported. For now you have two options :
> - you don't have a suitable hardware (or a pre-DX6 driver)
> - if this is in windowed mode, hardware acceleration is not supported for
> the current display bit depth (try 16 or 32 BPP)

> The strange thing is that D3DERR_INVALIDCALL is usually an improper API
> usage (i.e. it will fail everywhere and under all circumstances).

> Patrice

> > Hi Phil,

> > Unfortunately NOT. For both HAL and REF, the CREATEDEVICE function fails
> > (this is why I got the two messages highlighted by Josiane in the
initial
> > message).
> > I got these two "failure" messages in both development mode (VB6 SP5)
but
> > also when I am trying to run the complied VB_Dolphin.exe (which is
shipped
> > compiled with the SDK).

> > Thanks,
> > Thierry.

> > > if you create device for the REF, does it succeed?

> > > --

> > > Phil Taylor
> > > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers,
and
> > > few more bits and bobs.
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> > rights.

message

> chipsets.

> but
> the
> > > code
> > seems
> > the
> as
> > > the

le

> > and

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:33:35 GMT

1. 'Canned' data in VB program

2. Opening a DBF file in the Form's Init method

3. Init'ing a DBCombo control

4. can't init radio button.value=true in control array

5. How do I create a canned form?

6. Canned AcctReceivable Module needed!

7. Canned pages....

8. Device: or Device

10. Crystal Reports Canned Code

11. Canned objects and/or images

12. MsComm control won't listen to device but QBasic does