Speed difference in Managed and Unmanaged code
Author Message
 Speed difference in Managed and Unmanaged code

Hi
I am quite new to the .Net environment. One thing that I see is that managed
code in VC++ is always converted into MSIL which is converted at runtime
into processor native code. (Very similar to Java).
This additional layer of translation at runtime should affect the
performance adversely ( the curse that has always haunted Java code)
Can anybody refer any articles where the speed difference in .Net (managed)
code and unmanaged code is discussed.
Regards,
Arif Aziz

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:46:06 GMT
 Speed difference in Managed and Unmanaged code
MSIL is Just-in-Time compiled into native x86 code the first time the method
is called, and not translated during execution at runtime. There is an
overhead for the first invocation, but not afterwards. There is a utility
that comes with the framework SDK called NGEN.exe that will do installation
time compile, so JIT is not necessary at runtime.

--
Anson Tsao
Visual C++ libraries team

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Quote:
> Hi
> I am quite new to the .Net environment. One thing that I see is that
managed
> code in VC++ is always converted into MSIL which is converted at runtime
> into processor native code. (Very similar to Java).
> This additional layer of translation at runtime should affect the
> performance adversely ( the curse that has always haunted Java code)
> Can anybody refer any articles where the speed difference in .Net
(managed)
> code and unmanaged code is discussed.
> Regards,
> Arif Aziz

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:31:05 GMT

1. Referencing data from unmanaged code to managed code in C++ Wrapper class

2. calling managed code from unmanaged code

3. Calling managed code from unmanaged Code

4. Problem with Visual Studio .NET (C++) - Maximise Speed (/O2) - Unmanaged Code

5. Debugging into managed c++ DLL that is being used by unmanaged code

6. Creating a .NET managed library to talk to existing unmanaged code

7. Managed c++ with unmanaged code Linking problem...

8. Fatal Error C1010 in Mixing Managed C++ and Unmanaged C++ Code

9. Unmanaged code in Managed

10. System.ExecutionEngineException - mixing managed/unmanaged code

11. Compiler bug when mixing managed and unmanaged code

12. passing from unmanaged to managed code