Weather mapping
Author Message
 Weather mapping

Over the past week or so I've been looking into availability of components
(i.e ActiveX) to develop a weather mapping application. I haven't really
found what I want - I need something that's simple (2D with color/graphics
for plotting pressure differentials on longitude/latitude coordinates) and
affordable (NOT $5000, like MapInfo's MapX). So here's my question: how
would DirectX fit the bill to accomplishing this?
Warning: I've done NO graphics programming but I'm well versed in VB
development with database integration. Let me know what you graphics gurus
think. Thank you.

Earl Lewis

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:27:13 GMT
 Weather mapping
easily within DX graphics' capabilities.

--

Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a

> Over the past week or so I've been looking into availability of components
> (i.e ActiveX) to develop a weather mapping application. I haven't really
> found what I want - I need something that's simple (2D with color/graphics
> for plotting pressure differentials on longitude/latitude coordinates) and
> affordable (NOT $5000, like MapInfo's MapX). So here's my question: how
> would DirectX fit the bill to accomplishing this?
> Warning: I've done NO graphics programming but I'm well versed in VB
> development with database integration. Let me know what you graphics gurus
> think. Thank you.

> Earl Lewis

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 06:37:46 GMT
 Weather mapping
Phil,

Would there be anything available in the way of pre-built global
maps/routines for DX that I could use to jumpstart this effort or would I be
starting from scratch?

Earl Lewis

Quote:
> easily within DX graphics' capabilities.

> --

> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
rights.

> > Over the past week or so I've been looking into availability of
components
> > (i.e ActiveX) to develop a weather mapping application. I haven't really
> > found what I want - I need something that's simple (2D with
color/graphics
> > for plotting pressure differentials on longitude/latitude coordinates)
and
> > affordable (NOT $5000, like MapInfo's MapX). So here's my question: how
> > would DirectX fit the bill to accomplishing this?
> > Warning: I've done NO graphics programming but I'm well versed in VB
> > development with database integration. Let me know what you graphics
gurus
> > think. Thank you.

> > Earl Lewis

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 06:52:03 GMT
 Weather mapping
the DX SDK is a low-level SDK.

so for mapping applications, we dont have anything "in the box".

however, a google search might prove useful. I have to believe someone
somewhere has done mapping/cartography using DX.

--

Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
few more bits and bobs.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

> Phil,

> Would there be anything available in the way of pre-built global
> maps/routines for DX that I could use to jumpstart this effort or would I
be
> starting from scratch?

> Earl Lewis

> > easily within DX graphics' capabilities.

> > --

> > Phil Taylor
> > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and
> > few more bits and bobs.
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> rights.

> > > Over the past week or so I've been looking into availability of
> components
> > > (i.e ActiveX) to develop a weather mapping application. I haven't
really
> > > found what I want - I need something that's simple (2D with
> color/graphics
> > > for plotting pressure differentials on longitude/latitude coordinates)
> and
> > > affordable (NOT $5000, like MapInfo's MapX). So here's my question:
how
> > > would DirectX fit the bill to accomplishing this?
> > > Warning: I've done NO graphics programming but I'm well versed in VB
> > > development with database integration. Let me know what you graphics
> gurus
> > > think. Thank you.

> > > Earl Lewis

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:30:24 GMT
 Weather mapping

> the DX SDK is a low-level SDK.

> so for mapping applications, we dont have anything "in the box".

Hello Philip,

What a pity you don't have anything "in the box" from your point of view. At
least you cannot flog even more rotten software full of bugs like Windows
98SE for example. I'm typing this message wondering if I will get to the end
before the computer crashes as it does on a regular basis. My advice to you
is to stay in your box where you and Microsoft belong. When scientists crack
the problem of solid state mass storage I hope and pray we then see the
demise of a totally corrupt company called Microsoft. You make my {*filter*} boil
when I think of the pressure everyone who uses a PC running under Windows is
under.

Peter Nolan.
Dublin.

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:18:50 GMT
 Weather mapping
Not exactly DirectX, but you may want to look at Microsoft's MapPoint .Net
SDK. I haven't used it myself, but remembered getting a trial CD from a
Microsoft event quite some time ago.

~ Chris

Quote:
> the DX SDK is a low-level SDK.

> so for mapping applications, we dont have anything "in the box".

> however, a google search might prove useful. I have to believe someone
> somewhere has done mapping/cartography using DX.

> --

> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
rights.

> > Phil,

> > Would there be anything available in the way of pre-built global
> > maps/routines for DX that I could use to jumpstart this effort or would
> be
> > starting from scratch?

> > Earl Lewis

> > > easily within DX graphics' capabilities.

> > > --

> > > Phil Taylor
> > > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers,
and
> > > few more bits and bobs.
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> > rights.

> > components
> really
> > color/graphics
> > and
> how
> > gurus

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:13:35 GMT

1. Getting Weather Info

2. Weather/Climate and Programming

3. Two old BASIC programs on weather prediction

4. World Weather Database

5. Weather

6. check weather the form is used

7. Stock and Weather Download