3D Telescope Mirror in VB, where to start?
Author Message
 3D Telescope Mirror in VB, where to start?

Greetings All,

As a hobby, I Grind, Polish, and Figure Telescope mirrors. My Hobby now includes
teaching others to make their own Telescope mirrors as well.

The trickiest part of making a telescope mirror is turning the spherical surface
into a Parabolic surface, and we do this thru a testing method called a Foucault
test, which results in a 2d graph of our mirror's surface.  A typical test
result would look like this image:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

The above graph is what brings me here.  Most novice mirror makers have no idea
what that graph is trying to tell them, as it is only a 2d representation of
half their mirror.

IF I could write an Application to turn this 2d graph into a 3d graph, I believe
it would help the novice understand what needs to be done to the mirror to make
it as accurate as possible.

Having written a few 2d Vb apps, I figured I could learn to do 3d :) Well, I'm a
little lost now.

In an effort to learn DirectX, I went thru the following Tutorial here:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

At the end, I was a little confused but figured I could use the
"CreateLitVertex" call to create my 3d Mirror, as you can guess that didn't go
so well :)

So, I ask of this group:

What's the best route to take to create this app? DirectX 7 or 8?, Create the
Mesh In my Code, or use a 3D app to create a generic disk, then us VB to deform
it into the surface profile?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (My telescope Building Documentary)

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:27:08 GMT

1. Killing an App started by IE in turn started by VB App from VB

2. Mirror Image printing in VB

3. mirror site for MS KB of VB

4. VB Knowledge Base files - mirror?

5. VB 'Mirror' Program

6. Office 2000 setup starts when starting VB

7. 3d-demo program in 320x200 256 colour mode - 3d.zip [1/1]

8. ANNOUNCE: Adorn 3D - Create 3D user interfaces

9. starting vb app when another programme starts

10. Problem with 3D-fonts in 3D-panels

11. 3d graph more precisely a 3D curve plotting

12. 3D Camera rotation around any object in 3D space