Two sound cards in one system
Author Message
 Two sound cards in one system

Hi Phil,

I am trying to implement a product based on a USB audio chip.  For it
to work, it must:

1. be transparent to the user (not a sound card replacement)
2. record A/D data and process it before writing to disk

The problems I have are:

1. on install, the windows makes the my product the primary audio
device

How do I reconfigure the default audio device(s) to any pre-existing
audio card to prevent user confusion?  Can I use my audio device to
record even if it is not the primary recording device ?

2. removing the device and reinserting it causes recognition problems
in windows until reboot

This may not be a user problem since they will likely leave it
attached.  For development, somewhat painful.

3. the HID inputs are "grabbed" by windows and don't allow me to use
them for my purposes despite what the USB silicon manufacturer claims.
One of them is the "mute" input which my hardware uses to signal the
user application on the PC.

Can I tell windows to not mute all speakers and just pass the
information to the user app ?  The chip is the Ti PCM2900.

I am trying to "privatize" the USB audio chip to the point
where the user is unaware they have two sound cards.  Do you think
this will work?  I have also looked for the full duplex audio sample
you mentioned in the news groups but can't find it.  Is it under a
different name in the SDK?

Regards,

Paul

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:14:15 GMT

1. Sound Card <-> Sound Card Via Data

2. Playing a sound when two cards match...

3. Two sound cards?

4. Open Two Database with Two System.Mda and Two different User Names and Password

5. sound via sound card?

6. QBasic Sound Programs using Sound Blaster and Adlib Cards Here

7. Get sound from Sound Card

8. Caputure sound from microphone ( connected with sound card )in VB6

9. Capturing sound info from sound card without a WAV file

10. Directing Sound to modem or sound card

11. Making sound through sound card

12. Urgent, How to: Play sound using sound card?