help: mapping font in 3d and alphablend a lit untransformed polygon
Author Message
 help: mapping font in 3d and alphablend a lit untransformed polygon

hi all.
ok bear with me this might be kinda long.

i am trying to implement a plane in a direct3d space
where a user may type. so what i need to know to do this
is:

1. whats the best way to map a font onto a 4-vertex
polygon? (essentially a 3d rectangle, or label as i call
it)

2. if the answer to number 1 is to use textures, how do i
alter the texture memory for the texture at runtime?

also, another question. i have 3 unlit, untransformed
polys that are working fine. i now want to add 1 lit,
untransformed poly and have it translucent. like a simple
window, showing the 3 unlit, untransformed polys behind
it. what do i need to do to implement this? i have tried
a couple of things but to no avail on the alphablending :(

thanks for any and all help!

Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:27:58 GMT
 help: mapping font in 3d and alphablend a lit untransformed polygon

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 help: mapping font in 3d and alphablend a lit untransformed polygon

Quote:
> 1. whats the best way to map a font onto a 4-vertex
> polygon? (essentially a 3d rectangle, or label as i call
> it)

In my downloads section, you will find a demo called "Render to Surface
Text", this should get you where you want to go.

Quote:
> also, another question. i have 3 unlit, untransformed
> polys that are working fine. i now want to add 1 lit,
> untransformed poly and have it translucent. like a simple
> window, showing the 3 unlit, untransformed polys behind
> it. what do i need to do to implement this? i have tried
> a couple of things but to no avail on the alphablending :(

My "Frame Buffer Processing" sample lets you visualize the various alpha
blending states.  Perhaps this will help.  The billboard sample in the SDK
uses alpha blending to render the trees -- it also demonstrates how to sort
your polygons so the alpha blending is done correctly.

hth

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:14:34 GMT
 help: mapping font in 3d and alphablend a lit untransformed polygon
thanks a bunch. very swell examples!

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:48:24 GMT

1. Lighting up countries on a map...help!

2. Problem with 3D-fonts in 3D-panels

3. How to make light 3D controls

4. 3D Polygon Graphics

5. 3D Polygon Engine, please (better described)

6. 3D Polygon Engine

7. 3D polygon rendering

8. 3D look to polygon ???

9. 3d and polygons, raw,

10. 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

11. 3d map editor

12. Update: Tile maps in 3D