reference to DirectX8.1
Author Message
 reference to DirectX8.1

I just installed VB.net and DX 8.1 on Win2000.  I've added
a reference to dx8 in the project, and it shows up in the
vb reference window as DxVDLibA.  The vb properties window
shows it as Interop.DxVBLibA.  However, as I add code to
the project, the DirectX objects are not being recognized
as valid types.  I'm new to both VB and DX, so maybe I'm
missing something obvious...  Thanks.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:43:23 GMT
 reference to DirectX8.1
The Interop.DxVBLibA is expected, since you have to call the COM versions
of the DirectX routines.

Try adding this statement at the start of your program.

Imports DxVBLibA

without it, you'll have to prefix all of your objects with DxVBLibA.

Note that this is just the start of the headaches you'll have trying to use
DirectX with VB.NET. If you can wait until later this year, Microsoft will
release DirectX 9, which will have a managed interface. You'll find its
worth the wait.

       .........Wayne

"Recycling electrons into words since 1996."
Visit www.JustPC.com for details about my Visual Basic books, including
my newest: Windows Game Programming With Visual Basic and DirectX,
and the ASP.NET Database Programming Bible. Subscribe to the JustPC
Developer's Journal - a free email newsletter for Visual Basic programmers

Quote:
> I just installed VB.net and DX 8.1 on Win2000.  I've added
> a reference to dx8 in the project, and it shows up in the
> vb reference window as DxVDLibA.  The vb properties window
> shows it as Interop.DxVBLibA.  However, as I add code to
> the project, the DirectX objects are not being recognized
> as valid types.  I'm new to both VB and DX, so maybe I'm
> missing something obvious...  Thanks.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:57:01 GMT
 reference to DirectX8.1

Quote:

Hello,

The name of the .dll is Interop.DxVBLibA, but the
namespace (like the typelibrary name under VB5/6) is
DxVBLibA, as you noticed. At the top of your VB.NET form
or module that you would like to use DirectX, add the
following line:

Imports DxVBLibA

This should allow you to use the objects defined in the
typelibrary.

Jayme C. Edwards
Web Architect, FactoryTalk Portal Group
Rockwell Software
Microsoft MVP for Microsoft.NET Technologies

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:19:53 GMT

1. .Net and DirectX8

2. Need help on Mouse Interface (DirectX8)

3. MD2 Model Format for Directx8

4. DirectX8.1

5. Question about DirectX8.1b

6. Meshes and directX8

7. DirectX8.1 errors - DXDIAG

8. DirectX8 sample code in VB

9. DirectX7 -> DirectX8

10. copying data from a DirectX8 surface to a DirectX 7 surface

11. Timer in DirectX8 ??

12. 24 bits depth is not possible under DirectX8?