VB vs C++
Author Message
 VB vs C++

Just curious, but if VB is too slow for commercial video
game development then why is Microsoft supporting VB
development using DirectX?

Any thoughts?

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:14:40 GMT
 VB vs C++

DirectX is not necessarily usable only in commercial video games. Moreover
though VB is not especially quick for complex calculations, more and more
work is done in the GPU and the host language probably matter less than
previously (for example I guess that the part of assembly code in a game
source code should have significantly decreased since DOS old days). Looks
much like data management when language speed was important when we were
still working with low level file access and doesn't matter much now that
this is essentially calls to a DBMS server.

Plus it's worth to have it under .NET has it allows to use DirectX the same
way for all .NET based languages and they have to create a single "binding"
library for this...

Patrice

Quote:
> Just curious, but if VB is too slow for commercial video
> game development then why is Microsoft supporting VB
> development using DirectX?

> Any thoughts?

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:08:26 GMT
 VB vs C++
You could take a look at my homepage www.matrixvb.da.ru, I wrote an Quake3
map renderer and it works on an good speed (but you should have at least an
600mhz + ati rage128 pc). I think it will be faster as soon as I could port
it to VB.Net, so there will be no problem for an commercial standard app
using VB (except my stupidness) :)

VB is also good for stuff like level editors, you could also use Cpp or ASM
dlls to speed up VB programms (self written math DLLs are sometimes much
faster than the D3DX8 [but not D3DX9, because DX9 doesn't use an COM
wrapper] library!)

Quote:
> DirectX is not necessarily usable only in commercial video games. Moreover
> though VB is not especially quick for complex calculations, more and more
> work is done in the GPU and the host language probably matter less than
> previously (for example I guess that the part of assembly code in a game
> source code should have significantly decreased since DOS old days). Looks
> much like data management when language speed was important when we were
> still working with low level file access and doesn't matter much now that
> this is essentially calls to a DBMS server.

> Plus it's worth to have it under .NET has it allows to use DirectX the
same
> way for all .NET based languages and they have to create a single
"binding"
> library for this...

> Patrice

> > Just curious, but if VB is too slow for commercial video
> > game development then why is Microsoft supporting VB
> > development using DirectX?

> > Any thoughts?

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:04:21 GMT
 VB vs C++

I think I've seen some of your code examples on the web
Patrice.  I hope you don't think I was putting VB down.  I
use it every day for writing business apps and I have done
some 2-D DirectX programming with it too.  For 2D the
speed seemed fine.  VB is a great tool in my opinion, but
for 3D applications it may not be fast enough (from what
I've heard, haven't actually tried it).

I was merely just trying to find out where people thought
it was headed.  Do you think that commercial game
companies will do some development in VB as they begin to
switch to the .NET platform for example?

With increasing speed in computers, using VB may become
more acceptable, which would definitely decrease
development time.

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:18:34 GMT
 VB vs C++
I think you'll definitely find some games written in VB.NET or C# and DX9.
Will they be Quake 3 style FPS? Probably not, but maybe. More likely, you'll
find puzzle games, platformers, and maybe a few RPGs. It's not because
VB.NET or C# couldn't be used to write a FPS but the knowledge required is
MUCH more. I don't think there are teams of programmers forming together to
write such a *complicated* game. The speed issues can be gotten around for
the most part. And well written code can perform remarkably well.
This is just my opinion of course.

I believe there are actually a number of commercial games written in VB6 and
DirectX. I know there used to be a site that listed games written in VB but
I can't remember it offhand.

-Nerseus

Quote:
> I think I've seen some of your code examples on the web
> Patrice.  I hope you don't think I was putting VB down.  I
> use it every day for writing business apps and I have done
> some 2-D DirectX programming with it too.  For 2D the
> speed seemed fine.  VB is a great tool in my opinion, but
> for 3D applications it may not be fast enough (from what
> I've heard, haven't actually tried it).

> I was merely just trying to find out where people thought
> it was headed.  Do you think that commercial game
> companies will do some development in VB as they begin to
> switch to the .NET platform for example?

> With increasing speed in computers, using VB may become
> more acceptable, which would definitely decrease
> development time.

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:56:43 GMT
 VB vs C++
I use DX with VB6 to create electronic music.  It's an
easy way to create a sound editor or control panel for a
virtual audio machine.  The only two deficits are from the
actual processor's ability to perform floating point calcs
and DirectX's propagation delay of 150ms.  Oh, and the DX
developers limited understanding of MIDI.

I have written to Intel asking them to include a 32bit
floating point DSP on-chip in their next generation.
There are a lot of new wares possible for those with
vision.

Peace!

Quote:

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:01:49 GMT

1. performance in VB vs C++

2. VB vs C++

3. VB vs C++

4. vb vs C++ (oop)

5. VB vs C++ (oop)

6. VB vs C# vs C++

7. Visual C++ vs Borland C++ advice

8. VARIANT, component references in VB vs. C++

9. C++ vs VB

10. VB 5 vs. C/C++

11. C++ vs VB

12. Newbie: Strange problems (and C++ vs VB)