Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Author Message
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll

Hello,

I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
oleacc.dll

I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

I did this and it does indeed work.

The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
problems for myself???

I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
95.

Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:01:44 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
It is the accessibility DLL. Stuff like:

CreateStdAccessibleProxy
GetRoleText
GetStateText

and so forth.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> oleacc.dll

> I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> I did this and it does indeed work.

> The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> problems for myself???

> I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> 95.

> Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:16:09 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
How does one "delay load" a DLL?   And why can't we just include the DLL as
part of the installation to solve the problem?

Quote:
> It is the accessibility DLL. Stuff like:

> CreateStdAccessibleProxy
> GetRoleText
> GetStateText

> and so forth.

> --
> MichKa

> Michael Kaplan
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

> International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
> C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

> > Hello,

> > I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> > written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> > On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> > oleacc.dll

> > I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> > this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> > I did this and it does indeed work.

> > The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> > application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> > dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> > Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> > problems for myself???

> > I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> > concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> > 95.

> > Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:37:17 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Add delayimp.lib to your linker libs and add the /delayload:oleacc.dll to
your linker command line.

OLEACC.DLL cannot be legally shipped on Windows 95.  Only an old English
version can be.  So if you have an international client base then you are
out of luck.

Ted.

Quote:
> How does one "delay load" a DLL?   And why can't we just include the DLL
as
> part of the installation to solve the problem?

wrote

> > It is the accessibility DLL. Stuff like:

> > CreateStdAccessibleProxy
> > GetRoleText
> > GetStateText

> > and so forth.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > Michael Kaplan
> > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

> > International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
> > C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

> > > Hello,

> > > I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> > > written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> > > On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> > > oleacc.dll

> > > I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> > > this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> > > I did this and it does indeed work.

> > > The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> > > application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> > > dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> > > Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> > > problems for myself???

> > > I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> > > concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> > > 95.

> > > Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:42:26 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
OLEACC.DLL will only be called if you call EnableActiveAccessibility.
Otherwise you should be OK(no guarantees 'cause I haven't checked it
thoroughly).

Ted.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> oleacc.dll

> I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> I did this and it does indeed work.

> The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> problems for myself???

> I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> 95.

> Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:07:01 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Do you have to statically link to MFC for this to work?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> oleacc.dll

> I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> I did this and it does indeed work.

> The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> problems for myself???

> I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> 95.

> Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:47:50 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Yes, unless you rebuild MFC DLLs (using a modified version of the provided
MAK file)

Ted.

Quote:
> Do you have to statically link to MFC for this to work?

> > Hello,

> > I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> > written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> > On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> > oleacc.dll

> > I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> > this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> > I did this and it does indeed work.

> > The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> > application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> > dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> > Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> > problems for myself???

> > I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> > concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> > 95.

> > Many thanks.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:18:02 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Ahh man.  I never static link DLLs.  Another hope:  I see that once in
awhile, the linker says something about "removing references to DLL XX,
since it wasn't referenced".   Wouldn't this help remove a reference to an
unused DLL?
Quote:

> Yes, unless you rebuild MFC DLLs (using a modified version of the provided
> MAK file)

> Ted.

> > Do you have to statically link to MFC for this to work?

> > > Hello,

> > > I have VC++.NET and have recompiled and linked an existing application
> > > written using VC++ v6. NOTE: I have statically linked to MFC.

> > > On testing on Windows 95 I get an error about a missing dll -
> > > oleacc.dll

> > > I did a trawl through www.deja.com and found that if I delay loaded
> > > this dll all should work fine on Win 95.

> > > I did this and it does indeed work.

> > > The question I have is that by delay loading the dll it allows the
> > > application to start up but surely when a function from the "missing
> > > dll" is needed I will get an exception on the Win 95 PC.

> > > Now I don't know what is in oleacc.dll but surely I am storing up
> > > problems for myself???

> > > I do appreciate that Win 95 is deprecated as far as Microsoft is
> > > concerned but I do still have people using my application that run Win
> > > 95.

> > > Many thanks.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:19:00 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
Um, not if you are using the DLL version (as you seemingly insist on
doing?). The DLL references it, the key is to make sure you do not use it.

Note that the static solution provides the workaround you wanted.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

Quote:
> Ahh man.  I never static link DLLs.  Another hope:  I see that once in
> awhile, the linker says something about "removing references to DLL XX,
> since it wasn't referenced".   Wouldn't this help remove a reference to an
> unused DLL?

> > Yes, unless you rebuild MFC DLLs (using a modified version of the
provided
> > MAK file)

> > Ted.

> > > Do you have to statically link to MFC for this to work?

Win

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:02:02 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
We distribute our app via the web, so dynamic linking the MFC DLL saves our
users precious download time (many of which are using dialup) since they
only have to download the DLL's once.  It sounds like our options are:

1.  Static link to MFC70 and delay load oleacc.dll (which means a larger
download for all customers)
2.  Stop supporting Win95 (which will make some number of our customers
unhappy)
3.  Provide a way for Win95 users to install Active Accessibility 1.2
(English only)

I guess I'll start looking into option 3 and see if that is going to work.

Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
> Um, not if you are using the DLL version (as you seemingly insist on
> doing?). The DLL references it, the key is to make sure you do not use it.

> Note that the static solution provides the workaround you wanted.

> --
> MichKa

> Michael Kaplan
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

> International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
> C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

> > Ahh man.  I never static link DLLs.  Another hope:  I see that once in
> > awhile, the linker says something about "removing references to DLL XX,
> > since it wasn't referenced".   Wouldn't this help remove a reference to
an
> > unused DLL?

> > > Yes, unless you rebuild MFC DLLs (using a modified version of the
> provided
> > > MAK file)

> > > Ted.

> application

> Win

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:08:50 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
The WIN95 oleacc.dll redist file you are looking for is MSAARDK.EXE -
however it is no longer on the Microsoft web site.

Ted.

Quote:
> We distribute our app via the web, so dynamic linking the MFC DLL saves
our
> users precious download time (many of which are using dialup) since they
> only have to download the DLL's once.  It sounds like our options are:

> 1.  Static link to MFC70 and delay load oleacc.dll (which means a larger
> download for all customers)
> 2.  Stop supporting Win95 (which will make some number of our customers
> unhappy)
> 3.  Provide a way for Win95 users to install Active Accessibility 1.2
> (English only)

> I guess I'll start looking into option 3 and see if that is going to work.

> Thanks,
> Dave

wrote

> > Um, not if you are using the DLL version (as you seemingly insist on
> > doing?). The DLL references it, the key is to make sure you do not use
it.

> > Note that the static solution provides the workaround you wanted.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > Michael Kaplan
> > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

> > International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
> > C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

> > > Ahh man.  I never static link DLLs.  Another hope:  I see that once in
> > > awhile, the linker says something about "removing references to DLL
XX,
> > > since it wasn't referenced".   Wouldn't this help remove a reference
> an
> > > unused DLL?

> > provided

> > application

> loaded

> "missing

> > Win

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:32:58 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll

actually, MSAARDK.EXE is available as part of the 1.3 SDK:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/activaxs/SDK/1.3/W95/EN-US/MSA...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample...

Ted.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:06:12 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll

Thanks.  I found the site earlier and finally got my app running on a Win95 machine.  The only other hitch so far was that I needed to have Windows Sockets 2 installed in order to get the ws2_32.dll so my app would run.  Anyway, at this point things look promising.  A little more testing and I'll feel good about releasing an MFC 7 version of our program.

Dave

  actually, MSAARDK.EXE is available as part of the 1.3 SDK:

  http://download.microsoft.com/download/activaxs/SDK/1.3/W95/EN-US/MSA...

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample...

  Ted.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:04:32 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
You could always go back the VC6.0 which is what I did.

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:49:05 GMT
 Delay Loading oleacc.dll
While I don't distribute over the web, I am also very size conscious.
However, I ALWAYS statically link EVERYTHING! I have been burned too many
times by shoddy installs downgrading necessary DLL's, installing private
DLL's in the system directory, etc...

To compensate for the size, I use Shrinker from Blinkinc.  It actually is
one of those inexpensive programs that just plain works.  It reduces my exe
sizes by 50% or more. I compile for speed, and use Shrinker to get the size
down.

wjm

Quote:
> We distribute our app via the web, so dynamic linking the MFC DLL saves
our
> users precious download time (many of which are using dialup) since they
> only have to download the DLL's once.  It sounds like our options are:

> 1.  Static link to MFC70 and delay load oleacc.dll (which means a larger
> download for all customers)
> 2.  Stop supporting Win95 (which will make some number of our customers
> unhappy)
> 3.  Provide a way for Win95 users to install Active Accessibility 1.2
> (English only)

> I guess I'll start looking into option 3 and see if that is going to work.

> Thanks,
> Dave

wrote

> > Um, not if you are using the DLL version (as you seemingly insist on
> > doing?). The DLL references it, the key is to make sure you do not use
it.

> > Note that the static solution provides the workaround you wanted.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > Michael Kaplan
> > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

> > International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
> > C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

> > > Ahh man.  I never static link DLLs.  Another hope:  I see that once in
> > > awhile, the linker says something about "removing references to DLL
XX,
> > > since it wasn't referenced".   Wouldn't this help remove a reference
> an
> > > unused DLL?

> > provided

> > application

> loaded

> "missing

> > Win

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:18:37 GMT

1. oleacc.dll -Active Accessability ...why is it loaded?

3. Delay Load DLL doesn't work for C++ DLL

4. delay load of DLLs

5. problem with delay loading DLLs

6. problem with delay loading DLLs

7. Delaying loading of DLLs

8. problem with delay loading DLLs

9. Delaying loading of DLLs

10. OLEACC.DLL error on Win95 for MFC apps

11. oleacc.dll problem

12. Unwanted use of 'OLEACC.dll'