newbie question: programming two monitors
Author Message
 newbie question: programming two monitors

I have a GeForce2 MX card and a ATI Radeon 7500 on the
same computer. I need to set up a two monitor display
where the first monitor shows the normal desktop while the
second monitor shows some animations that may depend on
the content of the desktop on the first monitor. I don't
know the basics of programming such a setup. Are the two
monitors treated as a continuous desktop, or they are two
separate properties? DX doc does not seem to address this
issue. Can anyone direct me to some webpages, tutorials or
samples for programming dual-monitor?
Thanks in advance,
Lei Liu

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 04:08:29 GMT
 newbie question: programming two monitors
Hi,

That is embedded in the Device creation. Generally, the code in the samples use the "default
adapter"

Private mDX As DirectX8             '   Top object
Private mD3D As Direct3D8           '   Top of Direct 3D
Private mDevice As Direct3DDevice8  '   Object owning the rendering

        Set mDevice =  mD3D.CreateDevice( Adapter:=D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,  ...

I assume someone can create TWO Devices, one for each adapter. You can then use each Device,
independently, or with some dependency you would take care to implement in the rendering (of each
device).

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

Quote:
> I have a GeForce2 MX card and a ATI Radeon 7500 on the
> same computer. I need to set up a two monitor display
> where the first monitor shows the normal desktop while the
> second monitor shows some animations that may depend on
> the content of the desktop on the first monitor. I don't
> know the basics of programming such a setup. Are the two
> monitors treated as a continuous desktop, or they are two
> separate properties? DX doc does not seem to address this
> issue. Can anyone direct me to some webpages, tutorials or
> samples for programming dual-monitor?
> Thanks in advance,
> Lei Liu

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:41:53 GMT
 newbie question: programming two monitors

Quote:
> I have a GeForce2 MX card and a ATI Radeon 7500 on the
> same computer. I need to set up a two monitor display
> where the first monitor shows the normal desktop while the
> second monitor shows some animations that may depend on
> the content of the desktop on the first monitor. I don't
> know the basics of programming such a setup. Are the two
> monitors treated as a continuous desktop, or they are two
> separate properties? DX doc does not seem to address this
> issue. Can anyone direct me to some webpages, tutorials or
> samples for programming dual-monitor?

I've never done any work with DirectX and multi-monitors, but if you want
the standard multi-monitor API functionality then this may be of some use to
you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdi/monitor_53sj.asp
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:50:59 GMT
 newbie question: programming two monitors

Quote:

I find the msdn webpage very helpful. Thanks!
Lei

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:13:08 GMT

1. Newbie - Program to Monitor File Size

2. GUI programmed on 14inch monitor is different on 19inch Monitor

3. Two newbie questions - please help

4. Newbie : Two database questions

5. Newbie Question - Two forms

6. Two questions from a semi-newbie ...?

7. two newbie questions

8. Two questions from a newbie to VB5...

9. Two More Newbie Questions

10. Newbie Question- switching back and forth between two forms

11. Two newbie scripts questions

12. Two newbie questions, please help