Trying to capture a video frame in VB.NET
Author Message
 Trying to capture a video frame in VB.NET

I am trying to find the easiest method to capture a
single frame of video and be able to get it into an image
format that I can use as the Image for a Picturebox. I
have not been able to find a method to do this yet. I am
using DX9 managed code and there is practically no
usefull help on this yet. I tried rendering the video to
a texture and using a textureloader to save the texture
as a bitmap but I can't get that to work, I just get the
oh so helpful application error dialog box.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew Judd

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:32:32 GMT
 Trying to capture a video frame in VB.NET
Have you used the dbmon utility to see what the error is? It's in the DXSDK
directory under bin\DXUtils (I think).
I've seen other people use methods to lock the backbuffer (surface) and copy
the bits to a surface for saving. It sounds like your method may be easier
and you just need to tweak the call to get it to work. Hopefully dbmon can
point you to what's wrong.

-Nerseus

Quote:
> I am trying to find the easiest method to capture a
> single frame of video and be able to get it into an image
> format that I can use as the Image for a Picturebox. I
> have not been able to find a method to do this yet. I am
> using DX9 managed code and there is practically no
> usefull help on this yet. I tried rendering the video to
> a texture and using a textureloader to save the texture
> as a bitmap but I can't get that to work, I just get the
> oh so helpful application error dialog box.

> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Matthew Judd

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:09:08 GMT
 Trying to capture a video frame in VB.NET

Hi.

If the video frame is visible on a form, then the following article may
help (even though it was written for Visual Basic 6.0):

HOW TO: Save the Client Area of a Visual Basic Form to a DIB Section
ID: 318188

Thanks,
-Greg
Microsoft Developer Support

Visit http://www.microsoft.com/security for current information on security.

--------------------

| Subject: Trying to capture a video frame in VB.NET
| Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:32:32 -0800

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.directx
|
| I am trying to find the easiest method to capture a
| single frame of video and be able to get it into an image
| format that I can use as the Image for a Picturebox. I
| have not been able to find a method to do this yet. I am
| using DX9 managed code and there is practically no
| usefull help on this yet. I tried rendering the video to
| a texture and using a textureloader to save the texture
| as a bitmap but I can't get that to work, I just get the
| oh so helpful application error dialog box.
|
| Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Matthew Judd

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 05:12:17 GMT

1. video capture via firewire in VB.net

2. VB.Net Video Capture Example

3. VB.NET Video Capture

4. Capturing a video frame?

5. Frame grabbers/Video Capture

6. Capturing Frames from a video source

7. Capturing Frames from a video source

8. Need to: Video Capture a single frame, and save as JPG

9. Capturing Frames from a video source

10. How To Copy Capture Video Frame to PictureBox?

11. Video Capture Frame save or not ?

12. Process each video capture frame