Standard 3D format
Author Message
 Standard 3D format

Hi all,
I am currently developping a "viewer" application. It should allow clients
to view differents file formats of 2D and 3D models.  Is there any standard
3D format I can convert these files to?  I was thinking about vrml but I am
still not quite sure about it.
Thanks a lot,
Ben

Sat, 15 May 2004 06:16:54 GMT
 Standard 3D format
Well .3ds is popular but I would not say there was really a standard as such

Quote:

> Hi all,
> I am currently developping a "viewer" application. It should allow clients
> to view differents file formats of 2D and 3D models.  Is there any
standard
> 3D format I can convert these files to?  I was thinking about VRML but I
am
> still not quite sure about it.
> Thanks a lot,
> Ben

Sat, 15 May 2004 06:54:20 GMT
 Standard 3D format
[emailed, posted, and newsgroup list significantly trimmed]
[I do not read any of the newsgroups that this message will
appear on]

Quote:

> I am currently developping a "viewer" application. It should allow clients
> to view differents file formats of 2D and 3D models.  Is there any standard
> 3D format I can convert these files to?  I was thinking about VRML but I am
> still not quite sure about it.

VRML would be good, DXF is up there, and 3DS is used by a lot of
applications even though it isn't really very flexible and has a
lot of limitations.  Since there are a lot of DirectX newsgroups
in the list, I think there's a "native" format for that, too.

Next time try posting to appropriate newsgroups, and check out
http://www.wotsit.org/, specifically the "3d Graphics Files"
section.

-tom!

--

PlayStation2/3D Studio geek
                Change is inevitable.  Progress is not.

Sun, 16 May 2004 05:16:44 GMT
 Standard 3D format
You should visit www.wotsit.org

Some popular ones are 3ds, ase, lwo, obj.

Why crosspost to so many newsgroups? Besides being off topic in all of them.

V-man

Quote:
>Well .3ds is popular but I would not say there was really a standard as
such

>> Hi all,
>> I am currently developping a "viewer" application. It should allow
clients
>> to view differents file formats of 2D and 3D models.  Is there any
>standard
>> 3D format I can convert these files to?  I was thinking about VRML but I
>am
>> still not quite sure about it.
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Ben

Sun, 16 May 2004 06:55:25 GMT
 Standard 3D format
Not all formas was complete. In fact, MAX is more complete that .3DS

Quote:
> [emailed, posted, and newsgroup list significantly trimmed]
> [I do not read any of the newsgroups that this message will
> appear on]

> > I am currently developping a "viewer" application. It should allow
clients
> > to view differents file formats of 2D and 3D models.  Is there any
standard
> > 3D format I can convert these files to?  I was thinking about VRML but I
am
> > still not quite sure about it.

> VRML would be good, DXF is up there, and 3DS is used by a lot of
> applications even though it isn't really very flexible and has a
> lot of limitations.  Since there are a lot of DirectX newsgroups
> in the list, I think there's a "native" format for that, too.

> Next time try posting to appropriate newsgroups, and check out
> http://www.wotsit.org/, specifically the "3d Graphics Files"
> section.

> -tom!

> --

> PlayStation2/3D Studio geek
>                 Change is inevitable.  Progress is not.

Sun, 16 May 2004 23:43:01 GMT

1. .x files for 3d simulation, format of choice ?

2. need 3D modelet that outputs in .X format

3. standard function to format date in javascript?

4. How to make clock standard format?

5. HELP on standard error messages format !

6. Standard format

7. want file format and standard

8. 3d-demo program in 320x200 256 colour mode - 3d.zip [1/1]

9. ANNOUNCE: Adorn 3D - Create 3D user interfaces

10. Problem with 3D-fonts in 3D-panels

11. 3d graph more precisely a 3D curve plotting

12. 3D Camera rotation around any object in 3D space