VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net) 
Author Message
 VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)

Hello!

I've been using VC6 Pro for a while now, probably one to two years, and I've
really come to like it. So far I have stayed away from MFC (don't ask why,
I'm an odd person), but lately I've been hearing more and more about VS.net.
The only part of VS.net that I think would be of any use to me is VC7.

However, I haven't quite managed to grasp what exactly has changed from VC6
to VC7. I currently don't think I will be using the .net framework (whatever
that really is). If that was so; would there be any good reason for me to
upgrade to .net? I've heard people say that the C++ compiler in .net is much
better than the one in VC6, and that of course sounds tempting, but I'm
currently a student, so I'd really like to know if upgrading would be worth
it?

(Darn Norwegian webshops, they seem to only offer the entire VS.net thing,
not VC7/.net as a separate product)

-- Lasse Hovlandsdal



Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:02:40 GMT  
 VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)

Quote:

> [...]
> The only part of VS.net that I think would be of any use to me is VC7.

> [...] I've heard people say that the C++ compiler in .net is much
> better than the one in VC6, and that of course sounds tempting, but I'm
> currently a student, so I'd really like to know if upgrading would be worth
> it?

  The VC7 is better than VC6 was, but then -- it isn't
  that big of a deal to be better than that. What's
  been named VC7.1 so far is constantly claimed to be
  been substantial better C++ compiler. If you want
  to compile std C++, VC7 maybe isn't worth a student's
  money. (Rather spend it on www.comeaucomputing.com.
  That is the leader of the pack.)

Quote:
> (Darn Norwegian webshops, they seem to only offer the entire VS.net thing,
> not VC7/.net as a separate product)

  I think this is a Redmond thing. No need to blame
  your nation for it. ;^>
  Let's hope that this changes, too.

Quote:
> -- Lasse Hovlandsdal

  Schobi

--

I'm HSchober at gmx dot de



Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:44:07 GMT  
 VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)
I haven't used VC7 myself but from what you say, and given that you're a
student, you may as well stick wiith VC6 for now.

Kevin

Quote:
> Hello!

> I've been using VC6 Pro for a while now, probably one to two years, and
I've
> really come to like it. So far I have stayed away from MFC (don't ask why,
> I'm an odd person), but lately I've been hearing more and more about
VS.net.
> The only part of VS.net that I think would be of any use to me is VC7.

> However, I haven't quite managed to grasp what exactly has changed from
VC6
> to VC7. I currently don't think I will be using the .net framework
(whatever
> that really is). If that was so; would there be any good reason for me to
> upgrade to .net? I've heard people say that the C++ compiler in .net is
much
> better than the one in VC6, and that of course sounds tempting, but I'm
> currently a student, so I'd really like to know if upgrading would be
worth
> it?

> (Darn Norwegian webshops, they seem to only offer the entire VS.net thing,
> not VC7/.net as a separate product)

> -- Lasse Hovlandsdal



Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:18:49 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

3. iostream vs iostream.h -- VC++5 vs VC++6 problem

4. vc#.net standard v. vs.net professional

5. MFC in VC 6 vs MFC in VC 7 (.NET)

6. VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

7. Installing VS.Net and VS 6.0 side by side

8. Visual C# Standard vs VS.NET Pro

9. Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

10. New Install of VS.NET brings up IE vs App on debug

11. VS 6.0 -> VS .NET migration issues

12. c# vs VS .net

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software