Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"
Author Message
 Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"

After spending some time with the following directx example:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/tutBT.php

This direct X newbie finally got a grasp on both the directdraw and direct3d
capabilities of directx7... Basically using directx7's directdraw for
standard 2D sprites and using the more graphically powerful (alpha blending,
rotating etc.) abilities of directx7 d3d for an additional punch to a 2D
sprite system.

I've been working on a win 98 system, with video card-hardware acceleration,
and I've had no problems at all, I also tested the web-linked example above
and my own examples on a win ME system, this time without hardware
acceleration and again had no problems.

But... I finally got to try out both my work and the web-linked example
above on a win XP system, and I found that though my directdraw "sprites"
alpha-channeling worked fine, the directx7 d3d "sprites" didn't... they
instead displayed the black background that they were originally drawn on.

Any thoughts? Is directx7 fully supported on win XP or perhaps is there
something additional required to get alpha-channeling to work on an XP
system under directx7 d3d?  has anyone else found this?. thoughts, help,
advice? All welcome.

=(

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:27:15 GMT
 Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"
yes D3D7 on XP can alpha-blend.

what card/driver?

I have a series on alpha-blending in my MSDN column, and the accompanying
samples use the D3D7 interfaces.

download them and test.

do they work?

--
Phil Taylor
PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a

> After spending some time with the following directx example:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/tutBT.php

> This direct X newbie finally got a grasp on both the directdraw and
direct3d
> capabilities of directx7... Basically using directx7's directdraw for
> standard 2D sprites and using the more graphically powerful (alpha
blending,
> rotating etc.) abilities of directx7 d3d for an additional punch to a 2D
> sprite system.

> I've been working on a win 98 system, with video card-hardware
acceleration,
> and I've had no problems at all, I also tested the web-linked example
above
> and my own examples on a win ME system, this time without hardware
> acceleration and again had no problems.

> But... I finally got to try out both my work and the web-linked example
> above on a win XP system, and I found that though my directdraw "sprites"
> alpha-channeling worked fine, the directx7 d3d "sprites" didn't... they
> instead displayed the black background that they were originally drawn on.

> Any thoughts? Is directx7 fully supported on win XP or perhaps is there
> something additional required to get alpha-channeling to work on an XP
> system under directx7 d3d?  has anyone else found this?. thoughts, help,
> advice? All welcome.

> =(

---

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 06:27:36 GMT
 Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"
Thanks for getting back to me, the Xp system has a S3 Graphics TwisterK HP
"display adapter".

I should point out that the alphablending does indeed work, its just that
alpha-channelling doesnt, hence the colorkey information (say for example is
set to black) just doesn t work, no d3d7 graphics seem to show up
alpha-channelled - they just render solid =(

I havent used/navigated the MSDN archieves before, is there a spefic address
to where I might find the D3D7 examples you mentioned?

Again any help is appreciated.

Quote:
> yes D3D7 on XP can alpha-blend.

> what card/driver?

> I have a series on alpha-blending in my MSDN column, and the accompanying
> samples use the D3D7 interfaces.

> download them and test.

> do they work?

> --
> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
rights.

> > After spending some time with the following directx example:

> > http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/tutBT.php

> > This direct X newbie finally got a grasp on both the directdraw and
> direct3d
> > capabilities of directx7... Basically using directx7's directdraw for
> > standard 2D sprites and using the more graphically powerful (alpha
> blending,
> > rotating etc.) abilities of directx7 d3d for an additional punch to a 2D
> > sprite system.

> > I've been working on a win 98 system, with video card-hardware
> acceleration,
> > and I've had no problems at all, I also tested the web-linked example
> above
> > and my own examples on a win ME system, this time without hardware
> > acceleration and again had no problems.

> > But... I finally got to try out both my work and the web-linked example
> > above on a win XP system, and I found that though my directdraw
"sprites"
> > alpha-channeling worked fine, the directx7 d3d "sprites" didn't... they
> > instead displayed the black background that they were originally drawn
on.

> > Any thoughts? Is directx7 fully supported on win XP or perhaps is there
> > something additional required to get alpha-channeling to work on an XP
> > system under directx7 d3d?  has anyone else found this?. thoughts, help,
> > advice? All welcome.

> > =(

> ---

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:12:50 GMT
 Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"
http://www.*-*-*.com/
clicking on any article will open the TOC, and from there you can see all of
them.

what does the caps viewer show for surface/texture formats? are texture
formats with alpha available? are you enumerating properly?

--
> [...]

> > > and I've had no problems at all, I also tested the web-linked example
> > above
> > > and my own examples on a win ME system, this time without hardware
> > > acceleration and again had no problems.

> > > But... I finally got to try out both my work and the web-linked
example
> > > above on a win XP system, and I found that though my directdraw
> "sprites"
> > > alpha-channeling worked fine, the directx7 d3d "sprites" didn't...
they
> > > instead displayed the black background that they were originally drawn
> on.

> > > Any thoughts? Is directx7 fully supported on win XP or perhaps is
there
> > > something additional required to get alpha-channeling to work on an XP
> > > system under directx7 d3d?  has anyone else found this?. thoughts,

---

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:07:12 GMT
 Alphachannel problems on Win Xp using DirectX7 d3d "sprites"
After some playing around I discovered that if I disabled the alpha-blending
I could indeed get the alpha channeling to work (no more black backgrounds
for the d3dsprites) but of-course now the ability to fade is lost. below are
the lines disabled from the code:

(code grabbed from the d3d example
http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/tutBT.php)

Dev.SetRenderState D3DRENDERSTATE_TEXTUREFACTOR, dx.CreateColorRGBA(1, 1, 1,
Alpha)
Dev.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTA_TFACTOR

Again without these 2 lines the alpha-channeling works, but the fancy d3d
fades don't, I'm not sure where the problem is, as the alpha-channel data
must be getting setup correctly as it does work, I guess there is some
conflict (just on the xp system). help or thoughts on this would be really
appreciated as I'm quite new to directx and all of its technicalities...

... still churning away at it now... I appreciate any help =) - if you could
please check out the code example at the link above - as it woudl give you
some incite as to how I'm doing things (I used the code as a template for my
work)

Quote:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> clicking on any article will open the TOC, and from there you can see all
of
> them.

> what does the caps viewer show for surface/texture formats? are texture
> formats with alpha available? are you enumerating properly?

> --
> Phil Taylor
> PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers, and a
> few more bits and bobs.
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
rights.

> > Thanks for getting back to me, the Xp system has a S3 Graphics TwisterK
HP
> > "display adapter".

> > I should point out that the alphablending does indeed work, its just
that
> > alpha-channelling doesnt, hence the colorkey information (say for
example
> is
> > set to black) just doesn t work, no d3d7 graphics seem to show up
> > alpha-channelled - they just render solid =(

> > I havent used/navigated the MSDN archieves before, is there a spefic
> address
> > to where I might find the D3D7 examples you mentioned?

> > Again any help is appreciated.

> > > yes D3D7 on XP can alpha-blend.

> > > what card/driver?

> > > I have a series on alpha-blending in my MSDN column, and the
> accompanying
> > > samples use the D3D7 interfaces.

> > > download them and test.

> > > do they work?

> > > --
> > > Phil Taylor
> > > PM : DirectX SDK, Managed DirectX, Windows XP Inbox 3D screensavers,
and
> > > few more bits and bobs.
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > rights.

> > > direct3d
> > > blending,
> 2D

> > > acceleration,
> > > above

> example
> > "sprites"
> they
> > on.

> there
XP
> help,

> > > ---

> ---

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:54:58 GMT

1. Win 95 "Winmm.dll" problem

2. Problem With "window.showmodaldialog("")"

3. DirectX7 - D3D texture keying

4. directx7 d3d

5. Acc97: Problems using "Command" variable

6. Problem Using "application.filesearch "

7. Problem using "timestamp" for concurrency control

8. I have problem using function "Shell"

9. VB 6 problem using "vbCrLf"

10. problems using "AppActivate"

11. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

12. Problem with using "CDONTS.NewMail" object