Problems exporting from 3dsMax 4.2 to X 
Author Message
 Problems exporting from 3dsMax 4.2 to X

Hi

I have some problems when exporting from 3D Studio Max 4.2 to a X file. Im
using the plugin provided with the DirectX 8.1 SDK, but when I open the
exported file with the Mesh viewer it appears inverted. I mean the faces up
came down, the left right and so on... but as in a mirror way (so its no
only a problem of the position of the camera).

Please, if anyone know have any idea on what can be the problem let me know
it.

Hugo Marquez



Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:16:39 GMT  
 Problems exporting from 3dsMax 4.2 to X
3ds uses a right handed coordinate system, the default for D3D is left
handed.

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.blown.com/dx/
Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.


Quote:
> Hi

> I have some problems when exporting from 3D Studio Max 4.2 to a X file. Im
> using the plugin provided with the DirectX 8.1 SDK, but when I open the
> exported file with the Mesh viewer it appears inverted. I mean the faces
up
> came down, the left right and so on... but as in a mirror way (so its no
> only a problem of the position of the camera).

> Please, if anyone know have any idea on what can be the problem let me
know
> it.

> Hugo Marquez



Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:28:27 GMT  
 Problems exporting from 3dsMax 4.2 to X
And which are the steps I have to do in VB6 to be able to work with exported
files by 3DS?

I'm using the RH functions (D3DXMatrixPerspectiveRH and D3DXMatrixLookAtRH)
but it seems that its not enought. According with the DX documentation I
have to "Flip the order of triangle vertices so that the system traverses
them clockwise from the front", but I don't know what it means and how to do
it.



Quote:
> 3ds uses a right handed coordinate system, the default for D3D is left
> handed.

> --
> Eric DeBrosse
> http://www.blown.com/dx/
> Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
program
> does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.



> > Hi

> > I have some problems when exporting from 3D Studio Max 4.2 to a X file.
Im
> > using the plugin provided with the DirectX 8.1 SDK, but when I open the
> > exported file with the Mesh viewer it appears inverted. I mean the faces
> up
> > came down, the left right and so on... but as in a mirror way (so its no
> > only a problem of the position of the camera).

> > Please, if anyone know have any idea on what can be the problem let me
> know
> > it.

> > Hugo Marquez



Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:06:39 GMT  
 Problems exporting from 3dsMax 4.2 to X
Change the 3D data as follows:

1) Make your triangles wrap clockwise when viewed from the front.  (i.e. If
you have vertices v0 v1 v2, pass them as v0 v2 v1)

2) Create view matrix that scales world by -1 in the z direction. (flip the
sign of the third row in the viewing matrix, i.e m31, m32, m33, m34)

Then your data can be used with LH coordinate systems.

Hope this helps

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.blown.com/dx/
Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.


Quote:
> And which are the steps I have to do in VB6 to be able to work with
exported
> files by 3DS?

> I'm using the RH functions (D3DXMatrixPerspectiveRH and
D3DXMatrixLookAtRH)
> but it seems that its not enought. According with the DX documentation I
> have to "Flip the order of triangle vertices so that the system traverses
> them clockwise from the front", but I don't know what it means and how to
do
> it.



> > 3ds uses a right handed coordinate system, the default for D3D is left
> > handed.

> > --
> > Eric DeBrosse
> > http://www.blown.com/dx/
> > Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> > The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> > do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
> program
> > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.



> > > Hi

> > > I have some problems when exporting from 3D Studio Max 4.2 to a X
file.
> Im
> > > using the plugin provided with the DirectX 8.1 SDK, but when I open
the
> > > exported file with the Mesh viewer it appears inverted. I mean the
faces
> > up
> > > came down, the left right and so on... but as in a mirror way (so its
no
> > > only a problem of the position of the camera).

> > > Please, if anyone know have any idea on what can be the problem let me
> > know
> > > it.

> > > Hugo Marquez



Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:07:53 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. X-files exported from max 4.2 no color

2. VB3 App and MS Office 4.2 problems

3. Problem with OCX written in MFC 4.2 and VB4 / VB5

4. Access 2.0 & SQL Srvr 4.2 User Problems

5. dx8.1 3dsmax xfile export utility question

6. Compatibility of VC++ 4.2 and Office 97 Access

7. here's a program to calculate pi, version 4.2

8. synchronize replicas using visual c++ 4.2

9. Value of SQL Server 4.2

10. SQL Server 4.2 to 6.5

11. RDO, Visual C++ 4.2 instead of VB40, MS SQL 6.5

12. FS: VB4 & VC++ 4.2 ENTERPRISE

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software