problems with 3ds mesh exported/converted to .x
Author Message
 problems with 3ds mesh exported/converted to .x

hi all,
ok i have installed 3d studio max 4.2, created a simple
box, not textured, really simple.
i have exported it to a .3ds mesh file.
i then ran it through conv3ds to convert it to a .x file
i have used several options. verbose mode yields no errors
when i load it into my vb directx app, there is no mesh.
i used one of max's sample models, angus.3ds. converted
it to .x and scaled it to 100 in case the models were
really tiny. had some strange graphical things happen. am
i using the conv3ds switches improperly? the date on
conv3ds is may, 96. is there a more recent version?
thanks for any help/advice!

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:54:52 GMT
 problems with 3ds mesh exported/converted to .x
Hello,

If you are using max 4.2, you should be using the XSkinExp.dle plugin
provided in the extras download of the SDK.  This avoids the .3ds format all
together and goes right to .x files.

So how about some links:

My download page has a GUI for the DOS conversion programs, this may help
you with the command line switches.  But i'm doubting Conv3ds will ever be
updated again, so if you find problems; that's just what they might be --
problems.

http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/downloads/

Also, I have a tutorial on using the xskin exporter with max:

http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/tutorials/exportx/index.html

And finally, docs describing how to fix bugs you may or may not run into:

http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/tutorials/compilex/index.html

hth

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

Quote:
> hi all,
> ok i have installed 3d studio max 4.2, created a simple
> box, not textured, really simple.
> i have exported it to a .3ds mesh file.
> i then ran it through conv3ds to convert it to a .x file
> i have used several options. verbose mode yields no errors
> when i load it into my vb directx app, there is no mesh.
> i used one of max's sample models, angus.3ds. converted
> it to .x and scaled it to 100 in case the models were
> really tiny. had some strange graphical things happen. am
> i using the conv3ds switches improperly? the date on
> conv3ds is may, 96. is there a more recent version?
> thanks for any help/advice!

Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:19:11 GMT
 problems with 3ds mesh exported/converted to .x
Dumb answer/question: you do have lighting, don't you?
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:54:52 -0700, "madmarcos"
Quote:

>hi all,
>ok i have installed 3d studio max 4.2, created a simple
>box, not textured, really simple.
>i have exported it to a .3ds mesh file.
>i then ran it through conv3ds to convert it to a .x file
>i have used several options. verbose mode yields no errors
>when i load it into my vb directx app, there is no mesh.
>i used one of max's sample models, angus.3ds. converted
>it to .x and scaled it to 100 in case the models were
>really tiny. had some strange graphical things happen. am
>i using the conv3ds switches improperly? the date on
>conv3ds is may, 96. is there a more recent version?
>thanks for any help/advice!

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:24:49 GMT

1. 3ds meshes as sprites??

2. 3ds mesh in Directx??

3. Mesh Names or Mesh Subset Names

4. Mesh Picking, Boned Animation, Faked Meshes

5. Progressive meshes / Simplifying meshes

6. 3ds -> .x problem

7. Skin mesh/renderskins problem, geforce?

8. help on 3ds in vb ?!?

9. .X plugins for 3DS

10. HOWTO: Loading 3DS files with D3D IM

11. 3DS Animation

12. 3ds loader/indexbuffers