Progressive Meshes
Author Message
 Progressive Meshes

I'm trying to understand how to use progressive meshes to help rendering
performance for distant landform objects. So far I can't understand how they
work and how to use them. I've looked through the sdk help and the Mesh
Viewer app, which can create them, but am having a hard time getting the
concepts from what's there. Any links to discussions or examples would be
much appreciated.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:22:50 GMT
 Progressive Meshes
Quote:
> I found some code on this site:

http://utenti.lycos.it/robertozero/main.htm

<watch for wrap>
http://translate.google.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://utenti.l...
</watch for wrap>

Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Sun, 01 May 2005 06:34:34 GMT
 Progressive Meshes
I found some code on this site: http://utenti.lycos.it/robertozero/main.htm

as long as you couldn't speak italien you will have to try some downloads
:), I don't have the sample any more (otherwise I would have send it to you)

Quote:
> I'm trying to understand how to use progressive meshes to help rendering
> performance for distant landform objects. So far I can't understand how
they
> work and how to use them. I've looked through the sdk help and the Mesh
> Viewer app, which can create them, but am having a hard time getting the
> concepts from what's there. Any links to discussions or examples would be
> much appreciated.

Sun, 01 May 2005 05:06:57 GMT
 Progressive Meshes
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the sample and can make some sense out of
the explanation from the translation. I did find some other links on Google,
but most concerned the theory and algorithms of progressive meshes. Its
still not clear to me whether DirectX will decide which level of detail to
display at various distances, and if so, how you control that in building
the progressive mesh object (I'd like to save it to file). I've been
building my own terrain x files, and would need to extend these to
progressive meshes, or find some way to do that afterward.
I've experimented with the Mesh Viewer from the SDK loading the mesh  files
I built, but every time I use "Convert Selected to PM", my terrain mesh goes
from 394 faces down to17 - I can't get it to change by varying the error
weights. How this is supposed to work to create the different LOD meshes in
the Mesh Viewer is beyond me. I'd appreciate any help on any of this!

Sun, 01 May 2005 07:59:28 GMT

1. Progressive meshes / Simplifying meshes

2. Mesh Names or Mesh Subset Names

3. Mesh Picking, Boned Animation, Faked Meshes

4. Progressive Bar

5. progressive bar in status bar

6. D3DRM Progressive Detail

7. Mesh generation

8. Shaded Mesh over VB5 forms?

9. How to get the W component from a Mesh

10. Rotate A Mesh : Precudure

11. Transform Vector or Mesh(Not addressed here)