Move a mesh
Author Message
 Move a mesh

Hi, i just make a little program from my own whithout using Microsoft
Classes. I've manage to load and display a .x file but now, i don't know how
to move it whithout move the world. i only want to move this mesh.
Someone know how i can do ?

Thanks

Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:02:51 GMT
 Move a mesh
This is done by updating the world matrix before rendering the mesh. The
world matrix allows to transform model coordinates to world coordinates and
is usually set once by group of objects (sharing the same local coordinate
systems).

--
Patrice Scribe

Quote:
> Hi, i just make a little program from my own whithout using Microsoft
> Classes. I've manage to load and display a .x file but now, i don't know
how
> to move it whithout move the world. i only want to move this mesh.
> Someone know how i can do ?

> Thanks

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:24:36 GMT
 Move a mesh
i'm use the word coorditate for move the object, in fact :
-change the world coordinate
-draw some object
-change another time the world coordinate
-draw another object

it is bad for the 3d-pipeline?

Quote:
> This is done by updating the world matrix before rendering the mesh. The
> world matrix allows to transform model coordinates to world coordinates
and
> is usually set once by group of objects (sharing the same local coordinate
> systems).

> --
> Patrice Scribe

> > Hi, i just make a little program from my own whithout using Microsoft
> > Classes. I've manage to load and display a .x file but now, i don't know
> how
> > to move it whithout move the world. i only want to move this mesh.
> > Someone know how i can do ?

> > Thanks

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:42:56 GMT
 Move a mesh
use setvelocity

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:48:13 GMT
 Move a mesh
Do you mean changing the world matrix ?

I'm not a hardware expert but this is likely easy to just insert a matrix
(just few bytes) in the instruction flow. When using another texture, the
hardware will need to access another memory area (perhaps not of the same
type), not using the same format, to find out which mipmap to use, that
could be updated later etc... and probably for this reason it flushes the
pipeline. I doubt that changing the world matrix is that costly.

If you have numerous objects that are always using the same relative
position., you could consider this as a unique model, translate each "sub
model" coordinate relative to your new "model" coordinates. This way you can
use a single world matrix for all these objects instead of using a unique
matrix for each of these "sub models"...

--
Patrice Scribe
http://www.chez.com/scribe/

Quote:
> i'm use the word coorditate for move the object, in fact :
> -change the world coordinate
> -draw some object
> -change another time the world coordinate
> -draw another object

> it is bad for the 3d-pipeline?

> > This is done by updating the world matrix before rendering the mesh. The
> > world matrix allows to transform model coordinates to world coordinates
> and
> > is usually set once by group of objects (sharing the same local
coordinate
> > systems).

> > --
> > Patrice Scribe

> > > Hi, i just make a little program from my own whithout using Microsoft
> > > Classes. I've manage to load and display a .x file but now, i don't
know
> > how
> > > to move it whithout move the world. i only want to move this mesh.
> > > Someone know how i can do ?

> > > Thanks

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:45:05 GMT

1. Moving mesh?

2. NewbieQ - Moving a loaded mesh

3. Moving Meshes

4. Mesh Names or Mesh Subset Names

5. Mesh Picking, Boned Animation, Faked Meshes

6. Progressive meshes / Simplifying meshes

7. Mesh generation

8. Shaded Mesh over VB5 forms?

9. How to get the W component from a Mesh

10. Rotate A Mesh : Precudure

11. Transform Vector or Mesh(Not addressed here)

12. resizing mesh's Vertex buffer