How to get 3D coordinates using mouse ??
Author Message
 How to get 3D coordinates using mouse ??

hi to all,
    i will explain with a small example..  assume there are 2 cubes side by
side with the origin as the centre..   on the mouse click i wanted to know
which cube i clicked on..    please let me know which is the best method to
do so..     im working on DX9 + VB.NET
1. can i use windows normal mouse..??
2. will mouse controlled by DirectInput be helpful...??
3. is it best to play around with camera n viewpoint matrices to get the
coordinates..??
4. can ray-picking be done using VB.NET..??
5. any other method u can suggest me..

any suggesiong or help will be appreciated..     thanks a lot...

regards
phalgun babu

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:36:34 GMT
 How to get 3D coordinates using mouse ??
have a look at the Pick example in the sdk - shows you how to do it there

1. yes
2. doesnt matter
3. doesnt matter
4. yes! im pretty sure anyway
5. have a look at the pick example!

Quote:
> hi to all,
>     i will explain with a small example..  assume there are 2 cubes side
by
> side with the origin as the centre..   on the mouse click i wanted to know
> which cube i clicked on..    please let me know which is the best method
> do so..     im working on DX9 + VB.NET
> 1. can i use windows normal mouse..??
> 2. will mouse controlled by DirectInput be helpful...??
> 3. is it best to play around with camera n viewpoint matrices to get the
> coordinates..??
> 4. can ray-picking be done using VB.NET..??
> 5. any other method u can suggest me..

> any suggesiong or help will be appreciated..     thanks a lot...

> regards
> phalgun babu

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:43:28 GMT

1. Getting Mouse Coordinates

2. Getting Mouse Coordinates From Click event

3. getting mouse coordinate when moving over a form

4. Turning 3d objects using a mouse

5. How do I coordinate the screen's coordinates with a form coordinate

6. Question about 3d -> 2d coordinate conversion

7. Help with 3D coordinate in a 2D game

8. 3D Coordinates

9. Direct 3D 2D screen coordinates

10. 3d space coordinate calcs