Well... So much for my little project...
Author Message
 Well... So much for my little project...

I just found out that MSFT has made their DX 8.1 managed wrapper available.
I have mixed feelings about this. I'm happy that I can start using DX with
VB.NET in a more serious way, but I'm a little disappointed that all the
work I did on my own managed wrapper has been rendered moot. C'est la vie.

Has anybody else tried this wrapper yet?

Tim

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:25:50 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
we havent "released" the 8.1 Managed layer.

what we have done is make a prototype of the Managed layer available on the
8.1 interfaces. this prototype is timebombed and will be superceded by the
9.0 beta bits.

this is primarily to update customers who got the PDC preview last Oct,
since it expired in Feb, and to enable prototyping by customers with need
and folk who we believe, based on historical interactions, will give us good
feedback.

the DX 9.0 beta should be late spring/early summer ( May-June ) and is the
first time the entire beta list will get a look.
--
Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, WindowsXP Inbox 3D Screensavers, and a

> I just found out that MSFT has made their DX 8.1 managed wrapper
available.
> I have mixed feelings about this. I'm happy that I can start using DX with
> VB.NET in a more serious way, but I'm a little disappointed that all the
> work I did on my own managed wrapper has been rendered moot. C'est la vie.

> Has anybody else tried this wrapper yet?

> Tim

Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:35:26 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...

Quote:

There was a PDC preview?!!!
Phil, I was at the PDC asking *everyone I could find*
about DX in the .NET Framework! To a *man*, they all said
there was no such thing and noone knew when there ever
would be.

And now I come to discover there was a PDC preview!?
What, the $2000+ per (not to mention the wildly expensive
hotel) we paid to sit in on an upcoming technologies
conference doesn't expose us to all the relevant upcoming
technologies?

I vented a bit here, locally, until a friend of mine, a
25-year veteran of IT in five different companies,
said, "Welcome to the world of business."

Listen. I have a demo I would sorely love to complete,
under the .NET managed layers, in time for a 4th May
trade show in my industry. It requires viewing of high-
polygon-count 3D CAD images. I could use a managed-layer
interface, *any* managed layer interface, to get this
done and show the advantages of .NET to my employers. A
simple SDI shell-and-menus isn't going to cut it, but if
they can see some hardware-accelerated alpha blending,
man, that sells seats of software, and that's the bottom
line!

I've already demonstrated to them that implementing new
UI features takes a bazillionth of the time in .NET as
they do in VB6 with COM libraries. There's only one
selling point left, and this is it.

Help me out here! We could have a .NET *product*, for
sale to customers, out the door by DX9's release if you'd
just help me out now!

We return you now to your regular schedule of content-
free platitudes and slipping shipdates.

Rob

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:28:18 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
Hi Rob,

www.betaplace.com

BetaId = ManagedDX
Password = GDC2002

Hope that helps,

Tim

Quote:

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:56:47 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
You are newbies in Ms-products?...

Many people (like me), will go to buy .NET only when MS release the first
service pack. The first .net users is always the "guinea pigs".. of course
for a serious and commercial purpose, .NET, today is not the correct tools.

In any case, VB6SP5 is enough good for many directx projects ;-).. at least
the dxsdk samples, work without problems

Quote:

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:58:09 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
Well the real rule of thumb is to wait for version 3 <grin>. Seriously,
I've been working with .NET for over a year and a half and while the PDC
bits and Beta 1 were shakey, beta 2 was pretty solid and I haven't run into
any real problems with the gold version. There are a few features I wish
they would have included into .NET, but on the whole I wouldn't hesitate to
recommend using it in a production environment.

I've played with the managed DX bits and I think that they are much easier
to use than the current COM based interface for Visual Basic programmers.
Also having true inheritance in the lanaguage can be a big timesaver when
building non-trivial programs. This coupled with the fact that you can
download the .NET SDK for free, which includes a command line VB compiler
makes it possible for people to build applications that couldn't afford the
high price for Visual Studio.

       ..........Wayne

"Recycling electrons into words since 1996."
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books, including
my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible. Subscribe to the JustPC
Developer's Journal - a free email newsletter for Visual Basic programmers

Quote:
> You are newbies in Ms-products?...

> Many people (like me), will go to buy .NET only when MS release the first
> service pack. The first .net users is always the "guinea pigs".. of
course
> for a serious and commercial purpose, .NET, today is not the correct
tools.

> In any case, VB6SP5 is enough good for many directx projects ;-).. at
least
> the dxsdk samples, work without problems

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:14:29 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
I agree. The managed DX bits are a thousand times better than DXVBLIB. If
they're an indication of what DX9 will be like, VB programmers will no
longer be second-class citizens in the DirectX community. Great job Phil,
Tom, and the rest of the DirectX team!

Tim

Quote:
> Well the real rule of thumb is to wait for version 3 <grin>. Seriously,
> I've been working with .NET for over a year and a half and while the PDC
> bits and Beta 1 were shakey, beta 2 was pretty solid and I haven't run
into
> any real problems with the gold version. There are a few features I wish
> they would have included into .NET, but on the whole I wouldn't hesitate
> recommend using it in a production environment.

> I've played with the managed DX bits and I think that they are much easier
> to use than the current COM based interface for Visual Basic programmers.
> Also having true inheritance in the lanaguage can be a big timesaver when
> building non-trivial programs. This coupled with the fact that you can
> download the .NET SDK for free, which includes a command line VB compiler
> makes it possible for people to build applications that couldn't afford
the
> high price for Visual Studio.

>        ..........Wayne

> "Recycling electrons into words since 1996."
> Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books, including
> my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible. Subscribe to the JustPC
> Developer's Journal - a free email newsletter for Visual Basic programmers

> > You are newbies in Ms-products?...

> > Many people (like me), will go to buy .NET only when MS release the
first
> > service pack. The first .net users is always the "guinea pigs".. of
> course
> > for a serious and commercial purpose, .NET, today is not the correct
> tools.

> > In any case, VB6SP5 is enough good for many directx projects ;-).. at
> least
> > the dxsdk samples, work without problems

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:37:24 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
I'm feeling the love.. :)

--
- Tom Miller, Dev Lead, Managed DirectX

> I agree. The managed DX bits are a thousand times better than DXVBLIB. If
> they're an indication of what DX9 will be like, VB programmers will no
> longer be second-class citizens in the DirectX community. Great job Phil,
> Tom, and the rest of the DirectX team!

> Tim

> > Well the real rule of thumb is to wait for version 3 <grin>. Seriously,
> > I've been working with .NET for over a year and a half and while the PDC
> > bits and Beta 1 were shakey, beta 2 was pretty solid and I haven't run
> into
> > any real problems with the gold version. There are a few features I wish
> > they would have included into .NET, but on the whole I wouldn't hesitate
> > recommend using it in a production environment.

> > I've played with the managed DX bits and I think that they are much
easier
> > to use than the current COM based interface for Visual Basic
programmers.
> > Also having true inheritance in the lanaguage can be a big timesaver
when
> > building non-trivial programs. This coupled with the fact that you can
> > download the .NET SDK for free, which includes a command line VB
compiler
> > makes it possible for people to build applications that couldn't afford
> the
> > high price for Visual Studio.

> >        ..........Wayne

> > "Recycling electrons into words since 1996."
> > Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books, including
> > my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
> > and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible. Subscribe to the JustPC
> > Developer's Journal - a free email newsletter for Visual Basic
programmers

> > > You are newbies in Ms-products?...

> > > Many people (like me), will go to buy .NET only when MS release the
> first
> > > service pack. The first .net users is always the "guinea pigs".. of
> > course
> > > for a serious and commercial purpose, .NET, today is not the correct
> > tools.

> > > In any case, VB6SP5 is enough good for many directx projects ;-).. at
> > least
> > > the dxsdk samples, work without problems

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:17:48 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
There was a PDC preview of DirectX, but as far as I know it did not contain
managed bits. You might be able to get access to the managed beta by

and confers no rights.

--------------------

>Subject: Re: Well... So much for my little project...
>Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:28:18 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.directx

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:35:02 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
the PDC preview was entirely Managed DirectX.

--
Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, WindowsXP Inbox 3D Screensavers, and a
few more bits and bobs
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

> There was a PDC preview of DirectX, but as far as I know it did not
contain
> managed bits. You might be able to get access to the managed beta by

> and confers no rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Re: Well... So much for my little project...
> >Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:28:18 -0800

> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.directx

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:10:06 GMT
 Well... So much for my little project...
the PDC release was Managed DirectX only, on 8.1, and expired in Feb.

--
Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, WindowsXP Inbox 3D Screensavers, and a
few more bits and bobs
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

> There was a PDC preview of DirectX, but as far as I know it did not
contain
> managed bits. You might be able to get access to the managed beta by

> and confers no rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Re: Well... So much for my little project...
> >Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:28:18 -0800

> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.directx

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:50:26 GMT

1. A LITTLE PROJECT

2. VB6 opens project files as lots of little windows

3. A LITTLE PROJECT

4. Little project

5. Best Strategy for VBA automation in Project 2000 WITH CODE

6. Best Strategy for VBA automation in Project 2000

7. The best way to organize VB6 projects using stored procedures

8. Best suggestion for packaging a project with databases

9. Best way to save user's project

10. a little help (for a little person)

11. Excel object uses less and less of CPU

12. ♀♂More Efficiency,More Benefit,Less Risk,Less Work!