Newbie in need of direction
Author Message
 Newbie in need of direction

Hi all,

Are there any good reference sites with sample code other than MSDN out
there/

Any advice is very welcome.

Dre

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 06:16:22 GMT
 Newbie in need of direction
hi,

   if u r looking for DirectX8 then its no problem..  u can scan the whole
site www.direct4vb.com for this topic..  u will get the best guidance and
sample codes on almost everything in DX8..     but if u r looking to start
in DirectX 9 then gettign good help could be difficult..  but u could still
try if u r a good learner..  u wil need to use the .net framework for DX9..
the mentioned site has information on DX9 also..  u can try that..     u can
try out the SDK samples also for learning..     whatever i mentioned is good
for VB..  other languages like C# and C++ also can be used..  there r many
sites which give u info on that...    hope this is heplfull..    have fun...

regards
Phalgun Babu

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Are there any good reference sites with sample code other than MSDN out
> there/

> Any advice is very welcome.

> Dre

Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:04:43 GMT
 Newbie in need of direction
ooops..
  thanks for correcting my spelling mistake in the website address
Mr.Finch...     and the other sites he mentioned are also good..  but next
only to Jack Hoxley's www.directx4vb.com (foof.. got it correct this
time..)..     but i was wondering Alfie, if u know soem good site for
DirectX 9..  which can give me info about the soo many new functionality
they have added compared to DX8..   i have tried but efforts were in vain..
    any info wuld be of great help..    thanks..

regards
Phalgun Babu

Quote:
> Some time on Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:34:43 +0530, "Phalgun Babu"

> >hi,

> >   if u r looking for DirectX8 then its no problem..  u can scan the
whole
> >site www.direct4vb.com for this topic..  u will get the best guidance and
> >sample codes on almost everything in DX8..     but if u r looking to
start
> >in DirectX 9 then gettign good help could be difficult..  but u could
still
> >try if u r a good learner..  u wil need to use the .net framework for
DX9..
> >the mentioned site has information on DX9 also..  u can try that..     u
can
> >try out the SDK samples also for learning..     whatever i mentioned is
good
> >for VB..  other languages like C# and C++ also can be used..  there r
many
> >sites which give u info on that...    hope this is heplfull..    have
fun...

> Of course Phalgun Babu meant http://www.*-*-*.com/ :) Jack Hoxley
> has some great VB/DX8 tutorials and a basic app DX9 tutorial at that
> site. Try the DX8 tutorial series of 27 tutorials in sequence and you
> should find that you end up understanding a lot of the basics at the end
> of it, and know enough about the more advanced methods to go looking for
> more info. If you only look at one site then this should be the one !

> Eric DeBrosse (an MVP) has some good downloadable source at
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> At Extreme Visual Basic Forums ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) they
> have a sub-forum under 'Game Programming' specifically for 'DirectX'.
> You might find some useful info here with a search.

> Lucky's VB {*filter*} site ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/tutorials.php)
> contains a lot of older reference material for DX7 and working in 2D,
> but hidden in there are some DX8/3D gems, as well as links out to other
> sources.

> The vast majority of 'free' code out there for DirectX is C/C++, so a
> basic understanding of C coding practices will help you convert any
> simple C examples you find to VB code. Of course, if you take the next
> step and actually learn C then Google will find you myriads of sites
> offering tutorials :)

> --
> Alfie
> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
> As they say at Microsoft - 'What do you want to reinstall today ?'

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:07:53 GMT
 Newbie in need of direction
hey..
    we both started the same way i guess..     i am currently workign on DX9
and VB.NET and it is really cool. especially .NET as it is object
oriented...   u also should try it if u get time..     and thanks for all
the advise..  i am on quite a few newsgroups...   but generally it takes
time (as u know..) to get solutions..  with no good source available for
DX9..  soemting is better that nothing anyway...    Jack's stuff on DX9 is
decent but is very specific..   i got tips frm that but need lot more..
anyway..  hopefully he will come up wit someting similar to DX8 stuff soon..
but jsut in case u come across soem site for DX9 please mail it across..
it would be really helpfull for me.

To newbie (andre):  hope ur problem is solved...  hehe..

thanks again
regards
Phalgun Babu

Quote:
> Some time on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:37:53 +0530, "Phalgun Babu"

> >ooops..
> >  thanks for correcting my spelling mistake in the website address
> >Mr.Finch...     and the other sites he mentioned are also good..  but
next
> >only to Jack Hoxley's www.directx4vb.com (foof.. got it correct this
> >time..)..     but i was wondering Alfie, if u know soem good site for
> >DirectX 9..  which can give me info about the soo many new functionality
> >they have added compared to DX8..   i have tried but efforts were in
vain..
> >    any info wuld be of great help..    thanks..

> You're welcome, hope I was polite enough but couldn't let someone not
> find Jack's tutorials :) Jack's site is the best source I have come
> across for DirectX 8 development in VB. Following the big tutorial I got
> my first test apps up and running and have been inspired to try to
> create a CRPG game in 3D using VB6/DX8.

> Jack also has that initial DirectX 9 tutorial and as he is also active
> on some developer fora for VB/DX I expect we will see more from him as
> he learns. I've noticed he's been popping up in some .NET fora recently
> so maybe he is working on it ?

> Most of the DX9 tutorials I have seen using .NET are focusing on C++ &
> C#, and many are still at the 'how to create a basic DX app' like the
> SDK examples.

> I haven't delved into DX9 or VB.NET too much yet as I'm concentrating on
> my VB6/DX8 development (mostly for backward compatibility with friends
> using older PCs/Win OSs), also I had no end of trouble installing DX9
> because my VB.NET is the learning edition so none of the wizards worked
> and I had to manually install the libraries.

> If I find any good sites I'll mail you, but you might want to lurk in
> the microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb and
> microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.managed newsgroups and
> possibly microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.graphics.shaders.
> There has been a lot of code posted there, mostly in the 'what am I
> doing wrong ?' vein but it will give you ideas.

> --
> Alfie
> <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
> The great thing about pessimism is that you are either 'right as usual' or

'pleasantly surprised'.

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:32:35 GMT

1. Newbie needs direction

2. Newbie needs direction

3. Newbie needs some direction on sharing

4. Newbie - Shove Me in the Right Direction - App Style Question

5. Need a direction to head...

6. Experienced Programmer needs quick shove in the right direction

7. Need help on direction to start looking

8. Remote Management - Direction Needed

9. Need a point in the right direction...

10. Need advice on a direction

11. Help - Need database product direction

12. Text file to Access table need direction