Video, playing mpeg's and changing video height
Author Message
 Video, playing mpeg's and changing video height

Right now i am wriitng two programs, one uses mcisendstring (windows
api), and the other uses DirectShow. They are the basically the same
program to play media, and i am running into some trouble. I am
looking for help, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm writing it in VB, and what i'm trying to do is play my 720x480
mpeg movies, which i've done, but what i want to do is change the
movies in code to be 720x240 and scale them up to fullscreen from
that?

I'm using resizing code with mcisendstring, to resize the window to
240 but then if i use the fullscreen command with play, it will just
scale up from the original height i find.

In the DirectShow app i'm using ActiveMovie, and just Rendering the
file, putting it in a picture box and maximizing the form, and
picturebox that its in.

So i'm looking for code or some references to look at to see how i can
view my movies fullscreen, but have the mpegs scale up to full screen
from the 240 height, not the source 480. I don't want to re-encode the
mpegs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Jason

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:51:56 GMT
 Video, playing mpeg's and changing video height

Quote:

>Right now i am wriitng two programs, one uses mcisendstring (windows
>api), and the other uses DirectShow. They are the basically the same
>program to play media, and i am running into some trouble. I am
>looking for help, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

>I'm writing it in VB, and what i'm trying to do is play my 720x480
>mpeg movies, which i've done, but what i want to do is change the
>movies in code to be 720x240 and scale them up to fullscreen from
>that?

Why?  What do you think this is going to accomplish?  The MPEG decoder is
still going to decode both fields, so you won't save any decode time unless
you actuall recode the movies.

Quote:
>So i'm looking for code or some references to look at to see how i can
>view my movies fullscreen, but have the mpegs scale up to full screen
>from the 240 height, not the source 480. I don't want to re-encode the
>mpegs.

Well, I suppose you could write yourself a filter to extract every other
scanline and insert it into your graph, but that would be silly, wouldn't
it?

What purpose are you trying to achieve?
--

  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:58:47 GMT
 Video, playing mpeg's and changing video height

Quote:
> Right now i am wriitng two programs, one uses mcisendstring (windows
> api), and the other uses DirectShow. They are the basically the same
> program to play media, and i am running into some trouble. I am
> looking for help, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

> I'm writing it in VB, and what i'm trying to do is play my 720x480
> mpeg movies, which i've done, but what i want to do is change the
> movies in code to be 720x240 and scale them up to fullscreen from
> that?

So you want to reduce the quality of the video?  And then after reducing the
quality, augment that reduction by making the reduced quality video full
screen?

In any case, I don't think this is something MCI can do (or at least do very
well). DirectShow might be able to do it (I'm not at all familiar with
DirectShow programming), but I still don't understand the reason for wanting
to do this.  I'd think that video would look terrible.

Mike

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:00:20 GMT
 Video, playing mpeg's and changing video height
Thanks for your response. What i am trying to do is change the video
height to 240 so once scaled up it would appear that the video was
deinterlaced. I don't know if this is the best method or not.

So to answer your question, i'm trying to deinterlace video in VB.

Any help woudld be great.
Thanks again,
Jason

Quote:

> > Right now i am wriitng two programs, one uses mcisendstring (windows
> > api), and the other uses DirectShow. They are the basically the same
> > program to play media, and i am running into some trouble. I am
> > looking for help, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > I'm writing it in VB, and what i'm trying to do is play my 720x480
> > mpeg movies, which i've done, but what i want to do is change the
> > movies in code to be 720x240 and scale them up to fullscreen from
> > that?

> So you want to reduce the quality of the video?  And then after reducing the
> quality, augment that reduction by making the reduced quality video full
> screen?

> In any case, I don't think this is something MCI can do (or at least do very
> well). DirectShow might be able to do it (I'm not at all familiar with
> DirectShow programming), but I still don't understand the reason for wanting
> to do this.  I'd think that video would look terrible.

> Mike

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:50:54 GMT

1. How to play MPEG video?

2. Play MPEG-videos

3. playing MPEG videos in VB

4. Playing Video AVI or MPEG in VB Apps

5. Playing Video clips in VB5 AVI or MPEG

6. Play MPEG Video

7. Help: MCI problem with playing video's

8. VB 6 Need help creating video player (avi/mpeg) with Frame Advance (FF and RF)

9. Need code to make jpgs from MPEG MOV AVI video frame

10. MPEG video playback

11. Detecting when AVI/MPEG video file has finished