COM Or .NET? 
Author Message
 COM Or .NET?

Hello,

I am new to .NET. Kindly tell me know if COM components can call methods in
.NET assemblies and visa versa.

If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select .NET or
COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

If I choose to buy .NET library exactly what differences a COM VC6
developer should expect when writing VC.Net code.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rafey.



Sat, 03 Sep 2005 12:27:15 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?

Quote:

>I am new to .NET. Kindly tell me know if COM components can call methods in
>.NET assemblies and visa versa.

>If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select .NET or
>COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

Quote:
"COM is like SMOKING:  If you have not started, you should not start
now, if you are already doing it, it is time to stop."

I'd say if you're targetting an audience who is already currently
using .NET (or will very soon), go with straight, native .NET
components - you're getting rid of another unnecessary layer, thus
making things easier and speedier.

Also, don't forget all the hassle and messy registration business with
COM components - none of that for .NET !

Marc

================================================================
Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!



Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:16:11 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET envronment. Now
I repeat my questions again:

Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
.NET assemblies and visa versa.

Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select .NET
or
COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

Q3) If I choose to buy .NET library exactly what differences a COM VC6
developer should expect when writing VC.NET code.

Regards,
Rafey.


Quote:

> >I am new to .NET. Kindly tell me know if COM components can call methods
in
> >.NET assemblies and visa versa.

> >If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select .NET
or
> >COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

> Quote:
> "COM is like SMOKING:  If you have not started, you should not start
> now, if you are already doing it, it is time to stop."

> I'd say if you're targetting an audience who is already currently
> using .NET (or will very soon), go with straight, native .NET
> components - you're getting rid of another unnecessary layer, thus
> making things easier and speedier.

> Also, don't forget all the hassle and messy registration business with
> COM components - none of that for .NET !

> Marc

> ================================================================
> Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!




Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:07:05 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?

Quote:

> My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET
> envronment. Now I repeat my questions again:

> Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
> .NET assemblies and visa versa.

Yes and Yes.

Quote:

> Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should
> select .NET or
> COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

COM.  Unless your client is prepared to go the .NET route, stick with COM.
At the very least, deploying a .NET library means deploying the 20Mb .NET
framework as well.

Quote:

> Q3) If I choose to buy .NET library exactly what differences a COM VC6
> developer should expect when writing VC.NET code.

That depends on the .NET code.  It's possible to write COM objects in .NET,
in which case a VC6 program would interact with them exactly as it would any
other COM object.  If, however, you have a .NET object that doesn't expose a
COM interface, then you're in for a bit more work.  You'd either have to
switch your VC6 projects to VC7, where you can use "Managed Extensions for
C++" to create a .NET/native hybrid application, or you could use VC7 to
create a COM wrapper around the .NET components and leave the balance of the
application in VC6.

Quote:

> Regards,
> Rafey.

-cd


Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:13:55 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
Many Thanks Carl,

Could you kindly give a short code example which shows steps to call .NET
Assembly from a COM object.

Many Thanks,
Rafey.



Quote:

> > My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET
> > envronment. Now I repeat my questions again:

> > Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
> > .NET assemblies and visa versa.

> Yes and Yes.

> > Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should
> > select .NET or
> > COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

> COM.  Unless your client is prepared to go the .NET route, stick with COM.
> At the very least, deploying a .NET library means deploying the 20Mb .NET
> framework as well.

> > Q3) If I choose to buy .NET library exactly what differences a COM VC6
> > developer should expect when writing VC.NET code.

> That depends on the .NET code.  It's possible to write COM objects in
.NET,
> in which case a VC6 program would interact with them exactly as it would
any
> other COM object.  If, however, you have a .NET object that doesn't expose
a
> COM interface, then you're in for a bit more work.  You'd either have to
> switch your VC6 projects to VC7, where you can use "Managed Extensions for
> C++" to create a .NET/native hybrid application, or you could use VC7 to
> create a COM wrapper around the .NET components and leave the balance of
the
> application in VC6.

> > Regards,
> > Rafey.

> -cd



Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:51:55 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
It can look just like calling any other COM class - you can simply expose
COM objects from your .NET code.  You create them with CoCreateInstance just
like any other COM object, call QueryInterface, AddRef, Release just like
any other COM object.

-cd

Quote:

> Many Thanks Carl,

> Could you kindly give a short code example which shows steps to call
> .NET Assembly from a COM object.

> Many Thanks,
> Rafey.




>>> My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET
>>> envronment. Now I repeat my questions again:

>>> Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
>>> .NET assemblies and visa versa.

>> Yes and Yes.

>>> Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should
>>> select .NET or
>>> COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

>> COM.  Unless your client is prepared to go the .NET route, stick
>> with COM. At the very least, deploying a .NET library means
>> deploying the 20Mb .NET framework as well.

>>> Q3) If I choose to buy .NET library exactly what differences a COM
>>> VC6 developer should expect when writing VC.NET code.

>> That depends on the .NET code.  It's possible to write COM objects
>> in .NET, in which case a VC6 program would interact with them
>> exactly as it would any other COM object.  If, however, you have a
>> .NET object that doesn't expose a COM interface, then you're in for
>> a bit more work.  You'd either have to switch your VC6 projects to
>> VC7, where you can use "Managed Extensions for C++" to create a
>> .NET/native hybrid application, or you could use VC7 to create a COM
>> wrapper around the .NET components and leave the balance of the
>> application in VC6.

>>> Regards,
>>> Rafey.

>> -cd



Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:27:16 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?

Quote:

>My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET envronment.
>Now I repeat my questions again:
>Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
>.NET assemblies and visa versa.

Yes, no problem really.

Quote:
>Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select .NET
>or COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

If your client(s) is/are not moving to .NET, what's the point in
purchasing .NET based components, really? The major reason I'd chose
.NET over COM *ANY DAY* is that you as a programmer would be a lot
more productive (and a lot faster in creating the apps) with C# and
VS.NET as compared to labouring in "Visual" C++ with COM.

But again: if the customer doesn't want to go to .NET, forget it....

Marc

================================================================
Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch



Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:53:17 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?


Quote:
> The major reason I'd chose .NET over COM *ANY DAY* is that you as a
> programmer would be a lot more productive (and a lot faster in creating
the
> apps) with C# and VS.NET as compared to labouring in "Visual" C++ with
> COM.

Speak for yourself.

Jeff



Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:21:17 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?

Quote:
>Could you kindly give a short code example which shows steps to call .NET
>Assembly from a COM object.

The following are a few links that will get you started.  I believe
tlbexp.exe is the tool that you'll want to use.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu...
l/cpconassemblytotypelibraryconversionsummary.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpto...
l/cpgrftypelibraryimportertlbimpexe.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpto...
l/cpgrftypelibraryexportertlbexpexe.asp

thx,
Ben



Mon, 05 Sep 2005 03:43:06 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
Actually its not only about client or this particular product that we will
use these .NET or COM EasyEmail components. But we are also targeting future
products because our future products may need Emailing capabilities.

Regards,
Rafey.


Quote:

> >My clinet is not moving to .NET. He is happy with "non" .NET envronment.
> >Now I repeat my questions again:
> >Q1) Tell me know if COM components can call methods in
> >.NET assemblies and visa versa.

> Yes, no problem really.

> >Q2) If I have to buy a third party libraries, which one I should select
.NET
> >or COM. I only have COM experience and very new to .NET.

> If your client(s) is/are not moving to .NET, what's the point in
> purchasing .NET based components, really? The major reason I'd chose
> .NET over COM *ANY DAY* is that you as a programmer would be a lot
> more productive (and a lot faster in creating the apps) with C# and
> VS.NET as compared to labouring in "Visual" C++ with COM.

> But again: if the customer doesn't want to go to .NET, forget it....

> Marc

> ================================================================
> Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
> Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch



Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:37:48 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
Many Thanks Ben for these useful links.

Regards,
Rafey.


Quote:
> >Could you kindly give a short code example which shows steps to call .NET
> >Assembly from a COM object.

> The following are a few links that will get you started.  I believe
> tlbexp.exe is the tool that you'll want to use.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu...
Quote:
> l/cpconassemblytotypelibraryconversionsummary.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpto...
Quote:
> l/cpgrftypelibraryimportertlbimpexe.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpto...
Quote:
> l/cpgrftypelibraryexportertlbexpexe.asp

> thx,
> Ben



Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:41:45 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?


[del]

Quote:
> The major reason I'd chose .NET over COM *ANY DAY* is that you as a
> > programmer would be a lot more productive (and a lot faster in creating
> the
> > apps) with C# and VS.NET as compared to labouring in "Visual" C++ with
> > COM.

> Speak for yourself.

And for me too.  And for tens of thousands other developers around the globe
too.


Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:39:55 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
If .NET is productive, kindly mention Top 10 hessales which it frees from
over normal C++/COM development.No #import, No CoInitialize(), No
CoUninitialize()...etc. Please mention.

Regards,
Rafey.


Quote:



> [del]
> > The major reason I'd chose .NET over COM *ANY DAY* is that you as a
> > > programmer would be a lot more productive (and a lot faster in
creating
> > the
> > > apps) with C# and VS.NET as compared to labouring in "Visual" C++ with
> > > COM.

> > Speak for yourself.

> And for me too.  And for tens of thousands other developers around the
globe
> too.



Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:40:38 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?

Quote:

>If .NET is productive, kindly mention Top 10 hessales which it frees from
>over normal C++/COM development.No #import, No CoInitialize(), No
>CoUninitialize()...etc. Please mention.

* No more pointer fiddling
* Actual *VISUAL* form designer that deserves that name
* no more COM registration hassles, version collisions and so forth

Marc
================================================================
Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch



Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:34:57 GMT  
 COM Or .NET?
That's great to have XCopy deployment in .NET and still very true that
grabage collection is the part of CLR but what about those Server controls
which are refresing .aspx pages so many times. I believe you must have felt
the "weight" (i.e. foot print) of ADO.NET DataSet object.

21MB CLR installation on every client's machine is the "basic" requirement.
Much is not required to say about the caotic syntax of VB.NET.

I am still doubleful about performance hit sue to MISL and JIT. MS has
accepted that HTTP is not the right protocol for SOAP (the essence of .NET)
and a new protocol should be there.

Please do not take these comments as I am letting down, reviewing  .NET. We
should make sure that just like COMponent technologies which MS pushed so
much and it was not much more than a middle tier fancy work. So similarly we
should be skeptical about .NET.

Regards,
Rafey


Quote:

> >If .NET is productive, kindly mention Top 10 hessales which it frees from
> >over normal C++/COM development.No #import, No CoInitialize(), No
> >CoUninitialize()...etc. Please mention.

> * No more pointer fiddling
> * Actual *VISUAL* form designer that deserves that name
> * no more COM registration hassles, version collisions and so forth

> Marc
> ================================================================
> Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
> Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch



Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:19:35 GMT  
 
 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. com and com+ in .net

2. .NET: COM vs NET

3. com and com+ in .net

4. QDotNet.com - new .NET resource launched

5. com+ and .net

6. Observation of idiosyncrasy when using Interfaces with both COM and .NET

7. COM and .NET Which one in better

8. COM and .NET

9. migration from COM to .NET

10. Relationship between COM and .NET?

11. Relationship between COM and .NET?

12. Alternative to MFC and ATL/COM in .NET

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software