underscore
Author Message
 underscore

Hello !

I would like to know(detailed please) WHEN to use the underscore
prefixed function version and WHEN not use it.

Ex.:

_open (... ) OR open (...)   ???????

Tanks for your help.

Christian

Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:57:46 GMT
 underscore
_open, opens a file and is a C run-time function.

open shouldn't be used anymore simply because its the non-ANSI compliant
version of the same function. In fact, it shouldn't even build unless your
linking with oldnames.lib which I don't know if we ship anymore.

Of course, in MSDN, there are a few other open functions which you may be
referring to, but only the CRT function to open a file is named _open.

Walter

Quote:
> Hello !

> I would like to know(detailed please) WHEN to use the underscore
> prefixed function version and WHEN not use it.

> Ex.:

> _open (... ) OR open (...)   ???????

> Tanks for your help.

> Christian

Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:16:55 GMT

1. identifiers beginning with underscores?

2. replace space by underscore

3. What does the underscore mean/do?

4. underscores in cpp #defines

5. Underscore - should they or should they not?

6. CLS, naming, underscore, and readonly properties

7. Problems with functions beginning with underscore (_)

8. Usage of underscores as a prefix

9. Prefixing names with an underscore

10. Two underscores __ illegal ?

11. When is it ok to prefix names with an underscore

12. the role of underscores in C