no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
Author Message
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++

I've got a project that basically wraps a lot of native C++ stuff with
managed C++ wrappers. My intellisense never works in my managed C++ files.
The only project option differences between my native and my managed .cpp
files is that the one is compiled with /gc, and of course the managed also
use different precompiled headers. Is this expected behaviour?
.. In my native files intellisense if fine.
-Thanks.

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:13:26 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++

Quote:
> I've got a project that basically wraps a lot of native C++ stuff with
> managed C++ wrappers. My intellisense never works in my managed C++ files.
> The only project option differences between my native and my managed .cpp
> files is that the one is compiled with /gc, and of course the managed also
> use different precompiled headers. Is this expected behaviour?
> .. In my native files intellisense if fine.
> -Thanks.

No. That is not the expected behavior :) IntelliSense should work with all
your C++ files whether the code targets .NET or not.
Can you provide a simple example code where you experience this behavior?

Thanks,
--
Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:09:06 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
I'll try. But please look back here on Monday or so because I'm gone for the
weekend.

Quote:

> > I've got a project that basically wraps a lot of native C++ stuff with
> > managed C++ wrappers. My intellisense never works in my managed C++
files.
> > The only project option differences between my native and my managed
.cpp
> > files is that the one is compiled with /gc, and of course the managed
also
> > use different precompiled headers. Is this expected behaviour?
> > .. In my native files intellisense if fine.
> > -Thanks.

> No. That is not the expected behavior :) IntelliSense should work with all
> your C++ files whether the code targets .NET or not.
> Can you provide a simple example code where you experience this behavior?

> Thanks,
> --
> Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
rights.

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:00:47 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
I tried reproducing the problem in a fresh project but I couldn't break the
intellisense.
Nonetheless, I've narrowed it down in my own project to the use of
"public __gc class myclass ...".
If I change that to
"__gc public class myclass ..." then the intellisense works fine. This only
applies to
classes included from .h files. Classes that are defined inside a cpp file
do not exhibit
this behaviour. ????
The use of "__gc public" complies and works fine so I'll stick with that,
but I guess it must be
a bug somewhere in the intellisense code.

-Ben.

Quote:

> > I've got a project that basically wraps a lot of native C++ stuff with
> > managed C++ wrappers. My intellisense never works in my managed C++
files.
> > The only project option differences between my native and my managed
.cpp
> > files is that the one is compiled with /gc, and of course the managed
also
> > use different precompiled headers. Is this expected behaviour?
> > .. In my native files intellisense if fine.
> > -Thanks.

> No. That is not the expected behavior :) IntelliSense should work with all
> your C++ files whether the code targets .NET or not.
> Can you provide a simple example code where you experience this behavior?

> Thanks,
> --
> Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
rights.

Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:58:09 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
Would it be possible to send me your project's ".NCB" file and the offending
".CPP" file?
We need this for our QA team reproduce this bug.

Thanks,
--
Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team

> I tried reproducing the problem in a fresh project but I couldn't break
the
> intellisense.
> Nonetheless, I've narrowed it down in my own project to the use of
> "public __gc class myclass ...".
> If I change that to
> "__gc public class myclass ..." then the intellisense works fine. This
only
> applies to
> classes included from .h files. Classes that are defined inside a cpp file
> do not exhibit
> this behaviour. ????
> The use of "__gc public" complies and works fine so I'll stick with that,
> but I guess it must be
> a bug somewhere in the intellisense code.

> -Ben.

> > > I've got a project that basically wraps a lot of native C++ stuff with
> > > managed C++ wrappers. My intellisense never works in my managed C++
> files.
> > > The only project option differences between my native and my managed
> .cpp
> > > files is that the one is compiled with /gc, and of course the managed
> also
> > > use different precompiled headers. Is this expected behaviour?
> > > .. In my native files intellisense if fine.
> > > -Thanks.

> > No. That is not the expected behavior :) IntelliSense should work with
all
> > your C++ files whether the code targets .NET or not.
> > Can you provide a simple example code where you experience this
behavior?

> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
> rights.

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:35:04 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
I'm sorry but I can't isolate the problem to a few files.
I'm getting more peculiarity now:
In my non-managed classes, certain functions appear to be
recognized in the top bar, along with the relevant class, but as
soon as I click on the function name to browse to another function
in the class, the list box becomes empty.
It's getting rather painful to work, as this virus is infiltrating my core
classes which are quite big.
Are there recognized bugs in the current VC.Net that will be fixed
in the next release? I'm just hoping I'm one of those cases.
-Ben.

Quote:
> Would it be possible to send me your project's ".NCB" file and the
offending
> ".CPP" file?
> We need this for our QA team reproduce this bug.

> Thanks,
> --
> Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
rights.

> > I tried reproducing the problem in a fresh project but I couldn't break
> the
> > intellisense.
> > Nonetheless, I've narrowed it down in my own project to the use of
> > "public __gc class myclass ...".
> > If I change that to
> > "__gc public class myclass ..." then the intellisense works fine. This
> only
> > applies to
> > classes included from .h files. Classes that are defined inside a cpp
file
> > do not exhibit
> > this behaviour. ????
> > The use of "__gc public" complies and works fine so I'll stick with
that,
> > but I guess it must be
> > a bug somewhere in the intellisense code.

> > -Ben.

> > files.
> > .cpp
> > also

> > > No. That is not the expected behavior :) IntelliSense should work with
> all
> > > your C++ files whether the code targets .NET or not.
> > > Can you provide a simple example code where you experience this
> behavior?

> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
> > rights.

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:23:08 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++

Quote:
> I'm sorry but I can't isolate the problem to a few files.

You don't need to isolate the problem to a few files. If you send me the
solution ".NCB" file and *any* solution ".cpp" file where you face this
problem, we can track it down.

> Are there recognized bugs in the current VC.net that will be fixed
> in the next release? I'm just hoping I'm one of those cases.

We fixed quite a few source browsing bugs in our next release. However, we
need to reproduce your problem in our labs before we can tell whether this
is one of them.

Thanks,
--
Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team

Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:54:02 GMT
 no Intellisense with mixed Managed/Native C++
Thanks, I wasn't aware that that was all you needed.
I'll prepare an example and send it to you.

Quote:

> > I'm sorry but I can't isolate the problem to a few files.

> You don't need to isolate the problem to a few files. If you send me the
> solution ".NCB" file and *any* solution ".cpp" file where you face this
> problem, we can track it down.

> > Are there recognized bugs in the current VC.net that will be fixed
> > in the next release? I'm just hoping I'm one of those cases.

> We fixed quite a few source browsing bugs in our next release. However, we
> need to reproduce your problem in our labs before we can tell whether this
> is one of them.

> Thanks,
> --
> Tarek Madkour   ---   Program Manager - Visual C++ IDE Team
rights.

Sun, 03 Apr 2005 02:47:17 GMT

1. can't step through mixed managed/native code

2. Fatal Error C1010 in Mixing Managed C++ and Unmanaged C++ Code

3. IntelliSense not recognizing C# classes from Managed C++

4. Enums and Intellisense in VS.NET using Managed C++ extensions

5. mixing unmanaged and managed C++

6. Try to get DirectX started in the Mixed Managed and Unmanaged C++ Programming

7. Mixing Managed and Unmanaged C++

8. Debugging mixed managed/unmanaged c++ code

9. Mixing MFC and native Win32

10. Conversion of native char* to managed array

11. VC++ managed code compiles to native?

12. Using native buffers in managed code?