Initialization problem 
Author Message
 Initialization problem

We are adding a form to an existing program that shows a 3D surface plot of
some data.  The plot is working fine but we're having a problem when we
first display the plotting form.

The name of the plotting form is "SP"

To display the form we press a button on the main form that calls the form:
SP.Show , Me
The plotting form does appear but the plot is not on it.  We then press the
button again and the plot appears.

Another problem (which may be related) is that the plot form flashes up just
before our main form when we execute the program.

I have a lot of other forms in the program that are popped up on command and
none of the other forms display this behavior.

Also, again perhaps related, the code in my main forms Unload event does not
get executed once the plot form has been loaded.

We're using Visual Basic 6 with SP 5, DirectX 8.1, Windows XP Pro.  The
development machines have two monitors. The main adaptor is an ATI Fire GL2
and the secondary adaptor is a 3DLabs Oxygen VX1.

The problem occurs no matter which monitor the program is run on.

Both adaptors are set at 1024 x 768 with 32bit color depth.

CPU is Intel XEON 1.7 Ghz on one machine and the same CPU running at 2 Ghz
on the other.

Memory is 1 Gig in one machine and 3 Gig in the other (we have 2 development
machines)

Thanks in advance for any help

John Click



Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:39:49 GMT  
 Initialization problem
We've solved the two minor problems:
The ghost form that appears before the main form comes up was due to a call
to the SP form from a function that was called during the main forms load
event.
The non-execution of the main forms unload event was due to a debugging End
statement in the SP form that wasn't removed.

This leaves just the problem where the surface chart doesn't appear on the
SP form unless the button that calls SP.Show is pressed twice.

Anyone run into this behaviour in the past?

Thanks again,

J


Quote:
> We are adding a form to an existing program that shows a 3D surface plot
of
> some data.  The plot is working fine but we're having a problem when we
> first display the plotting form.

> The name of the plotting form is "SP"

> To display the form we press a button on the main form that calls the
form:
> SP.Show , Me
> The plotting form does appear but the plot is not on it.  We then press
the
> button again and the plot appears.

> Another problem (which may be related) is that the plot form flashes up
just
> before our main form when we execute the program.

> I have a lot of other forms in the program that are popped up on command
and
> none of the other forms display this behavior.

> Also, again perhaps related, the code in my main forms Unload event does
not
> get executed once the plot form has been loaded.

> We're using Visual Basic 6 with SP 5, DirectX 8.1, Windows XP Pro.  The
> development machines have two monitors. The main adaptor is an ATI Fire
GL2
> and the secondary adaptor is a 3DLabs Oxygen VX1.

> The problem occurs no matter which monitor the program is run on.

> Both adaptors are set at 1024 x 768 with 32bit color depth.

> CPU is Intel XEON 1.7 Ghz on one machine and the same CPU running at 2 Ghz
> on the other.

> Memory is 1 Gig in one machine and 3 Gig in the other (we have 2
development
> machines)

> Thanks in advance for any help

> John Click




Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:58:27 GMT  
 Initialization problem
Not really seen this but IMO, make sure the form is visible when you
initialize Direct3D (for example you could add a Show call in the Load
event). My personal preference is *not* to initialize D3D in the Form_Load
event but later from the module that shows the form...

Patrice



Quote:
> We've solved the two minor problems:
> The ghost form that appears before the main form comes up was due to a
call
> to the SP form from a function that was called during the main forms load
> event.
> The non-execution of the main forms unload event was due to a debugging
End
> statement in the SP form that wasn't removed.

> This leaves just the problem where the surface chart doesn't appear on the
> SP form unless the button that calls SP.Show is pressed twice.

> Anyone run into this behaviour in the past?

> Thanks again,

> J

[cut]


Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:48:45 GMT  
 Initialization problem
Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out that this is one of the things we've
already tried.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

J


Quote:
> Not really seen this but IMO, make sure the form is visible when you
> initialize Direct3D (for example you could add a Show call in the Load
> event). My personal preference is *not* to initialize D3D in the Form_Load
> event but later from the module that shows the form...

> Patrice



> > We've solved the two minor problems:
> > The ghost form that appears before the main form comes up was due to a
> call
> > to the SP form from a function that was called during the main forms
load
> > event.
> > The non-execution of the main forms unload event was due to a debugging
> End
> > statement in the SP form that wasn't removed.

> > This leaves just the problem where the surface chart doesn't appear on
the
> > SP form unless the button that calls SP.Show is pressed twice.

> > Anyone run into this behaviour in the past?

> > Thanks again,

> > J

> [cut]



Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:43:28 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. initialization problem?

2. VBAJET32.DLL INITIALIZATION PROBLEM

3. DLL Initialization Problem

4. Big Array Initializations Problems

5. Basic matrix initialization problem...

6. MDI Child initialization problem (Runtime Error 6 Overflow)

7. Initialization Code

8. Jet VBA File (VBAJet.dll VBAJet32.dll) Initialization failure

9. Outlook Express Initialization

10. Help: Disable ActiveX Initialization Warning

11. Help: Disable ActiveX Initialization Warning

12. Compatability: Mac and Windows: Registry/application initialization file

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software