Debug mode also on target system?
Author Message
 Debug mode also on target system?

There are rumors in some PC {*filter*} communities about poor game performance
depending on a 'default value on debug in the DirectX installation'.
According to the rumor one should download certain DirectX software from
where this default value for debugging could be changed 'back to off'.
Numerous downloads exists.

Am myself a newbie to the DirectX SDK, but I installed the 8.1 kit the other
day and one of the setup questions where about retail or debug mode. As it
happens the debug mode was default...
I am wondering if there is a missunderstanding in these rumors. Maybe
originating from this chose in the setup of the SDK package?
The local SDK installation is for the developer, right? When a setup kit is
made for a game by the developer, can this setting 'follow' and effect the
target system at the gamers end? Can it be so, or is it automaticly so?

Fri, 07 May 2004 22:11:25 GMT
 Debug mode also on target system?
Most users should install the normal DirectX runtime, which is
available as redistributable package for game developers to
include as part of their game. This package doesn't include the
debug runtime. The only way to get the debug vs. retail option is
to install the DirectX SDK. The SDK has the option to use a
debugging version of DirectX, which will do additional checking
for errors and provide some initialization that isn't done in the
retail libraries. The debugging tools help to identify errors in
the game, but at a serious hit in performance.

I hope this helps......Wayne

Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
including
my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

Quote:
> There are rumors in some PC {*filter*} communities about poor game
performance
> depending on a 'default value on debug in the DirectX
installation'.
> According to the rumor one should download certain DirectX
software from
> where this default value for debugging could be changed 'back to
off'.
> Numerous downloads exists.

> Am myself a newbie to the DirectX SDK, but I installed the 8.1
kit the other
> day and one of the setup questions where about retail or debug
mode. As it
> happens the debug mode was default...
> I am wondering if there is a missunderstanding in these rumors.
Maybe
> originating from this chose in the setup of the SDK package?
> The local SDK installation is for the developer, right? When a
setup kit is
> made for a game by the developer, can this setting 'follow' and
effect the
> target system at the gamers end? Can it be so, or is it
automaticly so?

Sat, 08 May 2004 01:40:27 GMT
 Debug mode also on target system?
Aha! Thanks.
Very interesting. I did have a vauge, but supicious, thought about it all.

Actually, the reason for me looking into this is that I suspect some of
these 'special' downloads being trojans. The downloads are heavily promoted
by certain people in the {*filter*} communities.

Quote:
> Most users should install the normal DirectX runtime, which is
> available as redistributable package for game developers to
> include as part of their game. This package doesn't include the
> debug runtime. The only way to get the debug vs. retail option is
> to install the DirectX SDK. The SDK has the option to use a
> debugging version of DirectX, which will do additional checking
> for errors and provide some initialization that isn't done in the
> retail libraries. The debugging tools help to identify errors in
> the game, but at a serious hit in performance.

> I hope this helps......Wayne

> Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> including
> my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

> > There are rumors in some PC {*filter*} communities about poor game
> performance
> > depending on a 'default value on debug in the DirectX
> installation'.
> > According to the rumor one should download certain DirectX
> software from
> > where this default value for debugging could be changed 'back to
> off'.
> > Numerous downloads exists.

> > Am myself a newbie to the DirectX SDK, but I installed the 8.1
> kit the other
> > day and one of the setup questions where about retail or debug
> mode. As it
> > happens the debug mode was default...
> > I am wondering if there is a missunderstanding in these rumors.
> Maybe
> > originating from this chose in the setup of the SDK package?
> > The local SDK installation is for the developer, right? When a
> setup kit is
> > made for a game by the developer, can this setting 'follow' and
> effect the
> > target system at the gamers end? Can it be so, or is it
> automaticly so?

Sun, 09 May 2004 06:35:31 GMT
 Debug mode also on target system?
hmm. The latest word in my discussion with certain people is that they say
'it is Microsoft' that has left 'the debug mode on in DirectX 8'. I guess
they now mean the pre-installed DirectX in Windows...Not the
re-distributable on the game cd. There are also some discussion if the
default value is different on different releases of DirectX...

I have searched on microsoft.com / technet, but failed to find any evidence
or easy-to-grasp explanation of proof.
I find this hard to believe myself, but the rumor seems pretty persistent.
Hopefully it is still just a missunderstanding.
Here is an actual example I found on the net:
""Microsoft left debug mode on in directx 8 and 8a for DirectSound. That is
eating up CPU cycles from hell having that on, not to mention the
software/hardware conflicts that it can create. Well, I hope this helps some
people. This will cure many ailments.
download:
* http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Any further comments/advise here would be apriciated.
As I dislike trojans very much I would like to help with haltering these
rumours as much as possible. More facts maybe helps.
Even if this specific example is not a trojan, I think the overall issue and
lack of facts support kids with dx-related trojans.

Quote:
> Aha! Thanks.
> Very interesting. I did have a vauge, but supicious, thought about it all.

> Actually, the reason for me looking into this is that I suspect some of
> these 'special' downloads being trojans. The downloads are heavily
promoted
> by certain people in the {*filter*} communities.

> > Most users should install the normal DirectX runtime, which is
> > available as redistributable package for game developers to
> > include as part of their game. This package doesn't include the
> > debug runtime. The only way to get the debug vs. retail option is
> > to install the DirectX SDK. The SDK has the option to use a
> > debugging version of DirectX, which will do additional checking
> > for errors and provide some initialization that isn't done in the
> > retail libraries. The debugging tools help to identify errors in
> > the game, but at a serious hit in performance.

> > I hope this helps......Wayne

> > Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> > Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> > including
> > my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> > and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

> > > There are rumors in some PC {*filter*} communities about poor game
> > performance
> > > depending on a 'default value on debug in the DirectX
> > installation'.
> > > According to the rumor one should download certain DirectX
> > software from
> > > where this default value for debugging could be changed 'back to
> > off'.
> > > Numerous downloads exists.

> > > Am myself a newbie to the DirectX SDK, but I installed the 8.1
> > kit the other
> > > day and one of the setup questions where about retail or debug
> > mode. As it
> > > happens the debug mode was default...
> > > I am wondering if there is a missunderstanding in these rumors.
> > Maybe
> > > originating from this chose in the setup of the SDK package?
> > > The local SDK installation is for the developer, right? When a
> > setup kit is
> > > made for a game by the developer, can this setting 'follow' and
> > effect the
> > > target system at the gamers end? Can it be so, or is it
> > automaticly so?

Sun, 09 May 2004 07:46:34 GMT
 Debug mode also on target system?
Try running dxdiag and look on the DirectX files tab. It should
tell which version of the files you have installed.

> [...]

the
> > > debug runtime. The only way to get the debug vs. retail
option is
> > > to install the DirectX SDK. The SDK has the option to use a
> > > debugging version of DirectX, which will do additional
checking
> > > for errors and provide some initialization that isn't done
in the
> > > retail libraries. The debugging tools help to identify
errors in
> > > the game, but at a serious hit in performance.

> > > I hope this helps......Wayne

> > > Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> > > Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic
books,
> > > including
> > > my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and
DirectX,
> > > and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

Sun, 09 May 2004 19:07:04 GMT
 Debug mode also on target system?
Are you thinking of  'final retail' in the attribute column?
I am sorry, I can't see the relevance of the version numbers.

Are you hinting at how to see if a download has somehow replaced  retail
files with debug files?  (replacing retail libraries with debug libraries)

Quote:
> Try running dxdiag and look on the DirectX files tab. It should
> tell which version of the files you have installed.

>         ........Wayne

> Recycling electrons into words since 1996.
> Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books,
> including
> my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible.

> > hmm. The latest word in my discussion with certain people is
> that they say
> > 'it is Microsoft' that has left 'the debug mode on in DirectX
> 8'. I guess
> > they now mean the pre-installed DirectX in Windows...Not the
> > re-distributable on the game cd. There are also some discussion
> if the
> > default value is different on different releases of DirectX...

> > I have searched on microsoft.com / technet, but failed to find
> any evidence
> > or easy-to-grasp explanation of proof.
> > I find this hard to believe myself, but the rumor seems pretty
> persistent.
> > Hopefully it is still just a missunderstanding.
> > Here is an actual example I found on the net:
> > ""Microsoft left debug mode on in directx 8 and 8a for
> DirectSound. That is
> > eating up CPU cycles from hell having that on, not to mention
> the
> > software/hardware conflicts that it can create. Well, I hope
> this helps some
> > people. This will cure many ailments.
> > download:
> > * http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

> > Any further comments/advise here would be apriciated.
> > As I dislike trojans very much I would like to help with
> haltering these
> > rumours as much as possible. More facts maybe helps.
> > Even if this specific example is not a trojan, I think the
> overall issue and
> > lack of facts support kids with dx-related trojans.

> > > Aha! Thanks.
> > > Very interesting. I did have a vauge, but supicious, thought
> about it all.

> > > Actually, the reason for me looking into this is that I
> suspect some of
> > > these 'special' downloads being trojans. The downloads are
> heavily
> > promoted
> > > by certain people in the {*filter*} communities.

> is
> the
> option is
> checking
> in the
> errors in

> books,
> DirectX,

> game
> 'back to

> 8.1
> debug
> rumors.
> package?
> When a
> 'follow' and

Sun, 09 May 2004 23:05:03 GMT

1. Debug mode vs. Run mode

2. Symbolic Debug Info causes the target to GPF

3. Requirement for debugging the application on the target device

4. Howto: Check if an assembly is available on the target system

5. Can't enter module code in debug mode

6. Calling Access from Access stops code in debug mode

7. Different behavior between normal and debug mode!

8. How to disable Error Handling to find an error in Debug Mode

9. debug mode

10. Step Into in Debug Mode

11. Debug Mode not providing field value

12. Debug Mode