Low FPS count in D3D8
Author Message
 Low FPS count in D3D8

Hi, i'm working on a small D3D app which allows the camera to move inside a
DOOM-like maze. I'm using the HAL D3D Device (on a GeForce2 MX) in
1024x768x32bpp mode. I draw the walls using indexes vertices (an index
buffer and a vertex buffer). However, I can only get 49-50 FPS. Even if I
completely remove the rendering code and just use Clear, BeginScene,
EndScene and Present, the FPS counter is still stuck in 49-50 FPS.
My vertex buffer is created using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and D3DPOOL_MANAGED
flags, my index buffer using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
flags, and my textures are loaded from bitmap files using the
CreateTextureFromFile function. I tried to change some of these flags, but i
still get the same FPS count.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Spyros

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:28:53 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
Is your default screen refresh rate 50 Hz ?

Patrice

Quote:
> Hi, i'm working on a small D3D app which allows the camera to move inside
> DOOM-like maze. I'm using the HAL D3D Device (on a GeForce2 MX) in
> 1024x768x32bpp mode. I draw the walls using indexes vertices (an index
> buffer and a vertex buffer). However, I can only get 49-50 FPS. Even if I
> completely remove the rendering code and just use Clear, BeginScene,
> EndScene and Present, the FPS counter is still stuck in 49-50 FPS.
> My vertex buffer is created using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and
D3DPOOL_MANAGED
> flags, my index buffer using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
> flags, and my textures are loaded from bitmap files using the
> CreateTextureFromFile function. I tried to change some of these flags, but
> still get the same FPS count.
> Any suggestions?

> Thanks in advance,
> Spyros

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:01:21 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
Nope, my desktop uses a 85 Hz refresh rate, as well as my d3d app...

Spyros

Quote:
> Is your default screen refresh rate 50 Hz ?

> Patrice

> > Hi, i'm working on a small D3D app which allows the camera to move
inside
> > DOOM-like maze. I'm using the HAL D3D Device (on a GeForce2 MX) in
> > 1024x768x32bpp mode. I draw the walls using indexes vertices (an index
> > buffer and a vertex buffer). However, I can only get 49-50 FPS. Even if
> > completely remove the rendering code and just use Clear, BeginScene,
> > EndScene and Present, the FPS counter is still stuck in 49-50 FPS.
> > My vertex buffer is created using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and
> D3DPOOL_MANAGED
> > flags, my index buffer using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
> > flags, and my textures are loaded from bitmap files using the
> > CreateTextureFromFile function. I tried to change some of these flags,
but
> > still get the same FPS count.
> > Any suggestions?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Spyros

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:38:40 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
What SwapEffect are you using ? Could it be a problem in your FPS
calculation code ?

Patrice

Quote:
> Nope, my desktop uses a 85 Hz refresh rate, as well as my d3d app...

> Spyros

> > Is your default screen refresh rate 50 Hz ?

> > Patrice

> > > Hi, i'm working on a small D3D app which allows the camera to move
> inside
> > > DOOM-like maze. I'm using the HAL D3D Device (on a GeForce2 MX) in
> > > 1024x768x32bpp mode. I draw the walls using indexes vertices (an index
> > > buffer and a vertex buffer). However, I can only get 49-50 FPS. Even
if
> > > completely remove the rendering code and just use Clear, BeginScene,
> > > EndScene and Present, the FPS counter is still stuck in 49-50 FPS.
> > > My vertex buffer is created using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and
> > D3DPOOL_MANAGED
> > > flags, my index buffer using the D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY and
D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
> > > flags, and my textures are loaded from bitmap files using the
> > > CreateTextureFromFile function. I tried to change some of these flags,
> but
> > > still get the same FPS count.
> > > Any suggestions?

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Spyros

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:51:21 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
I'm using D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD. No, the FPS code is ok, i've taken it from
a sample DX7 application contained in the DX7 SDK. I've used it in other
applications, too, and it works fine.
Any other ideas?

Spyros

Quote:
> What SwapEffect are you using ? Could it be a problem in your FPS
> calculation code ?

> Patrice

> > Nope, my desktop uses a 85 Hz refresh rate, as well as my d3d app...

> > Spyros

> > > Is your default screen refresh rate 50 Hz ?

> > > Patrice

> > inside
> if
> > > D3DPOOL_MANAGED
> D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
> > but

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:29:54 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
No particular idea. Looks really strange.

Still same value with only Present & Clear ? If not using full screen, does
it change when you change the size of the window. Debug runtime enabled ?

You may want to post some code in case someone would see something that you
missed....

Patrice

Quote:
> I'm using D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD. No, the FPS code is ok, i've taken it
from
> a sample DX7 application contained in the DX7 SDK. I've used it in other
> applications, too, and it works fine.
> Any other ideas?

> Spyros

[cut]

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:46:10 GMT
 Low FPS count in D3D8
OK, i fixed it, it was an error in a small piece of code left unchanged for
weeks... thanks for your help!!

Spyros

Quote:
> No particular idea. Looks really strange.

> Still same value with only Present & Clear ? If not using full screen,
does
> it change when you change the size of the window. Debug runtime enabled ?

> You may want to post some code in case someone would see something that
you
> missed....

> Patrice

> > I'm using D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD. No, the FPS code is ok, i've taken it
> from
> > a sample DX7 application contained in the DX7 SDK. I've used it in other
> > applications, too, and it works fine.
> > Any other ideas?

> > Spyros

> [cut]

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:18:52 GMT

1. Animation with D3D8 in VB6

2. FPS

3. Animation Timing / animate mesh no matter what fps are

4. Locking FPS

5. FPS DLL IO ISSUES

6. FPS Limiting

7. Capture 1 fps for fast motion video

8. A Different Count between ListParagraphs.Count and the sum of Lists(index).ListParagraphs.Count

9. ListView Column Count / Subitem Count?

10. Listbox's lower right corner positioned in form's lower right corner - HOW?

11. Loop for Euler's method - finding the lowest common denominator

12. uppercase and lower case problems