Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?
Author Message
 Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?

Please, does somebody know how and if it is faster then using GDI?

Thanks,

Danilo A. Mendes

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 05:55:23 GMT
 Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?
Yes desktop has a hDC which can be used with ddraw APIs. I've just tried it
yesterday so I'm sure. I tried both rendering a video on desktop and simply
drawing some text on it. What do you want to do with desktop ?

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:03:06 GMT
 Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?
Hello Catscratch!

I would like to draw some text to the desktop area and clear it after a
second or two. How can I create a surface to draw this text, please?

Danilo A. Mendes

Quote:
> Yes desktop has a hDC which can be used with ddraw APIs. I've just tried
it
> yesterday so I'm sure. I tried both rendering a video on desktop and
simply
> drawing some text on it. What do you want to do with desktop ?

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:17:07 GMT
 Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?
You want to draw text to a fullscreen application or on the Windows Desktop?

FullScreen App:
Set DD = DX.DirectDrawCreate("")
'Set your display mode
Dim P as DDSURFACEDESC2
With P
    .lFlags = DDSD_CAPS
    .ddsCaps.lCaps = DDSDCAPS_PRIMARY
    'Other Flags if needed
End With
Set Primary = DD.CreateSurface(P)
Do
    'Main Loop
    Primary.DrawText 12, 12, "Hello", False
    Doevents
Loop

Quote:
> Hello Catscratch!

> I would like to draw some text to the desktop area and clear it after a
> second or two. How can I create a surface to draw this text, please?

> Danilo A. Mendes

> > Yes desktop has a hDC which can be used with ddraw APIs. I've just tried
> it
> > yesterday so I'm sure. I tried both rendering a video on desktop and
> simply
> > drawing some text on it. What do you want to do with desktop ?

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:11:36 GMT
 Is it possible to use DDraw to write to the desktop window?
I want to write to the desktop window.
Thanks,

Danilo A. Mendes

Quote:
> You want to draw text to a fullscreen application or on the Windows
Desktop?

> FullScreen App:
> Set DD = DX.DirectDrawCreate("")
> 'Set your display mode
> Dim P as DDSURFACEDESC2
> With P
>     .lFlags = DDSD_CAPS
>     .ddsCaps.lCaps = DDSDCAPS_PRIMARY
>     'Other Flags if needed
> End With
> Set Primary = DD.CreateSurface(P)
> Do
>     'Main Loop
>     Primary.DrawText 12, 12, "Hello", False
>     Doevents
> Loop

> > Hello Catscratch!

> > I would like to draw some text to the desktop area and clear it after a
> > second or two. How can I create a surface to draw this text, please?

> > Danilo A. Mendes

> > > Yes desktop has a hDC which can be used with ddraw APIs. I've just
tried
> > it
> > > yesterday so I'm sure. I tried both rendering a video on desktop and
> > simply
> > > drawing some text on it. What do you want to do with desktop ?

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:46:20 GMT

1. Possible to write Windows NT Service in VB4?

2. Writing a VBX: Transparent window possible?

3. Displaying a Window in FullScreen Mode DDraw

4. Resizing Windows Desktop using shell command

5. Setting up a Windows desktop using VB

6. Showing the Desktop Window using code

7. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

8. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

9. Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop

10. I am trying to extract a program path from desktop icon

11. I am trying to extract a program path from desktop icon

12. I am trying to extract a program path from a desktop icon