Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
Author Message
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace

Hi

I just downloaded & installed DirectX9 VB SDK. I found Microsoft.DirectX...is missing from GAC. I am unable add as reference from a project.

I tried installing the Developer Runtime, as it apeears to contain the DirectX NET framework DLL's, however I am unable to install it. After the "installing components" dialog box appears it immediately closes with no errors and no confirmation of succesful installation.

Have I installed in the wrong order or still missing something?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Harry

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:23:53 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace

installed .NET framework 1st?

do the SDK sample binaries run?

  Hi

  I just downloaded & installed DirectX9 VB SDK. I found Microsoft.DirectX...is missing from GAC. I am unable add as reference from a project.

  I tried installing the Developer Runtime, as it apeears to contain the DirectX NET framework DLL's, however I am unable to install it. After the "installing components" dialog box appears it immediately closes with no errors and no confirmation of succesful installation.

  Have I installed in the wrong order or still missing something?

  Any ideas?

  Thanks
  Harry

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:11:46 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace

Thanks

I did full clean OS install, then installed VB + Framework + SDK's and all fine now.

  installed .NET framework 1st?

  do the SDK sample binaries run?

    Hi

    I just downloaded & installed DirectX9 VB SDK. I found Microsoft.DirectX...is missing from GAC. I am unable add as reference from a project.

    I tried installing the Developer Runtime, as it apeears to contain the DirectX NET framework DLL's, however I am unable to install it. After the "installing components" dialog box appears it immediately closes with no errors and no confirmation of succesful installation.

    Have I installed in the wrong order or still missing something?

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Harry

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:14:12 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
I am having a similar problem.  It happened when I
installed DX9.0a.  Everything worked fine until I
installed that version a, and now the DX assemblies don't
show up in the "add reference" dialog and I can't use any
DirectX features.  All previous projects and samples
say "C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(11):
Namespace or type 'DirectX' for the
Imports 'Microsoft.DirectX' cannot be found.", but also
for Direct3D and any other DX Import.  Any ideas?

Quote:

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:50:01 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
Same here!  All was fine till I installed the DX9a update.  Now I
can't get a reference to Microsoft.DirectX, try as I might.  And my
project is due in 2 weeks!  I'm dead in the water!

Of course, you can't uninstall the 9a update.

Quote:

> I am having a similar problem.  It happened when I
> installed DX9.0a.  Everything worked fine until I
> installed that version a, and now the DX assemblies don't
> show up in the "add reference" dialog and I can't use any
> DirectX features.  All previous projects and samples
> say "C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(11):
> Namespace or type 'DirectX' for the
> Imports 'Microsoft.DirectX' cannot be found.", but also
> for Direct3D and any other DX Import.  Any ideas?

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:36:34 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace

Quote:

> Same here!  All was fine till I installed the DX9a update.  Now I
> can't get a reference to Microsoft.DirectX, try as I might.  And my
> project is due in 2 weeks!  I'm dead in the water!

Yes, the problem is that the DirectX 9.0A from windowsupdate.com is
the retail ("home user") version.  It overwrites the SDK version of
the libraries, and your 9.0 (not 9.0a) SDK installer will no longer do
anything because it sees that a newer version is already installed.

Since downgrading is not possible, the only solution (other than
reinstalling Windows) would be to install the DirectX 9.0a SDK.
Unfortunately, it seems that Microsoft has not released it yet!

Let's all take a moment of silence to appreciate the sheer mental
retardation behind this situation.

-Pete

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:40:33 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
I have found a workaround for this problem:

1. Go your SDK directory and open SDKDev\Retail\DirectX.cab
   (in Windows XP you can do this through Explorer)

2. Copy these files to a temporary directory:

  Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll
  Microsoft.DirectX.dll

3. Open your .NET solution and manually change each of the
  broken references to point to these files.

I was able to get the SDK examples to compile again using this
method, although it's a bit tedious.

-Pete

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:47:37 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
Thank windows XP for System Restore!

That uninstalled it for me. Works as it used to now.

Ben

Quote:
> Same here!  All was fine till I installed the DX9a update.  Now I
> can't get a reference to Microsoft.DirectX, try as I might.  And my
> project is due in 2 weeks!  I'm dead in the water!

> Of course, you can't uninstall the 9a update.

Quote:
> > I am having a similar problem.  It happened when I
> > installed DX9.0a.  Everything worked fine until I
> > installed that version a, and now the DX assemblies don't
> > show up in the "add reference" dialog and I can't use any
> > DirectX features.  All previous projects and samples
> > say "C:\DXSDK\Samples\VB.Net\Common\d3dutil.vb(11):
> > Namespace or type 'DirectX' for the
> > Imports 'Microsoft.DirectX' cannot be found.", but also
> > for Direct3D and any other DX Import.  Any ideas?

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:51:43 GMT
 Can't add reference to Microsoft.DirectX namespace
Same here, as well.

I went to the start menu and ran the install for the
debug runtime from there and they showed up in the GAC,
but I still cannot add them to my project.

By the way, the command to reinstall the runtime is:
C:\DX9SDK\SDKDev\Debug\dxdevrtm.exe /InstallManagedDX

After that, I went to DOS and xcopy'd the DLLS out of the
\WINDOWS\Assembly\GAC folder.

Each are in their own folder, which makes it slightly
harder...

Following that, I added each DLL manually from the new
location and my project is up and running again.

--Keith R

Quote:

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:56:14 GMT

1. Can't add certain namespaces...???

2. 'Canned' data in VB program

3. Microsoft Word Versions (Adding References)

4. Microsoft Word Versions (Adding References)

5. WTB: Microsoft Multimedia Programmer's Reference Book

6. WTB: Microsoft Multimedia Programmer's Reference/Workbook

7. I only downloaded th DirectX SDK which didn't contain documents on DirectX Media

8. Add another Bug to Microsoft's VB.Net List

9. Avoiding Microsoft.VisualBasic namespace

10. Microsoft.VisualBasic Namespace

11. Microsoft.Win32 Namespace problem

12. Can't add a reference to the specified file