VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location
Author Message
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location

If I try to step into the MFC source while debugging, the de{*filter*}
can't find the MFC source - it defaults to a path:

"f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\include\afxwin2.inl"

I don't recall this problem with VC6 - will this be remedied by
release?

Dave Lowndes
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:02:17 GMT
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location
Review your settings under Tools-Options-Projects-VC Directories. There is a
drop down there for "Source Files"

This should contain a list of directories that look like this.

$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\mfc
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\atl
$(VCInstallDir)crt\src

This only applies to RC1 and beyond (not Beta2).  If you ever had Beta2 on
your machine, you might want to delete the file "VCComponents.dat" which is
located in your profiles directory. If this file is not there when Devenv
starts, we will repopulate the tools-options directories with the defaults
from Setup. If you add custom directories, we will write this file out.

Let me know if this clears things up

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

reserved

Quote:
> If I try to step into the MFC source while debugging, the de{*filter*}
> can't find the MFC source - it defaults to a path:

> "f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\include\afxwin2.inl"

> I don't recall this problem with VC6 - will this be remedied by
> release?

> Dave Lowndes
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:10:48 GMT
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location

Quote:
>Review your settings under Tools-Options-Projects-VC Directories. There is a
>drop down there for "Source Files"

>This should contain a list of directories that look like this.

>$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\mfc
>$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\atl
>$(VCInstallDir)crt\src

Yes, I have those.

Quote:
>If you ever had Beta2 on
>your machine, you might want to delete the file "VCComponents.dat" which is
>located in your profiles directory.

I have both a "VCComponents.dat" and a "VC Components.dat". The latter
has fixed drive paths (the drive where I actually installed VS), while
the former has the $(VCInstallDir) paths.

Quote:
> If this file is not there when Devenv
>starts, we will repopulate the tools-options directories with the defaults
>from Setup. If you add custom directories, we will write this file out.

>Let me know if this clears things up

I've deleted that file (VCComponents.dat), but the problem persists. I
get this error when I try to step into the MFC source:

---------------------------
Find Source: viewedit.cpp
---------------------------
f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\viewedit.cpp
Path does not exist.
Please verify the correct path was given.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

VS is actually installed on my H: drive

The file has been re-created when I restarted VS.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:17:34 GMT
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location
Ok, lets look at what we think the macro $(VCInstallDir) evaluates out to.

Open a VC++ Project (any type)
Open the project property pages (Right click on the project in solution
explorer).
Select the property for "Output Directory".
Select the drop down for the property, and choose edit.
A string editing dialog should pop up.
Click on the "Macros" button
Look in the list for $(VCInstallDir)

Does it have the correct value for the location where you installed VC?

The main place where the de{*filter*} will look to see where matching sources
file are located can be found off the Solution Properties pages. If you do a
right click on the solution node and right click and select properties. The
Debug Source File list should show the MFC folders.  If it doesn't, we might
have a bug here, can you tell what the directory name looks like for where
you installed VC7?

Which OS are you running out of curiosity?

Thanks

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

reserved

Quote:
> >Review your settings under Tools-Options-Projects-VC Directories. There
is a
> >drop down there for "Source Files"

> >This should contain a list of directories that look like this.

> >$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\mfc
> >$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\src\atl
> >$(VCInstallDir)crt\src

> Yes, I have those.

> >If you ever had Beta2 on
> >your machine, you might want to delete the file "VCComponents.dat" which
is
> >located in your profiles directory.

> I have both a "VCComponents.dat" and a "VC Components.dat". The latter
> has fixed drive paths (the drive where I actually installed VS), while
> the former has the $(VCInstallDir) paths.

> > If this file is not there when Devenv
> >starts, we will repopulate the tools-options directories with the
defaults
> >from Setup. If you add custom directories, we will write this file out.

> >Let me know if this clears things up

> I've deleted that file (VCComponents.dat), but the problem persists. I
> get this error when I try to step into the MFC source:

> ---------------------------
> Find Source: viewedit.cpp
> ---------------------------
> f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\viewedit.cpp
> Path does not exist.
> Please verify the correct path was given.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------

> VS is actually installed on my H: drive

> The file has been re-created when I restarted VS.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:30:10 GMT
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location

Quote:
>Ok, lets look at what we think the macro $(VCInstallDir) evaluates out to.

>Open a VC++ Project (any type)
>Open the project property pages (Right click on the project in solution
>explorer).
>Select the property for "Output Directory".
>Select the drop down for the property, and choose edit.
>A string editing dialog should pop up.
>Click on the "Macros" button
>Look in the list for $(VCInstallDir)

>Does it have the correct value for the location where you installed VC?

Yes it does.

Quote:
>The main place where the de{*filter*} will look to see where matching sources
>file are located can be found off the Solution Properties pages. If you do a
>right click on the solution node and right click and select properties. The
>Debug Source File list should show the MFC folders.

It does - "H:\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE\vc7\atlmfc".

I notice that having searched for one file previously, it also lists
"f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\viewedit.cpp" in the
"Do not look for these source files" edit field.

Quote:
> If it doesn't, we might
>have a bug here, can you tell what the directory name looks like for where
>you installed VC7?

I installed to "H:\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET"

Quote:
>Which OS are you running out of curiosity?

WinXP Pro (Release)

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:41:55 GMT
 VC7 RC1 MFC library source paths don't default to the installed location
Turns out this is a bug in the Trial/Book edition that was handed out at
PDC.

To correct the problem,
- Right click on the solution node, and select properties.
- Navigate to the Debug Sources property page
- In the directory list, add the following directories

        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\crt\
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\src\mfc\
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\atlmfc\src\atl\

Of course you will use the directories that match your product install
directory.

The other option is when you do want to step into MFC/ATL src, it will ask
you with a dialog. Once you give it the correct path, it will remember that
newly added path for that solution.

We have confirmed this is not an issue with the Professional or Enterprise
version of VS.

--
Brick
VC++ Project Model

reserved

Quote:
> >Ok, lets look at what we think the macro $(VCInstallDir) evaluates out
to.

> >Open a VC++ Project (any type)
> >Open the project property pages (Right click on the project in solution
> >explorer).
> >Select the property for "Output Directory".
> >Select the drop down for the property, and choose edit.
> >A string editing dialog should pop up.
> >Click on the "Macros" button
> >Look in the list for $(VCInstallDir)

> >Does it have the correct value for the location where you installed VC?

> Yes it does.

> >The main place where the de{*filter*} will look to see where matching sources
> >file are located can be found off the Solution Properties pages. If you
do a
> >right click on the solution node and right click and select properties.
The
> >Debug Source File list should show the MFC folders.

> It does - "H:\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE\vc7\atlmfc".

> I notice that having searched for one file previously, it also lists
> "f:\vs70builds\9372\vc\mfcatl\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\viewedit.cpp" in the
> "Do not look for these source files" edit field.

> > If it doesn't, we might
> >have a bug here, can you tell what the directory name looks like for
where
> >you installed VC7?

> I installed to "H:\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET"

> >Which OS are you running out of curiosity?

> WinXP Pro (Release)

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:29:35 GMT

1. BUG with VC7 RC1 with an MFC AppWizard generated CEditView project

2. VC7.0: class template using declarations don't work

3. __FILE__ doesn't contain path in VC7 ?

4. don't can make Default field in dialog box

5. CListCtrl::OnNotify don't get notification messages (since installed IE5)

6. DON'T INSTALL VISUAL STUDIO 97

7. VC7 RC1 Wizards still show check box and radio button text clipped

8. Loki Library won't compile on VC7

9. Form++ Library with full MFC Source Code(Visual C++,MFC)

10. Form++ Library with full MFC Source Code(Visual C++,MFC)

11. Form++ Library with full MFC Source Code(Visual C++,MFC)

12. Form++ Library with full MFC Source Code(Visual C++,MFC)