DirectPlay Problems (DX7)
Author Message
 DirectPlay Problems (DX7)

Hello all.  I hope you can help me figure out this
problem I am having.  I am using DirectPlay (DX7) for
VB.  I have created a multi-player game, and I built the
multi-player portion based on the Whiteboard sample that
came with the SDK  (I basically took the 'chat' portion
out and put it into my app).  Here's my situation:
Everything works fine when played over my 3-computer
LAN.  However, last night I finally got a chance to try
it out over the internet.  Everything worked fine, EXCEPT
one thing:  Everybody was able to communicate with each
other, but the person playing on my LAN was unable to
receive anything from the remote player over the
internet.  Text going out from the LAN got to the remote
internet player, but text coming in from the remote
player only came to me... the other computer on my
network didn't get it.  It is baffling.  The computers on
my LAN share my internet connection.  I had my firewall
disabled, and there is no firewall on the other computers
in my LAN.  Does anybody have any ideas why this wouldn't
work?  And why it is that data going OUT from the
networked computer reached the person over the internet,
but data coming IN from the internet wouldn't reach the
networked computer?

Thanks,
Kevin

Wed, 06 Jul 2005 07:30:05 GMT
 DirectPlay Problems (DX7)
When you have a LAN each computer on the LAN gets an IP address but when
your on the Internet only the computer connected has the Internet IP so if
you want to do this you'll probably have to write a routing program(users
connect to the Internet computer using IPX or winsock then the program
connects to the Interent on TCP/IP and relays the data to who connected)

Quote:
> Hello all.  I hope you can help me figure out this
> problem I am having.  I am using DirectPlay (DX7) for
> VB.  I have created a multi-player game, and I built the
> multi-player portion based on the Whiteboard sample that
> came with the SDK  (I basically took the 'chat' portion
> out and put it into my app).  Here's my situation:
> Everything works fine when played over my 3-computer
> LAN.  However, last night I finally got a chance to try
> it out over the internet.  Everything worked fine, EXCEPT
> one thing:  Everybody was able to communicate with each
> other, but the person playing on my LAN was unable to
> receive anything from the remote player over the
> internet.  Text going out from the LAN got to the remote
> internet player, but text coming in from the remote
> player only came to me... the other computer on my
> network didn't get it.  It is baffling.  The computers on
> my LAN share my internet connection.  I had my firewall
> disabled, and there is no firewall on the other computers
> in my LAN.  Does anybody have any ideas why this wouldn't
> work?  And why it is that data going OUT from the
> networked computer reached the person over the internet,
> but data coming IN from the internet wouldn't reach the
> networked computer?

> Thanks,
> Kevin

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:33:44 GMT
 DirectPlay Problems (DX7)

Hi Kevin,
What type of Internet connection sharing are you doing?
If you are using ICS or a uPnP compatible router, you
should be fine with DX8.1 or higher.
HTH,
Larry

Quote:

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:57:40 GMT
 DirectPlay Problems (DX7)
Well they do use ICS and I have a uPnP router, and they
are all using DX8.1.  The only major difference is that
one computer on the network is running Win98, and the
rest are running XP.  I haven't yet tried all three
networked computers at the same time while playing over
the internet... it could be a Win98 problem.

-Kevin

Quote:

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:04:20 GMT
 DirectPlay Problems (DX7)
I was under the assumption that when you connect to the
internet, all computers on the network (including the
ones that don't connect "directly") get an internet IP.
I thought this because if you check all the IPs when not
on the internet, then compare them again after you
connect the main computer to the internet, all of the IPs
are different.  So wouldn't those be internet IPs???  And
it still doesn't quite explain why data going out from
the network reaches the person on the internet, while
data coming from the internet doesn't reach the computer
on the network.  On your suggestion though, I have
decided that if this simply doesn't work, then I will
write code to see if people are on a network, and if so,
forward the data to the networked computers as it comes
in.

-Kevin

Quote:

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:01:38 GMT

1. DX7 DirectPlay SDK Docs needed

2. DX7 DirectPlay How to use DirectPlayLobby3

3. Having a problem with colors in DX7 reference

4. DirectX-DirectPlay Problems-

5. DirectPlay problem using DX8

6. Problems with DirectPlay Tutorial

7. DirectPlay Problem- Automation Error