Dplay tutorial
Author Message
 Dplay tutorial

Hi everyone,
I'm a not SO experienced programmer. I'm looking for a GOOD, CLEAR tutorial
on directplay in vb. Somehow to me it looks like the documentation M$
provides is not complete enough. I mean, why do they provide a good, clear
tutorial for DInput, and not for Dplay. Anyway, if anybody knows a good
tutorial, please post a link.Thnx in advance.

David

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 04:06:38 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
I agree the dplay vbsamples at first glance will seem very
confusing.  However if you go through the sdk
documentation and understand how a direct play session
evolves from start to finish you will see that the
examples provide a very direct approach that encompass in
one fell swoop most of the options when dealing with a
directplay session.  Including embedding both
client/server and peer to peer options in the main dplay
module.
It can be a little daunting at first but again the key is
in understanding how a dplay session works before using
the samples.
Sorry if I couldn't provide a tutorial but I hope this
helps.
Larry
Quote:

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:29:45 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
Ok, Thnx, I think I understand it a bit better now, but when making a little
test program for myself, I get an error I can't explain:
When using the dplayserver.RegisterMessageHandler method it asks an event as
argument. however in the samples they use me(this is the window that calls
it(frmMain),right?) as argument. When I use that me, i get a Type Mismatch.
When I use the DPlay8Event as argument, I get "invalid procedure call or
argument. What should I do??

David

Quote:
> I agree the dplay vbsamples at first glance will seem very
> confusing.  However if you go through the sdk
> documentation and understand how a direct play session
> evolves from start to finish you will see that the
> examples provide a very direct approach that encompass in
> one fell swoop most of the options when dealing with a
> directplay session.  Including embedding both
> client/server and peer to peer options in the main dplay
> module.
> It can be a little daunting at first but again the key is
> in understanding how a dplay session works before using
> the samples.
> Sorry if I couldn't provide a tutorial but I hope this
> helps.
> Larry

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:34:27 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
Hi,
You MUST have a form that will handle all of the
directplay events.  This form is the message handler.  In
the code of this form you must list all of the possible
event subs that can occur with dplay.  If you look at the
samples you will see where it says in all these events
that directx vb requires all subs be included, whether or
not you're expecting to handle an event of certain type.
So, getting back to your question, when you register the
server, pass it the form of your test app.  Make sure
you've got all the event subs in the code, (you can copy
and paste them from a sample)
Larry
Quote:

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:53:39 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
THANKS A LOT!! I didn't knew that. Now I can continue.

David

Quote:
> Hi,
> You MUST have a form that will handle all of the
> directplay events.  This form is the message handler.  In
> the code of this form you must list all of the possible
> event subs that can occur with dplay.  If you look at the
> samples you will see where it says in all these events
> that directx vb requires all subs be included, whether or
> not you're expecting to handle an event of certain type.
> So, getting back to your question, when you register the
> server, pass it the form of your test app.  Make sure
> you've got all the event subs in the code, (you can copy
> and paste them from a sample)
> Larry

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:38:57 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
Another problem:when doing the setserverinfo method of the Directplay8server
object, I get an automation error. I have set the playerinfo as follows:
Dim player As DPN_PLAYER_INFO
player.lInfoFlags = DPNINFO_NAME
player.lPlayerFlags = DPNPLAYER_HOST
player.Name = "server"

afterwards I do

dps.SetServerInfo player

and I get an Automation Error. There has to be another argument after
"player",  but wich one? this method is never used in the samples AFAIK.

David

Quote:
> I agree the dplay vbsamples at first glance will seem very
> confusing.  However if you go through the sdk
> documentation and understand how a direct play session
> evolves from start to finish you will see that the
> examples provide a very direct approach that encompass in
> one fell swoop most of the options when dealing with a
> directplay session.  Including embedding both
> client/server and peer to peer options in the main dplay
> module.
> It can be a little daunting at first but again the key is
> in understanding how a dplay session works before using
> the samples.
> Sorry if I couldn't provide a tutorial but I hope this
> helps.
> Larry

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 03:05:31 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
Hi David,
Try removing the line:
player.lPlayerFlags = DPNPLAYER_HOST
I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary.  I don't use it.  I
think it's for p2p only.
Larry

Quote:

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:19:57 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
I removed it but I still have the same error.

Quote:
> Hi David,
> Try removing the line:
> player.lPlayerFlags = DPNPLAYER_HOST
> I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary.  I don't use it.  I
> think it's for p2p only.
> Larry

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:17:55 GMT
 Dplay tutorial
Hi David,
There's something I noticed when working with this stuff
and that's sometimes after an error, I wouldn't get a
proper cleanup of dx when running in development mode.
This would cause me to have to close the VB down
completely and start again.  Which in turn has me saving
my work constantly.
Try that, and if you still get the error, you're going to
need to look at the rest of your server setup.
Larry
Quote:

message

>> very
session
encompass
>> in
dplay
key
>> is
using
this

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:55:58 GMT

1. dplay voice

2. dplay voice client/server

3. DPlay Lobby

4. DPLAY Send Picture to remote Server?

5. DPlay, Enumerations Help

6. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

7. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

8. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

9. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

10. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

11. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials

12. Visual Basic tutorial list - more than 50 free online tutorials