Strange error using Debug Runtimes...
Author Message
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...

I'm working with DX8.1.

I'm trying to render an indexed triangle list. It works fine when I use the
retail version, but it fails when I switch to the debug version. The debug
output generates the following error:

    'Index stream does not have required number of indices.
DrawIndexedPrimitive failed.'

The index buffer should have the required number of indices, otherwise, it
would fail with the retail version, too. Wouldn't it?

This is kinda driving me nuts. Is there anything in particular that I'd need
to be aware of when switching from debug to retail?

Other potentially useful information:

    - The app is using software vertex processing
    - I'm creating my VB and IB with the WRITEONLY flag and DEFAULT pool.
    - I'm locking my buffers with the NOSYSLOCK flag.
    - The vertex buffer contains nine vertices and the index buffer contains
12 indices.
    - I'm calling DrawIndexedPrimitive with nine vertices and 12 indices.
    - I'm also drawing a reference grid as a non-indexed line list. This
renders just fine whether I'm using Debug or Retail versions.

Thanks,

Tim

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:55:04 GMT
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...
I mean triangle strip.

Quote:
> I'm working with DX8.1.

> I'm trying to render an indexed triangle list. It works fine when I use

the
                                                              ^^

Tim

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 06:10:47 GMT
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...
no, the draw would not fail on the retail version as little or no parameter
validation is done in retail, thats the entire point of the debug version.

you have a problem in your data, and it accidentally works in release mode.
this app may crash on another hw vendors' part, or on a new driver rev on
the current part.

--
Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, WindowsXP Inbox 3D Screensavers, and a

> I'm working with DX8.1.

> I'm trying to render an indexed triangle list. It works fine when I use
the
> retail version, but it fails when I switch to the debug version. The debug
> output generates the following error:

>     'Index stream does not have required number of indices.
> DrawIndexedPrimitive failed.'

> The index buffer should have the required number of indices, otherwise, it
> would fail with the retail version, too. Wouldn't it?

> This is kinda driving me nuts. Is there anything in particular that I'd
need
> to be aware of when switching from debug to retail?

> Other potentially useful information:

>     - The app is using software vertex processing
>     - I'm creating my VB and IB with the WRITEONLY flag and DEFAULT pool.
>     - I'm locking my buffers with the NOSYSLOCK flag.
>     - The vertex buffer contains nine vertices and the index buffer
contains
> 12 indices.
>     - I'm calling DrawIndexedPrimitive with nine vertices and 12 indices.
>     - I'm also drawing a reference grid as a non-indexed line list. This
> renders just fine whether I'm using Debug or Retail versions.

> Thanks,

> Tim

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:54:28 GMT
 Strange error using Debug Runtimes...
Yep. Once again I've screwed the pooch on my DIP call. I specified the
number of indices for the primitive count parameter instead of the number of
faces. Sheesh!

I can't decide if this is an exercise in enlightenment or sheer frustration.

Anyway, thanks again.

Tim

Quote:
> no, the draw would not fail on the retail version as little or no
parameter
> validation is done in retail, thats the entire point of the debug version.

> you have a problem in your data, and it accidentally works in release
mode.
> this app may crash on another hw vendors' part, or on a new driver rev on
> the current part.

> --
> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, WindowsXP Inbox 3D Screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
rights.

> > I'm working with DX8.1.

> > I'm trying to render an indexed triangle list. It works fine when I use
> the
> > retail version, but it fails when I switch to the debug version. The
debug
> > output generates the following error:

> >     'Index stream does not have required number of indices.
> > DrawIndexedPrimitive failed.'

> > The index buffer should have the required number of indices, otherwise,
it
> > would fail with the retail version, too. Wouldn't it?

> > This is kinda driving me nuts. Is there anything in particular that I'd
> need
> > to be aware of when switching from debug to retail?

> > Other potentially useful information:

> >     - The app is using software vertex processing
> >     - I'm creating my VB and IB with the WRITEONLY flag and DEFAULT
pool.
> >     - I'm locking my buffers with the NOSYSLOCK flag.
> >     - The vertex buffer contains nine vertices and the index buffer
> contains
> > 12 indices.
> >     - I'm calling DrawIndexedPrimitive with nine vertices and 12
indices.
> >     - I'm also drawing a reference grid as a non-indexed line list. This
> > renders just fine whether I'm using Debug or Retail versions.

> > Thanks,

> > Tim

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:00:33 GMT

1. Need help debugging ADO error -- VERY Strange

2. runtime error 429 occurs for some strange reason

3. runtime error 429 occurs for some strange reason

4. A very strange runtime error - only happens inside VB4 debugger , not with .exe

5. Debugging COM+ Componets -- Runtime error 91- Object variable or with block not set

6. vb5.exe runtime errors after hitting end when debugging a program

7. Trying to run mdb using A2K Runtime generates runtime error

8. Strange Strange Error

9. Very strange error when using CurrentDB method

10. Strange ODBC errors using DAO to access linked tables

11. Strange Error when using classes in VBS

12. Strange error message in VB using CR