Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...
Author Message
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...

Hi all...

I'm rather new to D3D, and it's all but easy. However, I could fix all
problems until now except this one:

I'm drawing several flat squares (=walls), each consisting of two triangles
(in different colors using different materials) which are positioned in
rows. (Actually I'm trying some sort of 3D-labyrinth and until now I'm only
drawing the est-west walls).
The walls are drawn, but the 3D order appears completely wrong. Objects that
should actually be covered by others that are in the foreground are in
foreground themselves (sometimes just in part).
As this is quite difficult to explain, I've uploaded 4 pics to demonstrate
what I mean. You can find them here:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

I've also tried to enable depth buffering, but it doesn't work. With the
software renderer, I get an automation error until I specify SYSTEMMEORY for
the surface, and then I can't see any of the objects. When I use the
hardware renderer (without SYSTEMMEMORY), the display is somewhat crippeled
and it's hard to recognize an object.

In general I'm using approx. the same code as the Depth buffer tutorial
sample (just without the depth buffer because it doesn't work - at least not
in my program).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Michael

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...
Ok, I had to enable Z-Buffering, and it didn't work before because I didn't
clear the z-buffer when I called the "clear" method.

Michael

Quote:
> Hi all...

> I'm rather new to D3D, and it's all but easy. However, I could fix all
> problems until now except this one:

> I'm drawing several flat squares (=walls), each consisting of two
triangles
> (in different colors using different materials) which are positioned in
> rows. (Actually I'm trying some sort of 3D-labyrinth and until now I'm
only
> drawing the est-west walls).
> The walls are drawn, but the 3D order appears completely wrong. Objects
that
> should actually be covered by others that are in the foreground are in
> foreground themselves (sometimes just in part).
> As this is quite difficult to explain, I've uploaded 4 pics to demonstrate
> what I mean. You can find them here:
> http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/unix/72/d3d_prob.htm

> I've also tried to enable depth buffering, but it doesn't work. With the
> software renderer, I get an automation error until I specify SYSTEMMEORY
for
> the surface, and then I can't see any of the objects. When I use the
> hardware renderer (without SYSTEMMEMORY), the display is somewhat
crippeled
> and it's hard to recognize an object.

> In general I'm using approx. the same code as the Depth buffer tutorial
> sample (just without the depth buffer because it doesn't work - at least
not
> in my program).

> Thanks a lot for any help!

> Michael

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...
Ok, I had to enable Z-Buffering, and it didn't work before because I didn't
clear the z-buffer when I called the "clear" method.

Michael

Quote:
> Hi all...

> I'm rather new to D3D, and it's all but easy. However, I could fix all
> problems until now except this one:

> I'm drawing several flat squares (=walls), each consisting of two
triangles
> (in different colors using different materials) which are positioned in
> rows. (Actually I'm trying some sort of 3D-labyrinth and until now I'm
only
> drawing the est-west walls).
> The walls are drawn, but the 3D order appears completely wrong. Objects
that
> should actually be covered by others that are in the foreground are in
> foreground themselves (sometimes just in part).
> As this is quite difficult to explain, I've uploaded 4 pics to demonstrate
> what I mean. You can find them here:
> http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/unix/72/d3d_prob.htm

> I've also tried to enable depth buffering, but it doesn't work. With the
> software renderer, I get an automation error until I specify SYSTEMMEORY
for
> the surface, and then I can't see any of the objects. When I use the
> hardware renderer (without SYSTEMMEMORY), the display is somewhat
crippeled
> and it's hard to recognize an object.

> In general I'm using approx. the same code as the Depth buffer tutorial
> sample (just without the depth buffer because it doesn't work - at least
not
> in my program).

> Thanks a lot for any help!

> Michael

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Some curious Direct3D (IM) problems...

Quote:
>Hi all...

>I'm rather new to D3D, and it's all but easy. However, I could fix all
>problems until now except this one:

>I'm drawing several flat squares (=walls), each consisting of two triangles
>(in different colors using different materials) which are positioned in
>rows. (Actually I'm trying some sort of 3D-labyrinth and until now I'm only
>drawing the est-west walls).
>The walls are drawn, but the 3D order appears completely wrong. Objects that
>should actually be covered by others that are in the foreground are in
>foreground themselves (sometimes just in part).
>As this is quite difficult to explain, I've uploaded 4 pics to demonstrate
>what I mean. You can find them here:
>http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/unix/72/d3d_prob.htm

>I've also tried to enable depth buffering, but it doesn't work. With the
>software renderer, I get an automation error until I specify SYSTEMMEORY for
>the surface, and then I can't see any of the objects. When I use the
>hardware renderer (without SYSTEMMEMORY), the display is somewhat crippeled
>and it's hard to recognize an object.

>In general I'm using approx. the same code as the Depth buffer tutorial
>sample (just without the depth buffer because it doesn't work - at least not
>in my program).

>Thanks a lot for any help!

>Michael

I had a similar problem.  In porting Thatcher Ulrich's program for
quadtree adaptive heightfields to direct3d, I found that I had "holes"
in some of the terrain.  First it seemed like a depth buffer, even the
response from this newsgroup pointed to it being a depth buffer
problem.  I looked through my code over and over but no luck - the
depth buffer was set up correctly.  It turned out to be a problem with
the projection matrix.  Try checking it against the first direct3d
tutorial.

Hope that helps,
BcB
Is the theatre really dead?

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Direct3D 8.1: Problem with Direct3D application

2. praktikum im ausland jobs und praktika im ausland jobs und praktika im ausland 2007 jobvermittlung ehrenamtlich arbeiten im ausland job vermittlung ausland jobboerse arbeit stellenangebote fuer ausland arbeiten im ausland spanien

3. jobs im ausland usa jobboerse bremen job angebote im ausland arbeitsagentur ausland

4. Curious problem

5. Curious VB Problem

6. Curious flashing control problem - not the usual one

7. Curious Printing Problem VB3

8. curious winsock problem

9. Curious Memory problem loading/unloading Forms

10. Curious Problem

11. Curious VB for MS Excel problem - please help

12. Curious problem.