InStr( & Trim() won't work...
Author Message
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...

Hi:

I am a beginner in Visual Basic. I am programming in VBA in Excel in order
to control some instrument.
I met the following problem when I migrate my program among different
computers.

I copied all my files into a new computer, when I type inStr(blah, blah...)
& Trim(Blah). I can't see the pop-up
window which tells me the arguments used in this function. Usually I saw
this small yellow window as a hint
for the syntax.

My program fails on some machines and the error is something like
"Object/function not found". The yellow
pop-up window won't appear on these machines.

Anyone have met such experience please advise, also please CC to

--
Best Regards,
X. Q. J

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:23:57 GMT
[...]

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:23:11 GMT
[...]

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:24:08 GMT
[...]

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:24:30 GMT
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...
Try to put quotes around the string (it only works with character)

--
With best regards
Bernd Hallmann

Quote:
> Hi:

> I am a beginner in Visual Basic. I am programming in VBA in Excel in order
> to control some instrument.
> I met the following problem when I migrate my program among different
> computers.

> I copied all my files into a new computer, when I type inStr(blah,

blah...)

dim position as integer
position= instr("blah blah... something ", "something")
debug.print position
15
(that mean the word "something" starts at position 15)

Quote:
> & Trim(Blah). I can't see the pop-up

on you sample there ist nothing to trim

Try Trim("    Blah       ")
debug.print  Trim("    Blah       ")
Blah                  (nothing in front an nothing behind it)

oder

a$ ="     Blah    "
trim(a$)
debug.print trim(a$)
Blah                  (nothing in front an nothing behind it)

Quote:
> window which tells me the arguments used in this function. Usually I saw
> this small yellow window as a hint
> for the syntax.

> My program fails on some machines and the error is something like
> "Object/function not found". The yellow
> pop-up window won't appear on these machines.

> Anyone have met such experience please advise, also please CC to

> --
> Best Regards,

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:46:46 GMT
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...
Which version of Excel does this computer have? "Instr()" and "Trim()" are
features of VBA6 which was introduced with Office 2000 I think.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:50:59 GMT
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...
This is a DirectX newsgroup.

Quote:
> Hi:

> I am a beginner in Visual Basic. I am programming in VBA in Excel in order
> to control some instrument.
> I met the following problem when I migrate my program among different
> computers.

> I copied all my files into a new computer, when I type inStr(blah,
blah...)
> & Trim(Blah). I can't see the pop-up
> window which tells me the arguments used in this function. Usually I saw
> this small yellow window as a hint
> for the syntax.

> My program fails on some machines and the error is something like
> "Object/function not found". The yellow
> pop-up window won't appear on these machines.

> Anyone have met such experience please advise, also please CC to

> --
> Best Regards,
> X. Q. J
> Engineer

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:58:56 GMT
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...
No, no, no. Its a missing reference thats an age old misreporting problem.
Just get all the OCX versions right, theres a massive fix around 4 years ago
for allthis dll hell - its to do with the MSCommCtls, IE versions, wininet,
Comcat.dll etc etc. hell itself.

Quote:
> Which version of Excel does this computer have? "Instr()" and "Trim()" are
> features of VBA6 which was introduced with Office 2000 I think.

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:19:07 GMT
 InStr( & Trim() won't work...
You are referencing something that you are missing. This a typical problem
when you are missing a reference. IT has nothing to do with InStr or Trim.

Mark Baird

Quote:
> Hi:

> I am a beginner in Visual Basic. I am programming in VBA in Excel in order
> to control some instrument.
> I met the following problem when I migrate my program among different
> computers.

> I copied all my files into a new computer, when I type inStr(blah,
blah...)
> & Trim(Blah). I can't see the pop-up
> window which tells me the arguments used in this function. Usually I saw
> this small yellow window as a hint
> for the syntax.

> My program fails on some machines and the error is something like
> "Object/function not found". The yellow
> pop-up window won't appear on these machines.

> Anyone have met such experience please advise, also please CC to

> --
> Best Regards,
> X. Q. J
> Engineer

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:37:42 GMT

1. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

2. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

3. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

4. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

5. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

6. InStr( & Trim() won't work...

7. Why won't INSTR() work!!???

8. Date, Trim, STR Functions Don't Work

9. HELP! trim suddenly doesn't work

10. InStr doesn't work correctly in PowerPoint 97

11. simple ftp app developed on win98 won't work on win nt

12. Why doesn't this InStr syntax work?