Direct3DDevice8.Clear Question
Author Message
 Direct3DDevice8.Clear Question

When rendering an entire scene on every frame, is there
ever a time when the Direct3DDevice8.Clear procedure
doesn't need the D3DCLEAR_TARGET flag?  I mean besides
when only a small region of the window is changed. In
otherwords, I clear the z-buffer and the stencil buffer
but not the render target.  I have tried but I don't see
any problem yet I am told this isn't a good idea. Any
other opinions or explainations?

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 04:16:12 GMT
 Direct3DDevice8.Clear Question

Quote:
> When rendering an entire scene on every frame, is there
> ever a time when the Direct3DDevice8.Clear procedure
> doesn't need the D3DCLEAR_TARGET flag?

Clear only when you must.  If you render to the entire backbuffer, there is
no need to clear the viewport.  You should get quite a savings in fill rate.

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.blown.com/dx/

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:20:55 GMT

1. How can i clear the MSHFLEXGRID without CLEAR - Como limpar a GRID sem usar CLEAR

2. Lost Direct3DDevice8

3. Direct3DDevice8.Reset

4. Listview1.listitems.clear does not clear

5. how to clear pers hist lists like clear docs

6. How to clear a sprite without clearing all the sprites from a picturebox

7. how to clear pers hist lists like clear docs

8. Question about clearing a windows form.

9. Question : Clearing Data Control's Recordsource.

10. Newbie question: clipboard.clear

11. Newbie Question: Quickest Way to Clear Combobox?

12. old question :bound datacombo with cleared (empty) choice