Running an application without DX installed
Author Message
 Running an application without DX installed

Hello!  Is there a way to run an application with a
DirectX component without DirectX installed?  My problem
is that I have a 2D terrain modelling program that uses
the Windows API.  It works great!  I decided to add an
option on the menu to open a new window and view the
terrain in 3D using DirectX.  That works great!  I try to
run the program on a computer without DirectX installed.
That doesn't work so great.  Is there a way I can
distribute the program without maintaining two versions?
Not everyone who uses the program wants or needs DirectX.

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

PS - BTW, I found out how to detect if DirectX is
installed already and what version it is.  This seems to
only be useful if I provide an installation and setup
program which hasn't been needed until now.

Sun, 01 May 2005 00:19:53 GMT
 Running an application without DX installed
Sorry, already been asked.  By myself non-the-less.  Wow.  Am I in another
world or what?  Anyway, thanks to those who answered me before.

Matthew Hanna

Quote:
> Hello!  Is there a way to run an application with a
> DirectX component without DirectX installed?  My problem
> is that I have a 2D terrain modelling program that uses
> the Windows API.  It works great!  I decided to add an
> option on the menu to open a new window and view the
> terrain in 3D using DirectX.  That works great!  I try to
> run the program on a computer without DirectX installed.
> That doesn't work so great.  Is there a way I can
> distribute the program without maintaining two versions?
> Not everyone who uses the program wants or needs DirectX.

> Thanks!
> Matthew Hanna

> PS - BTW, I found out how to detect if DirectX is
> installed already and what version it is.  This seems to
> only be useful if I provide an installation and setup
> program which hasn't been needed until now.

Mon, 02 May 2005 23:21:42 GMT
 Running an application without DX installed
You need to have the version of DX installed because you need all of the 50
or so DirectX Subsystem DLLs that it includes

Quote:
> Hello!  Is there a way to run an application with a
> DirectX component without DirectX installed?  My problem
> is that I have a 2D terrain modelling program that uses
> the Windows API.  It works great!  I decided to add an
> option on the menu to open a new window and view the
> terrain in 3D using DirectX.  That works great!  I try to
> run the program on a computer without DirectX installed.
> That doesn't work so great.  Is there a way I can
> distribute the program without maintaining two versions?
> Not everyone who uses the program wants or needs DirectX.

> Thanks!
> Matthew Hanna

> PS - BTW, I found out how to detect if DirectX is
> installed already and what version it is.  This seems to
> only be useful if I provide an installation and setup
> program which hasn't been needed until now.

Mon, 02 May 2005 16:54:08 GMT

1. Run backround application without being listed among the applications of the windows task manger

2. Run backround application without being listed among the applications of the windows task manger

3. Using Word.Application without installing Word

4. Upgrading components without re-installing application that uses component

5. How do I run VB program without installing it

6. Running without installing VB prog

7. Running an executable from a CD without an install

8. Running App without setup install

9. VB4 16bit App runs from CD without installing components into windows\system

10. Running a VB4-32 Program without Installing

11. Running a VB program without installing it

12. How to run crystal report without printer installed